Interesting Weather

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCWilly

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Went to stay in Reno, Nevada for the holidays since it was close to Lake Tahoe (of course brought along a couple RCs, but it was too snowy to really drive them, but still had fun). Didn't have much of an issue arriving (was snowing, but not storming, and had the benefit of an 4wd with new tires). However, leaving was an entirely different story. Two storms, one coming from the north, one coming from the south, were headed towards the area, and the fact that Reno is surrounded in all directions by mountains didn't really help. Here's a segment of a video taken yesterday morning, when we had to turn back:

Stayed another night (and played around with RCs indoors lol), and set out early morning the next day. Funny thing was, almost everyone in the hotel lobby/breakfast area was trying to find a way out. Ended up going in the same direction as the previous day, since the storm had moved (was still pretty snowy), and went a lot further than the previous day, and at one point, the weather started to clear up (could see the blue skies). Then, the GPS brought us down a small, twisty road, that had a tiny "road closed" sign off to the side. We saw a car go in, and thought the sign was moved to the side, because it was reopened, so we went in head first (followed by 3 more cars lol). Drove for 7 miles and it ended up being a dead-end covered by snow almost as tall as a car, since the snow plower could not go any further, so we had to go back the way we came, which took around an hour (I'll try to find the time elapse we took and post it here). All in all, it took almost 5 hours just to get out of the snowy area (which normally took at most 1-2 hours under non-extreme conditions). Anyone else have similar experiences?

Also, Happy Holidays!!!

A bit colder than normal for this area… we almost got to single digits yesterday and were back down to 18 for the night…
37838BC2-8B4A-4914-AF30-E7BEDF28CBF9.jpeg

We had some snow too. We were driving through some suburbs to a store, and we ended up on a hill we couldn't go down (windy road with pickups slipping everywhere). We turned around to go back the same way we came.
Down there, 2 cars had crashed into each other. We were waiting till they went away (we would certainly crash too if we went while they were there), and a pickup with a crazy 20-y/o raced past and did a handbrake 180 on a steep icy hill. That guy literally crashed 1 block earlier.
While we were still waiting, a RAV4 crashed into the other 2 cars. 15 minutes later, a pickup slid down the slope backwards, and that made it a 4 car pileup.
We parked our car and walked home. My dad picked it up later.

Went to stay in Reno, Nevada for the holidays since it was close to Lake Tahoe (of course brought along a couple RCs, but it was too snowy to really drive them, but still had fun).
You drove past my old exit! 😁

Here's another time elapse we took. I heard it's worse now in Reno. Apparently, hotels are full, people not able to get in hotels are sleeping in their cars at gas stations, and some gas stations ran out of gas.

That almost looks like a video game. Very scary and beautiful all wrapped in one

10 inches of snow expected to reach Michigan Saturday so probably 3 feet in northern Michigan lol

We had some snow too. We were driving through some suburbs to a store, and we ended up on a hill we couldn't go down (windy road with pickups slipping everywhere). We turned around to go back the same way we came.
Down there, 2 cars had crashed into each other. We were waiting till they went away (we would certainly crash too if we went while they were there), and a pickup with a crazy 20-y/o raced past and did a handbrake 180 on a steep icy hill. That guy literally crashed 1 block earlier.
While we were still waiting, a RAV4 crashed into the other 2 cars. 15 minutes later, a pickup slid down the slope backwards, and that made it a 4 car pileup.
We parked our car and walked home. My dad picked it up later.
I saw something like that when my kid was at college during Halloween except it was drunk co-ed’s trying to walk down “the hill”. They would have been way better off starting rolling from the top instead of thinking they wouldn’t slide like all the other drunk idiots ahead of them. One after another like lemmings they would tippy toe down that hill until hitting the ice and smacking their heads on the pavement. They would then roll into the pile of bodies below. It was like a mass grave at the bottom of this hill. The smart ones sat down in the grass and slid down.

Very warm and wet winter so far. Only one snowfall so far. And that wasn’t even an inch of accumulation. Gonna be near 50F for the next few days.

98C567B5-948F-4779-95A5-F3F1B97C3DA5.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back