Outcast Is $400 justified with the new 4s line?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoNoHarm

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
I’d like some unbiased input here among experienced users with the 3s line. The 4s cars really grabbed my attention and I’ll probably end up buying one because, as a preference, I like my plastic chassis trucks for jumps. Although if it’s 7075 aluminum it’s totally cool as well. I owned a granite for a few months and it was a blast but I sold it to a friend because he was hopping into the hobby. My experience was good. But that’s besides the point, so I was considering an outcast 4s...
  • Is the arrma 3s chassis durable? Tell me the weak spots in your experience
  • Is it designed well? One thing among plastic chassis vehicles is the design makes or breaks it. If designed correctly, it can be a super cheap but ultra durable piece. If not, it’ll crack after a few hard jumps.
  • How’s the temps for you 4s guys? Is the Max10sct rebrand doing well? Or do you think I should swap in a retired MMP?
  • And finally, do you think the entertainment of the truck is justified by the price.
  • I really like the look of the price and what you get but this is just some reassurance for me. Bigger 8th scale trucks are fun and all but the weight can really cut fun short. However I heard these things are quite heavy... like I said, hard decision to cash in or not.

Thanks.

I’d like some unbiased input here among experienced users with the 3s line. The 4s cars really grabbed my attention and I’ll probably end up buying one because, as a preference, I like my plastic chassis trucks for jumps. Although if it’s 7075 aluminum it’s totally cool as well. I owned a granite for a few months and it was a blast but I sold it to a friend because he was hopping into the hobby. My experience was good. But that’s besides the point, so I was considering an outcast 4s...
  • Is the arrma 3s chassis durable? Tell me the weak spots in your experience
  • Is it designed well? One thing among plastic chassis vehicles is the design makes or breaks it. If designed correctly, it can be a super cheap but ultra durable piece. If not, it’ll crack after a few hard jumps.
  • How’s the temps for you 4s guys? Is the Max10sct rebrand doing well? Or do you think I should swap in a retired MMP?
  • And finally, do you think the entertainment of the truck is justified by the price.
  • I really like the look of the price and what you get but this is just some reassurance for me. Bigger 8th scale trucks are fun and all but the weight can really cut fun short. However I heard these things are quite heavy... like I said, hard decision to cash in or not.

Thanks.
55A8313B-E3A7-4860-80F9-72600ACB1578.jpeg

I love my Granite...it isn’t stock but the power should be comparable to the 4S line. I’m running a HW Max 10SCT.

Believe it or not but I’ve been driving my Granite more than my Kraton actually. For general bashing around I think the fun factor is higher than the Kraton. Now with that said, if I’m planning on hard bashing with large jumps then I take my Kraton...it’s built better for that kind of running.

Durability? I’ve broken the same stuff on both so I think they’re about the same as far as handling their own weight it a crash and driving away.

Honestly, and keep in mind I haven’t driven a 4S’er, but I definitely think $400 is justifiable on them for sure.

2 of them my kids drive on 3s, hitting everything hey see... literally, one broken knuckle after a few months...
I love my Granite...it isn’t stock but the power should be comparable to the 4S line. I’m running a HW Max 10SCT.

Believe it or not but I’ve been driving my Granite more than my Kraton actually. For general bashing around I think the fun factor is higher than the Kraton. Now with that said, if I’m planning on hard bashing with large jumps then I take my Kraton...it’s built better for that kind of running.

Durability? I’ve broken the same stuff on both so I think they’re about the same as far as handling their own weight it a crash and driving away.

Honestly, and keep in mind I haven’t driven a 4S’er, but I definitely think $400 is justifiable on them for sure.
Bought.

I think you’re gonna love it and yes the shocks are an issue on the 3S line but they slapped some big kahoona’s on the 4S’s and they look stout!

I’m looking forward to hearing how you like it. I would buy one right now but I just don’t have the money....gotta say I’m a little jealous lol!

Well worth $400 with everything you get over the 3s line. I take my BRCC to the local pump track and launch it off 7-8 foot booters and have yet to break a single part. Can't ask for much more lol

I have 3 3s rigs and a new 4s Outcast. I have yet to break a chassis on a 3s truck. The two people I know who have the new outcast 4s(me and Eric(RC Dude 81)) both broke front A arms at the hinge pin on the first run. I cant really say how the new motor and esc run as I have yet to run it how I would like, but my first impression of it is its a pretty good system. Worst part of these trucks is leaking shocks and the slipper assembly. But other than leaking I think the shocks are perfectly sprung and the right oil for the 3s line. Basically when they are not leaking they are awesome. I just don't like the aluminum hubs and little spring and small screw on the slipper. It works fine for the most part, u just have to be very gentle when working on it,

Hopefully my new arms for the Outcast come in today and I can give u some full run impressions and comparison's.

I have 3 3s rigs and a new 4s Outcast. I have yet to break a chassis on a 3s truck. The two people I know who have the new outcast 4s(me and Eric(RC Dude 81)) both broke front A arms at the hinge pin on the first run. I cant really say how the new motor and esc run as I have yet to run it how I would like, but my first impression of it is its a pretty good system. Worst part of these trucks is leaking shocks and the slipper assembly. But other than leaking I think the shocks are perfectly sprung and the right oil for the 3s line. Basically when they are not leaking they are awesome. I just don't like the aluminum hubs and little spring and small screw on the slipper. It works fine for the most part, u just have to be very gentle when working on it,

Hopefully my new arms for the Outcast come in today and I can give u some full run impressions and comparison's.
How did they break? Landing a jump?

No it broke on a decently bad crash. Completely my fault. But I have crashed my granite alot worse and they did not break at the hinge pin like the longer Kraton/Outcast and even typhon 3s arms break.
Yeah that was my initial thought. Longer arms with the same hinge pin as the 3s trucks = more leverage. Not good.

Personally I think the new 4S trucks are about $20 too high. It doesn't make sense that the 3S are $300 and a Typhon/Senton 6S is $480. There's a much bigger difference between the 4S and the 6S, yet a smaller price difference ($80).

Since the 4S trucks are basically upgraded 3S trucks, they should probably be priced closer to the 3S line. $379 makes a lot of sense to me and represents the capabilities a lot better than something priced closer to a Typhon 6S.

People say "yeah, but if you add the cost of all the upgrades (shocks, motor, arms, slipper, spur, yada yada yada), it costs more than $100", but that's not how pricing works. If all that stuff costs Arrma $100 more to manufacture than the 3S parts, OK, but I doubt it does. The 6S line improved parts cost WAY more than the 4S parts cost over the 3S parts. You're going from plastic to alum chassis, plastic to alum shocks, plastic to alum towers, 4S to 6S, slipper to center diff, etc. etc.

$400 is still a really good value for the trucks. It's just that Arrma has set the price bar so high with the $300 3S line and $480 6S Typhon/Senton, that anything that isn't a super-crazy low price seems like it's priced a little bit high.

I agree but got lots of runtime before I started to see leaks.

Saw these today and wonder if they're good or not. Kinda wish I would've tried this route instead of the Ebay specials I got (which are fine but a little stiff and unadjustable.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Racing...595702&hash=item3d892b9b34:g:J4UAAOSwIsFcvhcG

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Racing...581766&hash=item1ccfb4bcfc:g:WLoAAOSwNopcvhcA
I was wondering when these were coming out. I can't remember if Hot Racing makes good shocks or not, might have to look up reviews of some of their other shock kits.

Personally I think the new 4S trucks are about $20 too high. It doesn't make sense that the 3S are $300 and a Typhon/Senton 6S is $480. There's a much bigger difference between the 4S and the 6S, yet a smaller price difference ($80).

Since the 4S trucks are basically upgraded 3S trucks, they should probably be priced closer to the 3S line. $379 makes a lot of sense to me and represents the capabilities a lot better than something priced closer to a Typhon 6S.

People say "yeah, but if you add the cost of all the upgrades (shocks, motor, arms, slipper, spur, yada yada yada), it costs more than $100", but that's not how pricing works. If all that stuff costs Arrma $100 more to manufacture than the 3S parts, OK, but I doubt it does. The 6S line improved parts cost WAY more than the 4S parts cost over the 3S parts. You're going from plastic to alum chassis, plastic to alum shocks, plastic to alum towers, 4S to 6S, slipper to center diff, etc. etc.

$400 is still a really good value for the trucks. It's just that Arrma has set the price bar so high with the $300 3S line and $480 6S Typhon/Senton, that anything that isn't a super-crazy low price seems like it's priced a little bit high.
It's about time someone said that. The price of upgrades is relative to the upgrade in question, PLUS you are not getting the old parts - they are not being made for the new truck so you can't factor the entire previous model's price into the new model. Engineering & producing new parts does have it's cost & that is factored into the new price. Overall value is something only the buyer can put into perspective since only the company knows exactly how much it costs to manufacture & sell these cars. So it's up for debate.

Good points. But the only 4s models are the Kraton and Outcast. And the 6s Kraton and Outcast arent $480 they’re $550. Maybe when the Typhon and Senton get upgraded to 4s the price might be different. Since hubs and arms won’t change.

At first I thought, oh it’s the same truck with different electronics and shocks. But then when I saw this pic. I said oh yeah they might be worth it
B536C3D8-FEE4-4044-B503-BDBC47CBD580.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back