Infraction Hobbywing max 6 combo on 8s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 4985 is rated for 3-6S and on a small tire road rig will most certainly overrev and self destruct.

A properly sized TP motor/gear would be a better mate.

Of course you can. Go for it. I say the motor can handle it for Speed passes if you are smart about it. Just make sure you have a Temp gun in hand and some pinion gears to dial her in. Are you just bashing/drifting this or actually speedrunning it?
8s is just a waste if just bashing it around, drifting and all. 6s is all you need for that. 6s can sometimes also be faster for speed running and more efficient than 8s. You be the judge. Getting to to break 3 digits with 6s initially will be a chore unto itself. But a stepping stone nonetheless. Its not just about the motor and Volts. The Infraction Hoonigan style truck body has Aero limitations. Another consideration.
The 4985 is rated for 3-6S and on a small tire road rig will most certainly overrev and self destruct.

A properly sized TP motor/gear would be a better mate.
It's all about the proper gearing ! Your answer seems to be a one size fits all rule there. (n)
I am sure there are many more better motor options out there, no doubt.
A gear speed calculator app will help to set that up.

My 2 cents.:cool:

Last edited:
Of course you can. Go for it. I say the motor can handle it for Speed passes if you are smart about it. Just make sure you have a Temp gun in hand and some pinion gears to dial her in. Are you just bashing/drifting this or actually speedrunning it?
8s is just a waste if just bashing it around, drifting and all. 6s is all you need for that. 6s can sometimes also be faster for speed running and more efficient than 8s. You be the judge. Getting to to break 3 digits with 6s initially will be a chore unto itself. But a stepping stone nonetheless. Its not just about the motor and Volts. The Infraction Hoonigan style truck body has Aero limitations. Another consideration.

It's all about the proper gearing ! Your answer seems to be a one size fits all rule there. (n)

Thank you bro

If i am using 8s im only doing speedruns so i will try it.

May the Speed Gods be with you. :) Trim the rear wing/spoiler and place a sheet of material... plastic or whatever onto to roll cage over the bed shown below.
She will be way more stable at 100+ mph speeds.

20230415_120309.jpg

Last edited:

If you want to gear for elementary speed goals on 8S then go for it, I’ve run the max6/4074 spektrum motor on 8S to 98mph. It was a week of R&D and not my cup of tea in simplicity, like crawling 😂 .

For bashing and all around use I would not recommend using that motor however in an infraction 👍

I easily get 98-101 mph on a stocker spektrum motor and ESC And that is 6s only. The Limit for stocker 6s electrics. 8s is over rated. It is not all about the voltage. 8s and 8s electrics can easily add a few pounds more weight to the equation.... Done right, 6s or 8s can get you to 140+ mph. Won't happen with Spektrum 6s electrics however. CC electrics are what you need. Or just deal with slower PB's.

I easily get 98-101 mph on a stocker spektrum motor and ESC And that is 6s only. The Limit for stocker 6s electrics. 8s is over rated. It is not all about the voltage. 8s and 8s electrics can easily add a few pounds more weight to the equation.... Done right, 6s or 8s can get you to 140+ mph. Won't happen with Spektrum 6s electrics however. CC electrics are what you need. Or just deal with slower PB's.
I use an actual 1:1 GPS for my real cars that require a smart device and is much more accurate with data and FPV, after this run and blowing a tire I said on-road is pointless. All risk, no reward 😂

I feel ya. Been there many times. I have dozens of tires that went south like yours. And I have limited areas for best "safe driving" speeds.
Blow outs have caused total losses 2 times with my Lim. It was cheaper to just buy another Lim roller both times at $400.00 each time. Tires are the least of the liability. And HOON's are not best for hardcore speed running passes. And if you drift/ "beat on" a set of any brand tires, then decide to open it up on a serious speed pass, you are just waiting to Fail and Pay for the damage that results with blow outs. :cool:
I only drift or beat on my worn out tires. Speed running gets my best and newest tires . Always. My tires are always balanced as well.
I will admit that I don't take out my speed runners as much any more. Because my wallet got all pissed off. :LOL:

Last edited:
There are a chunk of us around here who use the max 6 combo on 8s. One thing I think we all have in common is we change the bearings in the motor. They are cheap trash and should not be trusted with 8s. It's easy to change them though. Personally I went with boca bearings, I think I got the hybrid ceramics but I don't remember.

I had the max 6 combo in a felony that I ran on 8s with zero problems. I didn't even do speed runs and only bashed with it. While it's no longer in the felony the motor is now in the wifey stretched typhon and still working perfectly fine.

I wouldn't buy the max 6 combo with the intention of running it on 8s but if you do buy it and change the bearings it can definitely handle it imo.

There are a chunk of us around here who use the max 6 combo on 8s. One thing I think we all have in common is we change the bearings in the motor. They are cheap trash and should not be trusted with 8s. It's easy to change them though. Personally I went with boca bearings, I think I got the hybrid ceramics but I don't remember.

I had the max 6 combo in a felony that I ran on 8s with zero problems. I didn't even do speed runs and only bashed with it. While it's no longer in the felony the motor is now in the wifey stretched typhon and still working perfectly fine.

I wouldn't buy the max 6 combo with the intention of running it on 8s but if you do buy it and change the bearings it can definitely handle it imo.
Thank you for your answer,

Do you perhaps now the size of the bearing for the max 6?

Even many racers don't use Cermic BB's for the most part. The Pros use them in the diffs if anything. Where there is any speed advantage. Rarely used at the hubs. If you really want a slippery drive train, best to run Chromium Shielded (not Rubber sealed) BB's Like Schells or similar. Remove all the factory lube first and use a drop of Liberty Oil. But they will be shortlived running in the dirt. Makes no sense to run Ceramics with Rubber seals. Slows down due to friction.
I am a firm believer though, in using Ceramics in Motors when replacing the stockers. A BLX motor is only as good and durable as the BB's it has in them. Boca is always expensive for the most part. Not all of their stuff is worth it. Its your wallet. Back in the 1990's Boca was the go to for RC BB sets. And averaged around $100.+ per set back then. I think BB's were better made back then however. They lasted much longer than todays BB's. I still have old Boca BB's in many of my vintage RC's to this day. Teflon sealed BB's were the rage back then. They still are but super costly.

Last edited:
>>>>>
Jims Bearings makes decent Hybrid Ceramic Specific Motor BB's. And they list the sizes for the popular name brand motors. Prices are better. Ceramic motor BB's keep the motor cooler when getting to very high 8s voltage RPM's.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back