Granite install brushless motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tincho2019

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
Hello friends,
I am still not clear about the meaning of the KV in engines
That is why I wanted to ask those who know:

which engine is better for the senton mega 4X4?
Which car will be faster?

goolrc BL3660-3300KV "ESC 120A".

goolrc BL3650-5200KV "ESC 60A".

Thanks for the help and your time.

MAV

The kv rating is how many RPM the motor will spin per DC volt. So a 5200kv motor on 3S (12.6VDC) is 65,520 rpm. The 3300kv motor on the same 3S is 41,580 rpm.

BUT! If you look at the ESC rating, 60A vs 120A, you will see that they are not really apples to apples. The 120A ESC will likely support more than 3S. The 60A ESC may not even take 3S.

If you can only run 2S on the 5200kv but can run up to 4S on the 3300kv, the 3300kv will be faster. 43,680 vs 55,440 rpms.

You need to know more than kv ratings to choose.

First combo is a bigger (longer) motor too, 3660 = 36x60mm

Frankly I'd get something better than GoolRC if you can afford it.

But the 120A combo should be much better and run cooler in any car.

which engine is better for the senton mega 4X4?
Which car will be faster?

goolrc BL3660-3300KV "ESC 120A".

goolrc BL3650-5200KV "ESC 60A".

As mentioned KV is how many rpms the motor will spin per volt applied to the motor.
Important note here is that a higher KV motor will generate much more heat under the same conditions (traveling x speed)
Typically the high KV motors are reserved for very light weight on-road applications.

The ESCs are 60 amps and 120 amps. (pretty clear to see here one is double the power)
Most people have a pretty good concept of horsepower. Lets compare an early 90's 4 cylinder economy car that has 100hp versus a modern version with 200hp. The 100hp car is a horrible experience whereas the 200hp car is sporty and fun to drive.

Watts can be converted to horse power. 746 watts = 1 hp
amps * volts = watts
60amps * 12.6V = 756 watts (right around 1 hp)
120amps * 12.6v = 1512 watts ( around 2hp)

With a lower KV motor you would only need to gear up a bit to have the speed back while retaining less heat and way more power when looking at the specs of the "kit"

-Liberty

Hellos

Thank you very much for your comments and clarifications.
I will make the change, but I am waiting for some pieces like pinion gear, spur. etc.

The goolrc brand is not one of the best for what they tell me.
Which brand of engine do you recommend?
I have seen that some cars get up and as a result they sell some wheels for the back. Can this happen to me or is that for another scale?

Sorry for the ignorance but I'm just learning and I'm very excited.

MAV

Hellos

Thank you very much for your comments and clarifications.
I will make the change, but I am waiting for some pieces like pinion gear, spur. etc.

The goolrc brand is not one of the best for what they tell me.
Which brand of engine do you recommend?
I have seen that some cars get up and as a result they sell some wheels for the back. Can this happen to me or is that for another scale?

Sorry for the ignorance but I'm just learning and I'm very excited.

MAV

The Goolrc motors are for the most part pretty good it's the escs that are very hit and miss. For one reason or another I have fried a couple of the cheaper branded escs as well as the Goolrc. I have a few that are going strong though like the 120a one in my Granite it will not die I waterproofed it myself though. You want a brand to go with go with Hobbywing. I thought I saw that you were from Chile so I don't know what's available to you shipping wise. A Hobbywing SC8 and Goolrc motor could be a decent budget choice. You can get by with a 60a esc with 3650 size motors and maybe even a 3660 motor on 2s only but a 120a esc would be better for larger motors and running 3s possibly 4s lipos.

The wheels in the back I would assume you are talking about a wheelie bar. Yes a powerful motor and if you go with bigger tires you have more chance of lifting the front end up and will want a wheelie bar.

Stock spur is 48p so you want to make sure you get 48p pinions and if you get a motor with a 5mm shaft make sure you get 48p 5mm bore pinions which might be harder to source in your country.

If you go with a 32p spur then you need the parts for a BLX slipper assy. new motor mount and 32p pinions.

Thank you very much for answering.
Now I feel that I am more confused but I like it! jajajaja

This week I will get all this:

Arrma ar310773 HD Input Gear 17T
Hot Racing SATF891E Spur Gear 91T 48P Arrma 1/10 4x4 Mega
Arrma Typhon 4x4 3s Aluminum Mounting Engine-BLX Red

Additional I have 32P pinion gear (5MM) of different sizes (13T, 14T, 15T, 16T and 17T)
With all these accessories I am able to test the 2 engines that I mentioned or only one?

Can you tell me what to occupy and if it is okay what I buy in the US?
Thanks in advance

Thank you very much for answering.
Now I feel that I am more confused but I like it! jajajaja

This week I will get all this:

Arrma ar310773 HD Input Gear 17T
Hot Racing SATF891E Spur Gear 91T 48P Arrma 1/10 4x4 Mega
Arrma Typhon 4x4 3s Aluminum Mounting Engine-BLX Red

Additional I have 32P pinion gear (5MM) of different sizes (13T, 14T, 15T, 16T and 17T)
With all these accessories I am able to test the 2 engines that I mentioned or only one?

Can you tell me what to occupy and if it is okay what I buy in the US?
Thanks in advance
Why the 48P 91T spur? I would get the 32P mod 0.8 57T HR steel spur or the Arrma steel spur from the 4S trucks AR310405.

Also you know you need two input gears, right? One front, one rear.

Hello
consulted it in the forum and they indicated it to me when I asked to go to brushless motor.
You can tell me well what I have to buy. Hopefully with a link from where to buy it so as not to make mistakes. Always thinking of occupying the fastest engine that I was instructed to occupy.
I think the best way to learn for me is to experiment and see the results.

I thank you a lot for your time and the way you share knowledge.

Hello
consulted it in the forum and they indicated it to me when I asked to go to brushless motor.
You can tell me well what I have to buy. Hopefully with a link from where to buy it so as not to make mistakes. Always thinking of occupying the fastest engine that I was instructed to occupy.
I think the best way to learn for me is to experiment and see the results.

I thank you a lot for your time and the way you share knowledge.

Best thing to do would be to get the BLX parts from a kit breaker like Jennys RC (diff inputs, spur/slipper, BLX diffs for the ring gears) there are other kit breakers on Ebay but Jennys is one stop shopping. The 3s and 4s parts (senton, outcast 4s, granite etc. parts) for the items you need will work. I would also get the AR310898 adjustable motor mount no matter if you stick with the Mega spur or go BLX (more gearing options)

You can try just the 17t HD input in the rear only and keep the rest stock but if you really want to put some power into it better to get the 32p spur/slipper and the 17t HD for the front also. The smaller teeth of the 48p gears may or not hold up depends on hard you drive and how much power you want to put into it.

The best way is to experiment no matter which you direction you go I would get at least a 120a esc reason being it will run probably most motors you would want to put into it.

There are some that have just 3650 size motors in and have been happy. I don't know what your expecting or want from your brushless upgrade. If your just expecting a increase in speed and just want to run 2s you can get a 3650 4300kv motor. If you want to run 3s with a 3650 size motor 3100-3500kv can work. I ran a 3650 3100kv motor, stock Mega spur, 21t pinion, 60a esc, heatsink/fan, 17t HD input rear only on 3s just fine it was a significant improvement but ending up wanting more power not necessarily more speed. I would start with a lower kv motor for more gearing options and gear up (bigger pinion) and/or volt up (like 3s) if I wanted more speed. Longer runtime with a lower kv motor also.

BLX stuff (Mega diff rings and inputs are different so BLX stuff will have to be used with 13t diff inputs)

Inputs https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...put-bevel-gears-13t-bearings-granite-ar102668
Diffs (need two) https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...ntial-front-rear-outcast-granite-3s-ara102690
Fixed BLX mount https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...num-red-mount-motor-granite-big-rock-ar102668
A spur/slipper assy from one of the 3s or 4s models sold out right now have to check every so often for restock on Jennys or check Ebay
Adjustable motor mount instead of the fixed mount https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=AR310898&_sacat=0

You can just change the ring gear on the diffs to match the 13t inputs. The spur/slipper cheaper to get from a kit breaker than build it from scratch

Input (need two) AR310873 https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?I=LXHAXG&P=ML
Diff ring gear (need two) https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?I=LXHAWW&P=Z

Hello
Thank you very much for the answers and patience.
I will try the things that will come to me this week and I will see how it looks.
Next week I will order what they told me and try again and show them the results if it seems right.

Thanks again to both of you !!!!

another query friends
I would like to give the car a more aggressive look than tires could I put on them? bigger ? or wider? or both?
Any recommendations you suggest?

another query friends
I would like to give the car a more aggressive look than tires could I put on them? bigger ? or wider? or both?
Any recommendations you suggest?

Granite tires might have to adjust gearing (smaller pinion) depending on what motor you use. Duratrax 2.8ST tires wider than stock may not have to do that much trimming of the body (not as tall) as with bigger tires like the Granite.

Hello friends.

I need guidance. I bought some things that they indicated to me for the senton mega 4X4.

-TEEL 57T SLIPPER SET (0.8MOD) # ARA310948
-ARRMA SENTON 4X4 3S BLX - INPUT BEVEL GEARS (13T) & BEARINGS GRANITE AR102668
-ARRMA KRATON 4X4 4S BLX - DIFFERENTIAL FRONT / REAR OUTCAST GRANITE 3S ARA102690

I made the changes. I think everything fits well.
But with piece I connect with the "CENTER SLIDER DRIVESHAFT SET".
Attached photo so you can understand me better. Missing something to buy?

Thanks for the help.
MAV

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    473.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 2.png
    2.png
    473.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 3.png
    3.png
    497.6 KB · Views: 74
Hello friends

I made the changes with the pieces. I have it with a 2s battery. But I'm not sure if everything looks good. I still feel that it has less speed and slower departure with the engine "GoolRC 3660 3300KV - Brushless motor". This may be because I have a 2s battery and I have to go to 3s or 4s?

I attach videos in case you can confirm if what I did is fine.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x8nGw4r8lFYb_EUjNzX62FyDQI1oNLec/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vp3VLQGQP2L1kZkD4Kt9-JSX22Uos1Yx/view?usp=sharing

ESC Specifications:
Model: S-120A
Material: Plastic, Metal
Color: black
Size: 50 * 40 * 37mm
Continuous current: 120A
Burst current: 600A / 10sec
Power supply: 2-4S LiPo / 4-8S NiMh
SBEC: 6.1V / 3A
Power supply plug: T plug
Motor plug: 4mm banana connector
Suit for: 1/10 RC car
Cooling system: Cooling fan
Programmable: YES

Thanks for the help!

Hello friends

I made the changes with the pieces. I have it with a 2s battery. But I'm not sure if everything looks good. I still feel that it has less speed and slower departure with the engine "GoolRC 3660 3300KV - Brushless motor". This may be because I have a 2s battery and I have to go to 3s or 4s?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x8nGw4r8lFYb_EUjNzX62FyDQI1oNLec/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vp3VLQGQP2L1kZkD4Kt9-JSX22Uos1Yx/view?usp=sharing

ESC Specifications:

Thanks for the help!
Looks really slow. ??‍♂️

Hello friends

ESC Specifications:

Thanks for the help!

Slipper sounds too loose to me. Also you can go up on your pinion size. The 3660 3300 is close to stock 3s BLX (3660 3200kv) which uses a 20t pinion. So try tightening up the slipper and going a few teeth up more on the pinion.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back