If you could spend $600 on a new RC Short Track Truck, What would you buy and why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you could spend $600 on a new RC Short Track Truck, What would you buy and why?
By short track, i am going to assume you mean short course. In that case, i wouldn't go that high price wise, but, i would ask this question. Are you looking to go racing with it? If so, i would look at either Team Associated for the ProSC10 RTR, or the RC10SC kit, or a Team Losi 22SCT 2WD or a TEN-SCTE 4WD. Back when i used to race, they were the only companies i would even consider. Team Associated has a verified racing pedigree, and make very durable vehicles (i raced both an SC10 2WD and an SC10 4WD), parts support is very good, and, unless something changed, customer service was always excellent. Same goes with TLR (Team Losi Racing). I only raced one TLR truck (Losi XXX-SCT), and both held up pretty much the same, although, my personal opinion, the TA was a bit more susceptible to adjustment issues at times, but the RC10 4WD is still my all time favorite truck. For bashing, i stayed with both Losi (22S) and Team Associated (ProSC10), although, i don't have the TA anymore. For 4WD basher, went to an almost unknown company, DHK Hobby, and bought both a brushed and a brushless Hunter SCT. It turned out to be a very worthwhile buy, even buying them used on eBay. I have had very few breakages, and i am very hard on my bashers, and, even the few things that did break cost me less than $30 so far between the two trucks in over a year. The only downside to DHK is you can only get them here: https://rchobbyexplosion.com/ or eBay.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...ZFmzagVP25D5W4uaOpFv21ixZmp_-PN8aAt_IEALw_wcB
Trust me when I say this is hands down the best. I raced the sct class nothing came close to it.
This ^
I like how beefy the lower front and rear arms are.
If you break one of those a arms you need help.

The ones on the ET48 are pretty chunky too.

ET48.3 on top, Arrma Outcast on bottom. Both arms are front lowers.
20210117_174414.jpg

By short track, i am going to assume you mean short course. In that case, i wouldn't go that high price wise, but, i would ask this question. Are you looking to go racing with it? If so, i would look at either Team Associated for the ProSC10 RTR, or the RC10SC kit, or a Team Losi 22SCT 2WD or a TEN-SCTE 4WD. Back when i used to race, they were the only companies i would even consider. Team Associated has a verified racing pedigree, and make very durable vehicles (i raced both an SC10 2WD and an SC10 4WD), parts support is very good, and, unless something changed, customer service was always excellent. Same goes with TLR (Team Losi Racing). I only raced one TLR truck (Losi XXX-SCT), and both held up pretty much the same, although, my personal opinion, the TA was a bit more susceptible to adjustment issues at times, but the RC10 4WD is still my all time favorite truck. For bashing, i stayed with both Losi (22S) and Team Associated (ProSC10), although, i don't have the TA anymore. For 4WD basher, went to an almost unknown company, DHK Hobby, and bought both a brushed and a brushless Hunter SCT. It turned out to be a very worthwhile buy, even buying them used on eBay. I have had very few breakages, and i am very hard on my bashers, and, even the few things that did break cost me less than $30 so far between the two trucks in over a year. The only downside to DHK is you can only get them here: https://rchobbyexplosion.com/ or eBay.
Senton 6s and I did...well, $525
THE ALMIGHTY KING OF SCT
SENTON 6S
While a few of you are saying to go with 6S (and it's a valid statement in the world of 2S-8S vehicles), the better question is as biggman posted: 'are you looking to go racing with it?' Most race tracks won't allow much over 2S .. so 6S is definitely not gonna happen if this is the case. For racing, I'll echo biggman's suggestions: TA / TLR - and add Tekno and XRay.

For non racing, most of the 4S / 6S SCT's will work just fine (Arrma and several other brands).

Last edited:
Racing isn't brought up by the OP. I'd say most of us do this for fun. Just my, and I am a noob, observation of this hobby is there are two extremes folks seek; speed or realism. Those who run for fun, from bashers to road racers to drifters seek speed while others who run for fun seek realistic scale and go over rocks at 5-10mph really just want torque. I don't see very many posts from crawlers here. In fact, ARRMA seems to have made its name designing tough rcs with "balls to the wall" speed. Someone seeking a sanctioned race vehicle wouldn't be a noob or really even asking our recommendations.
If any of this is wrong just remember, I have been involved less than 6 months. Im only pointing out what I have observed in this short time. The only sanctioned races I have seen are those little buggies racing the indoor track at my LHS and those races seem to be more about maneuvers, timing, and set ups of their buggies.

Racing isn't brought up by the OP. I'd say most of us do this for fun. Just my, and I am a noob, observation of this hobby is there are two extremes folks seek; speed or realism. Those who run for fun, from bashers to road racers to drifters seek speed while others who run for fun seek realistic scale and go over rocks at 5-10mph really just want torque. I don't see very many posts from crawlers here. In fact, ARRMA seems to have made its name designing tough rcs with "balls to the wall" speed. Someone seeking a sanctioned race vehicle wouldn't be a noob or really even asking our recommendations.
If any of this is wrong just remember, I have been involved less than 6 months. Im only pointing out what I have observed in this short time. The only sanctioned races I have seen are those little buggies racing the indoor track at my LHS and those races seem to be more about maneuvers, timing, and set ups of their buggies.
Actually, racing is more popular than you think, and not everyone trying to get into racing is a seasoned racer. We all have to start somewhere. Where i am at, the nearest LHS is 60 miles away, and, in that distance, there are more than a dozen indoor and outdoor, public and invitation only tracks, and a search across just the east coast shows a ton of them, especially in the south. NC has over 30 listed, and SC has almost that many. If you add up just NC, SC, IL, and GA, there are over a 100 listed tracks. N.Y. and CA have the most overall, so, if there are that many listed, how many arent listed? Here is just one list of tracks by state: https://www.rccaraction.com/rccarstrackdirectory#visitor_pref_pop You may not see as many racers asking questions on the Arrma forum, but, there are quite a few on the RC Talk forum.

True, racing isn't brought up - but by the same token, you're assuming that the user did not mean it - hence the question for clarification. Maybe the user had not thought of it until now - but really would like to have the option to do both, race and have fun. There are many 'race spec' vehicles which are perfectly fine for newbies. Just like any other class of vehicle, as pertains to racing, there is entry level, mid grade and full race spec. Additionally, the race groups are setup accordingly - they will not put a bunch of expert drivers against a beginner. While going balls out in an open field is fun, it's also fun being able to navigate a closed course with other vehicles on it.

I believe everyone here can appreciate your views and thoughts. Some of us have been actively involved in the hobby for decades. Your ideas are not wrong, but there is a much bigger field than you propose - and that's what we should be asking to newbies. Otherwise, we're telling them where we want them to be, which may or may not be right - and may or may not have them enjoying (and extending / expanding) the hobby.

Last edited:
Actually, racing is more popular than you think, and not everyone trying to get into racing is a seasoned racer. We all have to start somewhere. Where i am at, the nearest LHS is 60 miles away, and, in that distance, there are more than a dozen indoor and outdoor, public and invitation only tracks, and a search across just the east coast shows a ton of them, especially in the south. NC has over 30 listed, and SC has almost that many. If you add up just NC, SC, IL, and GA, there are over a 100 listed tracks. N.Y. and CA have the most overall, so, if there are that many listed, how many arent listed? Here is just one list of tracks by state: https://www.rccaraction.com/rccarstrackdirectory#visitor_pref_pop You may not see as many racers asking questions on the Arrma forum, but, there are quite a few on the RC Talk forum.
Man, I WISH there was that much around me(Ontario, Canada). There is a "club" in my region with a decent track not too far away that im looking into signing the boys and I up with. Still need more research, but it seems Nitro focused. Basically, I got into this at the wrong time. Covid has everything thrown out of wack. I got into this looking to have quality outdoor time with my son when options became limited. And before it just isn't cool for him to hang with his old man anymore...lol
True, racing isn't brought up - but by the same token, you're assuming that the user did not mean it - hence the question for clarification. Maybe the user had not thought of it until now - but really would like to have the option to do both, race and have fun. There are many 'race spec' vehicles which are perfectly fine for newbies. Just like any other class of vehicle, as pertains to racing, there is entry level, mid grade and full race spec. Additionally, the race groups are setup accordingly - they will not put a bunch of expert drivers against a beginner. While going balls out in an open field is fun, it's also fun being able to navigate a closed course with other vehicles on it.

I believe everyone here can appreciate your views and thoughts. Some of us have been actively involved in the hobby for decades. Your ideas are not wrong, but there is a much bigger field than you propose - and that's what we should be asking to newbies. Otherwise, we're telling them where we want them to be, which may or may not be right - and may or may not have them enjoying (and extending / expanding) the hobby.
I hear you. And thats exactly why I point out the noob status. But point taken.
Possibly because of Covid, I'm not getting that full scope of the field(not as many postings?), but Google and Yubtube seem dominated by bashers, road racers, custom builds, and crawlers. With crawlers seemingly having the most interest, parts, models, "clubs" and posts.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back