Outcast Is $400 justified with the new 4s line?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? The yokes are a must have? I've been running the same diffs for a year in my 3s trucks without yoke issues. I'm not sure why they would be considered a must ?

The diffs are the same as the 3s rigs. You get a metal spur w/upgraded slipper, bigger wheels, 4s electronics, the 6s servo, longer A-arms, 17mm hex wheels, a top brace, a real wheelie bar/wing a different body and the illusion of a 1/10 scale version of their 6s counterpart.

As far as it not taking much to snap the chassis in half, my personal experience does not bear this out. I've abused the hell out of my 3s rigs and only damaged one chassis. I've never snapped one in half.

Yokes are a must on the 4s models in my opinion, the plastic yokes don’t support the input and bearings properly hence all the problems people are having. This 4s line was originally designed for way less power.

How you ran 3s with plastic yokes and not burn up a yoke is beyond reality. Must not be reaching full speed. ;)
The comments saying the RPM arms are not much different than stock are the same. I've got experience with both. Stock a-arm broke in the first couple minutes. I've got video now of a hard landing on the front with RPM arms and youd swear it looks like it -had- to have broken the arm: nothing. What you see in the vid is the RPM arm flexing to the extreme but it simply popped back on it's own, no damage. The stock plastic is quite brittle, theres no comparison. There's no way stock arms would last.
I've also watched a vid where a guy tests stock, WD40'd stock, RPM and aluminum arms etc by twisting them. WD40 does nothing and chemically it doesn't make sense anyway. Stock arms snapped in less than 1 turn. Aluminum didnt make it past 1/4 turn before breaking. The RPM arms he twisted around 3-4 times before they gave way.

Testing isn't perfect but it clearly demonstrates the difference in materials used.
Confirmed: RPM arms, sealed bearings and aluminum yoke for at least rear are near necessities...for bashing anyway. Seriously, after I bashed mine and examined it I grabbed the suspension by the outer C and that thing flexes so easy it freaked me out! No way stock arms could survive my bashing and I run 2s in soft dirt and gravel. Dozens of landings and I'm no Duperbash, either, sending it for massive air. :)

How you ran 3s with plastic yokes and not burn up a yoke is beyond reality. Must not be reaching full speed. ;)
The comments saying the RPM arms are not much different than stock are the same. I've got experience with both. Stock a-arm broke in the first couple minutes. I've got video now of a hard landing on the front with RPM arms and youd swear it looks like it -had- to have broken the arm: nothing. What you see in the vid is the RPM arm flexing to the extreme but it simply popped back on it's own, no damage. The stock plastic is quite brittle, theres no comparison. There's no way stock arms would last.
I've also watched a vid where a guy tests stock, WD40'd stock, RPM and aluminum arms etc by twisting them. WD40 does nothing and chemically it doesn't make sense anyway. Stock arms snapped in less than 1 turn. Aluminum didnt make it past 1/4 turn before breaking. The RPM arms he twisted around 3-4 times before they gave way.

Testing isn't perfect but it clearly demonstrates the difference in materials used.
Confirmed: RPM arms, sealed bearings and aluminum yoke for at least rear are near necessities...for bashing anyway. Seriously, after I bashed mine and examined it I grabbed the suspension by the outer C and that thing flexes so easy it freaked me out! No way stock arms could survive my bashing and I run 2s in soft dirt and gravel. Dozens of landings and I'm no Duperbash, either, sending it for massive air. :)
I've run the 3s trucks with the stock plastic yoke with no issues. Is it the added weight and additional torque of the bigger motor in the 4s trucks that is causing issues with the yoke?

https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR310783

So I was called out recently about my opinion on the new 4s models, before they came out. I've never owned a 3s Arrma, and when the 4s hype started, I jumped on the bandwagon from a rocket powered spring board. I really had considered the 4s as my second Arrma, but was investing a lot in my Notorious, and held off. Turns out that the 4s line is quickly becoming a pain in everyone's a$$, because of weak arms, some other issues, and lack of parts availability. The aftermarket is slow coming up with upgrades, and a lot of people are pissed. So the answer to the original question is no, I don't think the $400 price tag is worth it. Would it be better if there were more upgrades available? Maybe, but that's more investment and might still turn me off. Investing in my 6s has been steep, but the truck I have now is incredible and worth every penny. Not sure how much I'd want to invest in the 4s, but it sounds just like my Slash, and that never got to a point where I was truly happy, even after investing huge $'s. So apologies to anyone who took what I said to heart, but in the end, it was always just an opinion coming from a guy who got excited about getting his next rc.

So I was called out recently about my opinion on the new 4s models, before they came out. I've never owned a 3s Arrma, and when the 4s hype started, I jumped on the bandwagon from a rocket powered spring board. I really had considered the 4s as my second Arrma, but was investing a lot in my Notorious, and held off. Turns out that the 4s line is quickly becoming a pain in everyone's a$$, because of weak arms, some other issues, and lack of parts availability. The aftermarket is slow coming up with upgrades, and a lot of people are pissed. So the answer to the original question is no, I don't think the $400 price tag is worth it. Would it be better if there were more upgrades available? Maybe, but that's more investment and might still turn me off. Investing in my 6s has been steep, but the truck I have now is incredible and worth every penny. Not sure how much I'd want to invest in the 4s, but it sounds just like my Slash, and that never got to a point where I was truly happy, even after investing huge $'s. So apologies to anyone who took what I said to heart, but in the end, it was always just an opinion coming from a guy who got excited about getting his next rc.
So Canadian of you eh lol

Personally I think the new 4S trucks are about $20 too high. It doesn't make sense that the 3S are $300 and a Typhon/Senton 6S is $480. There's a much bigger difference between the 4S and the 6S, yet a smaller price difference ($80).

Since the 4S trucks are basically upgraded 3S trucks, they should probably be priced closer to the 3S line. $379 makes a lot of sense to me and represents the capabilities a lot better than something priced closer to a Typhon 6S.

People say "yeah, but if you add the cost of all the upgrades (shocks, motor, arms, slipper, spur, yada yada yada), it costs more than $100", but that's not how pricing works. If all that stuff costs Arrma $100 more to manufacture than the 3S parts, OK, but I doubt it does. The 6S line improved parts cost WAY more than the 4S parts cost over the 3S parts. You're going from plastic to alum chassis, plastic to alum shocks, plastic to alum towers, 4S to 6S, slipper to center diff, etc. etc.

$400 is still a really good value for the trucks. It's just that Arrma has set the price bar so high with the $300 3S line and $480 6S Typhon/Senton, that anything that isn't a super-crazy low price seems like it's priced a little bit high.

Nice I was quoted $379 out the door for a 4S... picking it up tomorrow

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back