Granite I'm trying to get out the motor bearings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mk_Rc

have a nice day arrma maniacs ✌
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
Hi, I need help ... one of my motor bearings failed and I decided to replace the motor bearings ... now I have a problem ... I can't get out of one of my bearings ... I knocked the middle part of the bearing out .. but the outer part is stuck inside ?
20200903_192250.jpg

I need advice on how to get out this part of the bearing so as not to damage other things. thank you very much for your help

Hi, I need help ... one of my motor bearings failed and I decided to replace the motor bearings ... now I have a problem ... I can't get out of one of my bearings ... I knocked the middle part of the bearing out .. but the outer part is stuck inside ?
View attachment 98074
I need advice on how to get out this part of the bearing so as not to damage other things. thank you very much for your help
You need to heat up the aluminum the bearing is in, try not to heat the bearing itself as much as possible. It may help by expanding the aluminum. Worst case, heat the whole thing up then gently beat the remainder of the bearing out.

Heat is the key, might not hurt to soak in some wd40 or something, then heat and beat ;)

maybe a machine thread long bolt would work . You would possibly need to take it with you to a hard ware store and try a couple . Bit of pressure on it and turn with a spanner once you have it threaded slightly should be able to pull it out

I’d give it a good soak on that end in some pb blaster or wd-40 for a day before I tried anything else.

I’d give it a good soak on that end in some pb blaster or wd-40 for a day before I tried anything else.

Lubricants may be futile if using heat.. the heat will cook any oil out long before it's ready to release especially pb blaster or wd40..

You need to heat up the aluminum the bearing is in, try not to heat the bearing itself as much as possible. It may help by expanding the aluminum. Worst case, heat the whole thing up then gently beat the remainder of the bearing out.

Heat is the key, might not hurt to soak in some wd40 or something, then heat and beat ;)
Thank you
Heat and beat! LOL! ;)
I like that one ?

i tried to warm it up with a burner but nothing happened ... i haven't try any lubricant so far and it seems to be right on tight where it is ... i damaged the hole from the back of the lid a bit when i tried to knock it out the rest of the bearing .... it's a bloody situation, so I don't know how successfully I can do it ... maybe more heat? I will try tomorrow again

Thank you

I like that one ?

i tried to warm it up with a burner but nothing happened ... i haven't try any lubricant so far and it seems to be right on tight where it is ... i damaged the hole from the back of the lid a bit when i tried to knock it out the rest of the bearing .... it's a bloody situation, so I don't know how successfully I can do it ... maybe more heat? I will try tomorrow again
Yeah man, I use a small torch lighter to heat my parts. Try heating the bearing and end cap then tap out the bearing with some force. It's already very damaged so no need to be nice but you're gonna need a lot of heat. A wd-40 bath would help break up and oxidation. Rust and tightness, the enemy ;)

Yeah man, I use a small torch lighter to heat my parts. Try heating the bearing and end cap then tap out the bearing with some force. It's already very damaged so no need to be nice but you're gonna need a lot of heat. A wd-40 bath would help break up and oxidation. Rust and tightness, the enemy ;)
i will try wd 40 and let it soften for a while and then try to warm up again ... hope for success ? thanks to everyone else with your tips ?

Had the same, tried it all. In the end took my dremel and drilled a hole in the cap. After that tapped the dirty, rusty stock bearing out, easy peasy ?. Cleaned everything, bit a grease, new bearing. Gorilla tape over the hole. Replacing butt end motor bearings in the future will now be very easy ?.

Had the same, tried it all. In the end took my dremel and drilled a hole in the cap. After that tapped the dirty, rusty stock bearing out, easy peasy ?. Cleaned everything, bit a grease, new bearing. Gorilla tape over the hole. Replacing butt end motor bearings in the future will now be very easy ?.
damn bearings, when they screw up, they screw up hard ... easy peasy yeah ? tomorrow I'm replacing motor bearings on all my cars ... better prevention than motor bearing failures ?

damn bearings, when they screw up, they screw up hard ... easy peasy yeah ? tomorrow I'm replacing motor bearings on all my cars ... better prevention than motor bearing failures ?
For future reference there is a method that most know as the bread method.
Essentially the bread acts as a hydraulic, squishing behind the bearing and pushing it out.

This video happens to be an member's

Essentially the bread acts as a hydraulic, squishing behind the bearing and pushing it out.

Tried that as well. Bearing came apart leaving the shield in the motor. So after that, heating, oiling, more heating, I just drilled a hole.

I had the same problem tonight. I drilled two 1mm holes through the aluminium can just to the side of the shaft hole. When I had drilled through the aluminium and hit the steel of the bearing outer I stopped drilling then knocked the bearing out with the drill bit and a small hammer. A little bit either side so it came out as straight as possible. A bit like this...oOo with the middle hole being the shaft hole and the side ones being the 1mm holes I drilled.
I reasoned that if you only drilled one hole and knocked it out, the bearing would come out at an angle and the new one wouldn't be a perfect fit as the aluminium would have bent a bit.

The problem I had was that the bearing failure caused the spur gear to get chewed up. When I went to undo the clutch, the screw snapped leaving some of the 2mm bolt stuck inside the aluminium clutch housing so now I need new clutch parts. Crap!

Last edited:
Lubricants may be futile if using heat.. the heat will cook any oil out long before it's ready to release especially pb blaster or wd40..
I don’t like to use heat if I can avoid it, I guess my post wasn’t super clear. I’d soak it and try free it up without the heat, at least that would be my first plan of attack. I just put my motor back together with some Trbrc ceramic hybrids, she sings now??

You beat me to it!!! I was literally just about to say this! For those wondering this is how you get a tough rear main seal out of a motor with a crap design. Oldest trick in the book I didn’t know it got forgotten by some!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back