Granite Input Gear Bearing Removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put the input on a bench, gear side down, shaft up. Then use a thin flat head screwdriver to pry the race upward by twisting the head with it wedges between the gear head and the inner race. Don’t pry from the outer race or shield. Turn it 90 degrees and pry from the opposite side. Keep doing this until you need a fatter screwdriver. At the point you get it to where the upper bearing sat, it should slide off without a fight. This whole process takes me 5-10mins depending on how stubborn they are. New gears from JRC are always hard for me. They sometimes take 10 mins of patience and effort. Take your time and it will come off clean.

6957B751-4B04-4C73-B59B-556A81DB9201.jpeg

Then use a thin flat head screwdriver to pry the race upward by twisting the head with it wedges between the gear head and the inner race. Don’t pry from the outer race or shield.

The problem is that the inner race is so thin that if you twist the screwdriver, it will press on the shield unless the blade is only a couple of mm wide, in which case you won't get any leverage. In my case the problem was that this particular bearing wan't fully populated with balls so it had no structrual integrity.

Input Gear.jpg

It’s a mini puller, meant for precision work.
It's still going to pull on the outer race or the shield, just in a precise way:) If the bearing is wedged on tight enough to the input shaft, the bearing will disintegrate.

Last edited:
The problem is that the inner race is so thin that if you twist the screwdriver, it will press on the shield unless the blade is only a couple of mm wide, in which case you won't get any leverage. In my case the problem was that this particular bearing wan't fully populated with balls so it had no structrual integrity.

View attachment 88314

It's still going to pull on the outer race or the shield, just in a precise way:) If the bearing is wedged on tight enough to the input shaft, the bearing will disintegrate.
You can slowly dremel a relief in that race until it snaps open.

You can slowly dremel a relief in that race until it snaps open.
I was going to cut it off with a handsaw. It would take a while, but I'd be far less likely to cut into the input gear shaft.

I just bought a new input gear - I decided that the old one and I were never going to be happy with each other.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back