Senton I'm new to RC's and decided to make the Senton my own

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indoyota

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey, new to the hobby and have already customizing my Senton 3s. So far, 15t gear, granite tires, extended body posts, bigrock sides, proline oldschool ford body. upgraded motor fan, and the dust/dirt shroud.

IMG_20201122_110528082.jpg
IMG_20201122_110537052.jpg

So, after these pics were takin, i installed the shroud and changed the sides to the bigrock ones. Also, after one run, the body cracked and the paint was chipping and cracking everywhere. I didnt use the correct paints. I do scale modeling, so, i had acrylic paints. I guess there are paints designed for flexing. Oh well, I'm planning on getting the 80's dodge truck one and learn from my mistakes on this body.

What can i do to beef the body up? Thanks! Hope to have some more fun in the future with this rig.

If you want to beef up /make the body strong to preserve that nice Paint job, Use Drywall tape Mesh and Shoogoo/E6000. Line the whole inside of the body with Tape first then place Shoogoo over all of it . Let dry overnight. And this will make it last longer for sure.
Yeah you can ONLY use Polycarbonate paint on Polycarbonate. It sticks and remais flexible for the most part. Anything else will never stay put. That body is a nice looking Shelf Queen now. (y)

Nice job. Looks really good..Shoe goo and fiber tape is the way, some use gorilla tape. I haven't tried that so can't comment.

What did you use to extend the body?

Nice job. Looks really good..Shoe goo and fiber tape is the way, some use gorilla tape. I haven't tried that so can't comment.

What did you use to extend the body?
Well, i ordered the body mount kit for the Mojave. I thought it was for the 3s senton. I also ordered the body post kit, thinking i could use that. No go. So, i decided to go to Lowe's and get some nylon spacers and drilled them out bigger. Then, i took the body posts from the mojave kit and cut it down and installed it in the orginal mounts on the 3s. Next i slipped the nylon spacers on the posts then the 3s mount onto the nylon spacer (i used super glue to attach them all). The pre-drilled holes on the mojave kit allowed me easily use the screws to secure them down. You can see the spacers on the forward mount in the second pic. Kinda hard to explain it all via text.

Well, i ordered the body mount kit for the Mojave. I thought it was for the 3s senton. I also ordered the body post kit, thinking i could use that. No go. So, i decided to go to Lowe's and get some nylon spacers and drilled them out bigger. Then, i took the body posts from the mojave kit and cut it down and installed it in the orginal mounts on the 3s. Next i slipped the nylon spacers on the posts then the 3s mount onto the nylon spacer (i used super glue to attach them all). The pre-drilled holes on the mojave kit allowed me easily use the screws to secure them down. You can see the spacers on the forward mount in the second pic. Kinda hard to explain it all via text.
welll you did a good job, it look high enough that there's no body rub.. I"m looking for ideas when i finally get around to turning my senton to a monster senton..i may try to do some kind of mod with the body post that came in with K6S or some cheap post extenders off ebay. thanks for sharing

welll you did a good job, it look high enough that there's no body rub.. I"m looking for ideas when i finally get around to turning my senton to a monster senton..i may try to do some kind of mod with the body post that came in with K6S or some cheap post extenders off ebay. thanks for sharing
Thanks! I'll have to take off the body and unscrew the mount in order to take some better pics. I'll try to do that tomorrow.

thanks. how does it drive, compared to the senton body/wheels?

thanks. how does it drive, compared to the senton body/wheels?
I like it alot better. I run it around my house. Mostly grass and gravel. So, the bigger tires help. I think it does tend to flip a little more than with the stock wheels. Body is definitely cooler looking. But, alot more fragile. Gonna have to beef it up if i want it to last for more than one run.

So, i took some quick pics, but didnt take the body mount off (had company over).

IMG_20201123_143536948.jpg

I cut the Post down to the top of the 3 holes. Then installed and screwed these posts into the normal install locations. As shown below.

IMG_20201123_143605681.jpg

Installed the nylon spacers by sliding ontop of the posts, then slide the mount into the nylon spacers.

IMG_20201123_143622276.jpg

Same thing here too.

IMG_20201123_143631797.jpg

Another view.

Check out my tread. Wont help too much with scratching I've been having some spectacular cartwheels and flips on pavement and into trees. So far its holding up
Hey, new to the hobby and have already customizing my Senton 3s. So far, 15t gear, granite tires, extended body posts, bigrock sides, proline oldschool ford body. upgraded motor fan, and the dust/dirt shroud.

View attachment 110468View attachment 110469

So, after these pics were takin, i installed the shroud and changed the sides to the bigrock ones. Also, after one run, the body cracked and the paint was chipping and cracking everywhere. I didnt use the correct paints. I do scale modeling, so, i had acrylic paints. I guess there are paints designed for flexing. Oh well, I'm planning on getting the 80's dodge truck one and learn from my mistakes on this body.

What can i do to beef the body up? Thanks! Hope to have some more fun in the future with this rig.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/chronicles-of-a-senton-noob.29695/

Only issue I had was separation from cold weather. And I put her through hell on pavement.

Check out my tread. Wont help too much with scratching I've been having some spectacular cartwheels and flips on pavement and into trees. So far its holding up
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/chronicles-of-a-senton-noob.29695/

Only issue I had was separation from cold weather. And I put her through hell on pavement.
So, i went out today and grabbed some FlexSeal. Gonna experiment with it and lay a few coats down. But, that body build you did is pretty beefy. Good job.

So, i went out today and grabbed some FlexSeal. Gonna experiment with it and lay a few coats down. But, that body build you did is pretty beefy. Good job.
don't see why flexseal wouldn't work. Body would still crack with the right smack but the tape should flex while adhering to body, thus retaining the body while cracked. The 4" width will help and layers would be good.
I have an idea of using that automotive mesh, heating it to a very soft texture with heat gun, pressing it into the body before it cools. This should retain the shape and then use epoxide glue(purest epoxy and best permanent adhesive to polycarbonate) and doing 2 layers. When done, take 1/4 vinyl tubing slit open and trimming entire body perimeter.

But the undercoat worked wonders until it got cold.

What if you did a layer of carbon fiber?
A novel idea yet it likely wouldn't work. And here's why: although carbon fibre has a very high tensile strength(stronger than steel) it needs to be done right and prepared structurally with advanced engineering to be effective. Most carbon fibre products do not contain a very high level of manufacturing process or preparation and really amount to little more than fibreglass. Because while it has strength and is lightweight, its also VERY brittle. It breaks and cracks with the right forces in the right places, most of what we see breaking our rc bodies to begin with.
A good visible example of this can be seen doing a damage comparison between quality carbon fibre bicycle frames and the cheaper Chinese bicycle carbon fibre frames. Aptly put, there is a good reason why top carbon fibre frame manufacturers are charging thousands of dollars more. The frame is engineered to take the strains present in bicycles. Thicknesses and structural support are more important than the carbon fibre itself.
To summarize: one cartwheel or one smack into a stationary object will shatter the body. Unless of course, you get an engineering team to design and molders to follow their designs and have a market available of people willing to spend $500 or more on a body. Even then it could still break. Murphy is a persistent SoB with his law.

A novel idea yet it likely wouldn't work. And here's why: although carbon fibre has a very high tensile strength(stronger than steel) it needs to be done right and prepared structurally with advanced engineering to be effective. Most carbon fibre products do not contain a very high level of manufacturing process or preparation and really amount to little more than fibreglass. Because while it has strength and is lightweight, its also VERY brittle. It breaks and cracks with the right forces in the right places, most of what we see breaking our rc bodies to begin with.
A good visible example of this can be seen doing a damage comparison between quality carbon fibre bicycle frames and the cheaper Chinese bicycle carbon fibre frames. Aptly put, there is a good reason why top carbon fibre frame manufacturers are charging thousands of dollars more. The frame is engineered to take the strains present in bicycles. Thicknesses and structural support are more important than the carbon fibre itself.
To summarize: one cartwheel or one smack into a stationary object will shatter the body. Unless of course, you get an engineering team to design and molders to follow their designs and have a market available of people willing to spend $500 or more on a body. Even then it could still break. Murphy is a persistent SoB with his law.
Yea, i was kinda hesitant to respond with the carbon fiber idea.

On other news, i tried out the flexseal. I'm not liking it so far. Maybe i sprayed too much on. But it didnt really stick to the paint and started to slide off and made the paint run. This body is already messed up. So, i'm gonna keep pushing on with the flex seal and will try multiple thin coats.

Yea, i was kinda hesitant to respond with the carbon fiber idea.

On other news, i tried out the flexseal. I'm not liking it so far. Maybe i sprayed too much on. But it didnt really stick to the paint and started to slide off and made the paint run. This body is already messed up. So, i'm gonna keep pushing on with the flex seal and will try multiple thin coats.
Interesting to know how that worked out. I thought you meant and was trying the tape.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back