I'm lost! Upgrade spur gear??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rummy12

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
hello everyone!

I've had my granite bls for about a year now and I've been having a blast bashing it and then learning how to fix it but now I'm stumped! My spur hear went out today and I have no idea how to work on gears or differentials. I wanna know if I can upgrade it to a more durable one without completely changing everything in the whole differential. The stock gear is 87t 48dp. Also, if any has any info or videos on how to rebuild/grease a differential I would appreciate it! Thanks in advance and happy holidays!

No need to upgrade brother, the stock one can handle plenty of power. Chances are the mesh between your spur and pinion was too loose and that is what caused it to strip. Even when set properly, that mesh can come out of spec from a hard rear end impact or just from the right screws vibrating loose over time.

Throw a stocker back on there and keep a closer eye on it.

No need to upgrade brother, the stock one can handle plenty of power. Chances are the mesh between your spur and pinion was too loose and that is what caused it to strip. Even when set properly, that mesh can come out of spec from a hard rear end impact or just from the right screws vibrating loose over time.

Throw a stocker back on there and keep a closer eye on it.
Thank you!

Also, Yesterday before I stripped the spur gear, pretty much every other time I went over a jump after it landed it would shut off and then turn back on. Any idea why that was happening?

A stock replacement is fine, if you must upgrade try a derlin one, metal spur will only put more stress on other parts inside the transmission. I've had traxxas 2wd electrics for years and we have a 2wd sc10 and the stockers are fine. Periodically check tour gear mesh, especially when you tumble or have a rear collision.

You could buy the stock BLX spur/pinion combo: 32p (or .8 modulus) 15/57 (for Fury that is, please check the manual if the Granite uses the same gearing)
There are 14T and 13T pinions available too, but technically the 15/57 has almost the same gear rate as the 22/87 (Fury).

32p is more durable than the smaller teeth 48p gear modulus or constant. Nevertheless regular check-up of the fitting between those two gears should be part of your maintenance routine.
Especially jumping your vehicle could move the motor, which changes the fitting of those gears.

Not sure, but does the BLS have a plastic motorplate? If so, I would recommend upgrading to the BLX motorplate.
Please check here on the forum how to do this. I recall the plastic plate is fixed to the structure.

Don't stress out working on the Differentials. Pull up a video on youtube of how to do it. I just did mine for the first time this week. I had to hit pause every now and then, but I set up my work station just like the guy in the video did, and just moved with him step by step. Not only do you learn to work on an intimidating piece of your car, but you get to see how and why differentials work. I was more scared of differentials than I was of Soldering Battery connections. I had the hobby shop do my connections, but they just closed their doors forever, and were terribly slow at repairs. So I had to do it myself. Was not nearly as tough as I thought it would be.

Don't stress out working on the Differentials. Pull up a video on youtube of how to do it. I just did mine for the first time this week. I had to hit pause every now and then, but I set up my work station just like the guy in the video did, and just moved with him step by step. Not only do you learn to work on an intimidating piece of your car, but you get to see how and why differentials work. I was more scared of differentials than I was of Soldering Battery connections. I had the hobby shop do my connections, but they just closed their doors forever, and were terribly slow at repairs. So I had to do it myself. Was not nearly as tough as I thought it would be.

Wrong topic?
This one is about the spurgear ;)

Wrong topic?
This one is about the spurgear ;)

Yep you are right. Just offering an encouraging word to the OP. He didn't know anything about Gears or Differentials. Neither did/do I, but I was able to do the work.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back