Internal Resistance in a brushless motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logan's_Rcs

Reaction score
Hello all,

So I am most likely going to order a tp 4050 1570kv motor soon, but I realized the internal resistance is decently high compared to some of the other motors. For instance, I am also have a tp 4060 1730kv and the 4050 has pretty much double the resistance. I'm am trying to find a cool running motor for my 6s big rock project, and I was wondering if 0.01 ohms is a lot of resistance or is it something that really doesn't matter?

Thank you for all your help!

No its not alot.. resistance is needed in the electrical world and some times can be beneficial.. but no its just a value given with specs.. certain tolerances need to be maintained!! So in 6 months if you were to test the IR rate of said motor, and it would happen to change from .01 to let's say .05, then this would indicate a problem!? Hope this help

No its not alot.. resistance is needed in the electrical world and some times can be beneficial.. but no its just a value given with specs.. certain tolerances need to be maintained!! So in 6 months if you were to test the IR rate of said motor, and it would happen to change from .01 to let's say .05, then this would indicate a problem!? Hope this help
But take two motors of the same size, one with slightly higher internal resistance, and one with slightly lower, wouldn't the slightly lower internal resistance run cooler?

maybe, but i would have thought the temperature you are identifying between the two identicals will measure within the range of tolerance of the actual thermometer you are reading it with, just my honest opinion.
If you mean you are comparing between two different brands of the same size, then who knows unless you test them, different manufacturer= different materials, simmilar in build, yet still different, when you get to those levels of comparison its starting to get beyond the realms of realistic expectations.

eg: Two cars of identical manufacture, model and name could drive completely different, due to alignment ofcomponents like drivetrain, tension in drivetrain diffs/shims, shocks etc. no one single model will replicate another but exactly will be within design tolerances due to manufacture process, it all really depends whether you want to fly a space shuttle or you just want to drive and enjoy within reasonable limits
The same applies when bolting on A/M parts. Depending on the manufacturer machinery and tolerances and quality of materials used, just because they are pretty aluminium does not necessarily mean they are any better than the stock parts

Last edited:
Yes it will.. given they are powered the same!! 😎
In my case I was looking at running the tp 4050 1570kv on 6s, and I was also considering the tp 4050 2100kv on 6s, but decided to go with the 1570 because it has a more reasonable rpm range, about 34k compared to 52k. But now I realize that the 2100kv has lower internal resistance, so will it run cooler even with the extra rpm?

Generally speaking, motors with lower resistance will draw more current. Lower ohms would use more power, but they can and will make more "horsepower" given as long as the supply can feed them.
@gotnitro is correct.

research both motors and what people are using regarding pinion tooth gears and the application of their use, you should be able to find a happy medium with gearing, or just buy two cans :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: lower kv should be cooler, but again gearing.

In my case i have gone with the H/W 4274 can 2250, longer can slightly more torque and i can afford to offset with small gearing changes the motor is generally recommended for truggs but slightly heavier by 70 grams or so.
More common in buggs is the 4268 mostly the 1900kv for offroad bashers on 6s but i have seen these with high gearing too, but again depends on your application and you have some wiggle room for temp tuning.

Last edited:
My answer was purely on motor specs.. given the extra 18k on 6s it will actually run warmer if geared the same as the 1570, it has less resistance to allow for more current draw to get you to that higher rpm.. I think 😆

@gotnitro is correct.

research both motors and what people are using regarding pinion tooth gears and the application of their use, you should be able to find a happy medium with gearing, or just buy two cans :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I wish I could! That would actually be a really great experiment. Unfortunately I've got college coming up in about a month, and that's a big drain on my hobby fund!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back