Installing the new M2C Racing rear shock tower brace (Video)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Omg that is going to be so much fun lol. You might have to get some of those specialty drill bits and stick it in a press.
Yeah, I have a titanium tower on mine now too... eventually will get the m2c chassis and perhaps the brace. Will just need to order a new bit or two before I try drilling that thing.

Yeah, I have a titanium tower on mine now too... eventually will get the m2c chassis and perhaps the brace. Will just need to order a new bit or two before I try drilling that thing.

If you get 2 you'll need 3. If you get 3 you'll need 4, just the way it goes.

I tried out the drill bit that m2c sends you with the brace and it was garbage. It would barely bight into my 7075 towers. So I would not recommend that drill bit. I totally see how his drill bit broke. I used one of my higher end bits and it went through like butter.

I tried out the drill bit that m2c sends you with the brace and it was garbage. It would barely bight into my 7075 towers. So I would not recommend that drill bit. I totally see how his drill bit broke. I used one of my higher end bits and it went through like butter.

What size bit is it? I'm ordering mine later this week and want to have the bit on hand.

NVM found it on the page.

So drilling titanium is shockingly easy. I ran the drill press at 610 rpm incase anyone was wondering.

Attachments

• 20190830_113744.jpg
    20190830_113744.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 45
Thanks @bicketybam! Installed mine today and used your video to make sure I did it right. Easy peasy. Quick tip for anyone having to drill into these towers. A drop of oil on the tip of the bit, and reapply every few seconds until you're through. Less jamming and potential for snapping bits. Drilling into metal doesn't require speed. You need a good bit, a little oil or cutting fluid, medium speed and a steady hand.
20191022_234819.jpg

I disagree. The bit is fine if you take the time to do it properly. Same goes for the bit that came with the shock stand off kit. A little oil and slower speed, they cut trough the M2C shock tower quite easily.

Thanks @bicketybam! Installed mine today and used your video to make sure I did it right. Easy peasy. Quick tip for anyone having to drill into these towers. A drop of oil on the tip of the bit, and reapply every few seconds until you're through. Less jamming and potential for snapping bits. Drilling into metal doesn't require speed. You need a good bit, a little oil or cutting fluid, medium speed and a steady hand. View attachment 51540

I disagree. The bit is fine if you take the time to do it properly. Same goes for the bit that came with the shock stand off kit. A little oil and slower speed, they cut trough the M2C shock tower quite easily.
I prefer to use the brass tube method to drill my towers ?

Thanks @bicketybam! Installed mine today and used your video to make sure I did it right. Easy peasy. Quick tip for anyone having to drill into these towers. A drop of oil on the tip of the bit, and reapply every few seconds until you're through. Less jamming and potential for snapping bits. Drilling into metal doesn't require speed. You need a good bit, a little oil or cutting fluid, medium speed and a steady hand. View attachment 51540

Nice rump and I mean that totally in a RC way ?

I did two installs, both into Voltage Hobbies towers, and used the bit that came with each brace set. One went through with no issue and the other barely made a divot and then snapped. I'm going to say that the quality of the included bits varries. I used the same method in both cases.

I prefer to use the brass tube method to drill my towers ?
lol!

I was at the LHS yesterday and I bought some brass tube. Just to cut holes in tires. Had to see what the raving was all about. Now I need tires. lol!

About to install these on my Not. Watched your video. I gotta say you always make me laugh- I swear even if you don't realize it, your vocal tone, pacing, attitude and delivery is 100% the Bill Burr of RC.

If you don't watch him- you seriously should. Just be prepared for his anger management issues. Still funny.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back