Typhon In all seriousness, competitive buggy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I had a off road typhon my absolute favorite setup was car on 4s geared for like 60-65mph.the weight diffrences between 4s vs 6s changes car performance big time...roughly 1lb .handles much better,less strain on drivetrain, even wrecks are noticely less violent....car wound probly smoke a typhon on 6s on the track.
My race rig SCT's are for indoor carpet / turf and are limited to 2s . My Losi SCTE 3.0 with the Tekin RX8 Gen 3 / HW 3660 4 pole sensored 4300kv rips on 2s !!!! My SC6.1 2wd I run a Reedy 6.5 and that thing flies on 2s !!!! Sensored are so smoooooooth !!!! LOL

My race rig SCT's are for indoor carpet / turf and are limited to 2s . My Losi SCTE 3.0 with the Tekin RX8 Gen 3 / HW 3660 4 pole sensored 4300kv rips on 2s !!!! My SC6.1 2wd I run a Reedy 6.5 and that thing flies on 2s !!!! Sensored are so smoooooooth !!!! LOL
For track I bet 2s is perfect,what an ideal top speed ? I imagine geared for about 35-40mph on average track?

For track I bet 2s is perfect,what an ideal top speed ? I imagine geared for about 35-40mph on average track?
Hmmm, ? When the layout has a long straight away , maybe they get up to that , but usually the track has a bunch of turns / jumps / etc . This pic is about half the layout .

IMG_5150.JPG

TyphonTLR , do you already have a TLR Typhon , or you have to go buy one ? If you already have it , go with it . As others said , I'd take a trip to the track and hang out on a race night and watch what goes on . Build the buggy and go there on practice days to run it , there should be other racers there to ask questions to . At my LHS racetrack we were always willing to help out the newbies

I do. Just looking for info and setting expectations.

When I had a off road typhon my absolute favorite setup was car on 4s geared for like 60-65mph.the weight diffrences between 4s vs 6s changes car performance big time...roughly 1lb .handles much better,less strain on drivetrain, even wrecks are noticely less violent....car wound probly smoke a typhon on 6s on the track.
+1
yeah many here are used to bashing a Typhon on 6s. At the track you can't run 6s. Just the rule. And your lap times simply won't cut it. Rig becomes poorly balanced for technical driving. And its just Way overpowered this way.
I get 58 mph on 4s, fun just bashing my TLRT. Not sending it. However I do mostly techncial driving on a baseball diamond. Clearly I would have to gear down for any track. 30-35mph is usually what you are limited to on most tracks for best lap times. Gearing wise. This seems rather slow from a bashing perspective. But that's how it works.
Traditionally all 1/8 Track Buggies were 4s platforms to begin with.
6s just became a thing for Bashing, sending it.
On a confined technical track, driver input is a completely different world. And Reverse is locked out in competition FWIW.
Need to practice on a track like this to develope the skill.

Last edited:
My younger brother raced a typhon for several years in Northern Illinois clay tracks and he was very competitive with it.
It was relatively cheap compared to the higher end cars as well.
He always said that "practice, practice and more practice" to improve driving skills was most important.

The Typhon TLR is underrated IMO as a racing buggy, yes you would need to source some lighter duragno driveshafts, yes you would need change the motor mount to the v3 to lower weight and height of the motor, yes you'd need to buy durango springs to have tuning options.. and yes, you'd need to change the setup quite a bit from stock. but after that - if you want to be faster on the track - changing to other racing kit wouldnt make you faster, the Typhon is fully capable to be as fast as the other guys, and very nicely designed and durable and have more than enough tuning options.

for the top 50 drivers in the world.. no, but we're not talking about that level.

My 4s TLRT steers fine in Clay. Because I dialed her in. Running the right tires. There are many Pill mounts to dial her in. Many Race spec rigs offer the same. The TLRT manual is set up as a race manual of sorts. You need to follow the Manuals chart for Pill Mount configurations. If you never built a race spec rig before, you won't understand it well. Need to dial in Roll center and Ackerman. TLRT has a TLRT Ackerman Plate for this. Extra holes for dialing in.
When you race, you ONLY use 4s Lipos. A strict rule. Speeds are usually no faster than 30-35 mph on technical tracks. So if you are bashing your TLRT out in the wild on 6S, sure it will be a bear and not steer great. That is just Bashing.
TLRT is well balanced and follows the same platform as TEAM Durango did years past. A Kit built Race spec Arrma, when Hobbico owned Arrma.
The Typhon TLRT is a true 1/8 Buggy. It meets track specs down to the MM. Rear wing and all. The Cross Weight out the box is a perfect 50/50 with 4s electrics.(y)

The TLRT is kind of heavyish, yes. But I feel it can hang with most any Club level event. There are ways to keep it light. Again, using only 4s electrics and keeping with the Plastic front and rear braces. You don't want to add any Alloys or bumpers and skid plates. If anything use CF. Can't set it up as a basher. It will end up being a heavy Tank. NG for the track.
I know there are drawbacks with the TLRT for racing however. IMHO the Pivot ball design could use some revamping. Hasn't been updated in years. It is just fine for Bashing. Fr. Roll center needs to be dialed better. If you never raced before and want to casually give a try, the TLRT is an inexpensive way to start. Parts are in abundance compared to many $Race Kit$ brands. TA, TLR, Tekno, etc.
TLRT can be competitive.
Much is driver control in the end. Practice on the track. A pro driver can make any rig shine.
You really can't poopoo the TLRT. A Good value.
Want a real Track rig, better have some real coin in your wallet.
Tekno Buggy rules IMHO. It is not a Baller. ( No pivot balls, uses a C-hub front end)
I feel Ballers are harder to dial in. But the best Race Buggies out there happen to be ballers. Think $Mugen$. They have balling down to a science.
:cool:

Edit.
Race kit brands have better track support compared to the Arrma TLRT. For instance, TA, Tekno and TLR have Proven Setup sheets available by the pros to guide you with different tracks. Seems the TLRT is just a blank setup. And you start blind for the most part. Little track support. Arrma does not sponsor racing at the track. They are a Basher brand.
FWIW, you cannot compare the TLRT to a TLR buggy by any means. Two completely different designs/brands. HH owning both brands. They both share nothing, parts wise.
Arrma just used TLR branding to market this Typhon.
Excellent reply , analogy. I agree with you on Tekno products ,beautifully built, expensive and worth it , if you want to race.
My TLRT is a great rig to bash and drive compared to the big trucks. Much fun and forgiving if you don't make a turn. My Labrador goes bonkers for 45 minutes chasing and being chased. She digs Tamiya too !

20220923_191017.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back