Big Rock I'm a newbie to rc's and I just ordered my first one, the Big Rock. What's the first thing I should do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jester13

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
I'm a newbie to rc's and I just ordered my first one, the Big Rock. What's the first thing I should do after I get it out the box? I've seen different things about the wheels and motor mount. Any ideas?

Hello and Welcome to the forum, first thing I like to do is go over eveything and make sure eveything seems to be in good working order ( wheels spin smooth arms move freely, etc, and I also check every nut and screw, bolt to make sure none are loose.

Yea what they said and endpoints on the servo very important and when you take it out take it easy make sure everything sounds right and works right before you give it hell lol respect your rc and remember you have a warranty with horizan so don't get too worked up if something breaks ( 🤞🏼)

Yep. Check all the screws are right. Maybe loctite the stubs in the axle as they will come out at some point. Upgrade or replace when you need to. I genuinely think a lot of upgrades don't do a great amount and a lot of trouble can be avoided by improving driving skills; don't land on full throttle; don't do 10 minute donuts; don't crash into a tree etc etc. And skate parks are lethal unless you're on it - and even then it's a harsh environment. Absolutely change things if you want your truck to look different (and things such as wings and roll hoops will definitely protect the body) but enjoy it first before you spend £££s fixing what isn't broken.

Steering and throttle calibration

Set punch to 5

Loc-tite the axles to the driveshafts

I'd also advise taking steps to save your motor bearing, but that can be a complicated process to do right from the start. As for upgrades, drive it, find out what breaks, don't upgrade anything unless you need to.

Last edited:
Drive and have Fun.
Save money for parts.
Jennysrc will be your friend with stock parts.
Rabbit hole of thinking of things to upgrade

Be prepared for the metal rods on the shocks to pull out of the perches on the bottom. Upgrade shocks or put them back in with epoxy. Buy a few spurs or a metal spur. Buy a servo on Amazon for $20 and be preapred to replace current one. Locktite the wheels where they connect from inside to the differentials and the her nut on the outside.

Run the crap outta it like they do on YouTube and be prepared to fix something broken every 4-6 battery packs.

Run the crap outta it like they do on YouTube and be prepared to fix something broken every 4-6 battery packs.

4-6 packs is ambitious if you drive like the big time RC youtubers. I think their videos set newbies up for a fail. Someone like Tomley RC who is a confessed 'light' basher might be a good one to learn of but even he is doing backflips at a skatepark.

4-6 packs is ambitious if you drive like the big time RC youtubers. I think their videos set newbies up for a fail. Someone like Tomley RC who is a confessed 'light' basher might be a good one to learn of but even he is doing backflips at a skatepark.
Agree. Those guys are experienced and know how to control the trucks mid-air.

Yea and can edit vids when they do breakdown. So no one can even tell. And of course almost unlimited parts. 😆
Agreed. While I love videos from Duperdash and RCDude81 I don't think anyone should believe they are impartial. They are clearly promoting and supported by Arrma/Horizon Hobby. I'm pretty sure they are not allowed to run a Traxxas. They get vehicles in advance, presumably for free with replacement parts. While they do occasionally show breaks, they don't show all of them. Landing on the wheels makes a huge difference, but there is no way they haven't bent motor mounts/axles/turnbuckles and popped multiple driveshafts on their 3s rigs. They have many upgrades for parts they've never shown broken. There is no reason to upgrade if they weren't breaking.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. When I get the money, I'll get the extra parts you guys mentioned. And I'm not planning on going all out for awhile, I still have to learn to drive it well before I go nuts.

Thanks for all the info. When I get the money, I'll get the extra parts you guys mentioned. And I'm not planning on going all out for awhile, I still have to learn to drive it well before I go nuts.
I got into this hobby about a month ago. Have 4 cars already. And MAN have I spent some money by breaking poop via watching YouTube videos and wanting to do all that cool poop. I completely went through all my vehicles and tightened things down. Blue loctite on most parts prone to popping off or coming loose. And I go out and go very easy on the vehicles and focus on basics and fundamentals and not get crazy and honesty the learning process and seeing myself get better is more fun! I do hope one day to be able to confidently do some fun jumps and all that. But you can get very frustrated and drain the wallet if you just go nuts and think these cars are indestructible.

I got into this hobby about a month ago. Have 4 cars already. And MAN have I spent some money by breaking poop via watching YouTube videos and wanting to do all that cool poop. I completely went through all my vehicles and tightened things down. Blue loctite on most parts prone to popping off or coming loose. And I go out and go very easy on the vehicles and focus on basics and fundamentals and not get crazy and honesty the learning process and seeing myself get better is more fun! I do hope one day to be able to confidently do some fun jumps and all that. But you can get very frustrated and drain the wallet if you just go nuts and think these cars are indestructible.
Well said sir!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back