Kraton Is 4s "boring" after using 6s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC_7222

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Just ordered a Kraton that will be in next week, and need to order my first battery/batteries. My heart tells me to jump in head first with 6s and don't look back, but the little "responsible" voice in my head says take it slow and start with 4s. My concern? I'll be bored with 4s as soon as I get the first taste of 6s speed...

So, jump right in on 6s, or go the responsible route with 4s? Any thoughts or relatable experience would be appreciated! For reference, my experience level can be summed up as... Watching YouTube videos. : )

I have never run 4s only 6s. It seems logical to start with 4s but you will eventually want the extra that 6s offers. You can start with 6 but I'd recommend turning the punch setting down to make it a little more controllable. With zero experience you are highly likely to tear it up either way due to driver error. Your left index finger is ultimately the speed controller. Use it wisely until you get used to it. These things go fast enough, quick enough to end up not where you want them in a real big hurry.

I agree. You will eventually end up at 6S, just don’t go full throttle until you get used to it. Start it an open area like a park or field and you will pick it up fast. You won’t tear it up if there is t anything to run into lol

The 4s will come in handy if you want to let a friend drive it or you want to use it in a smaller area. It won't go to waste.

Ive got about 20 runs on 4S. Around pack number 10 i was itching for 6S. 4S is fun and you can still catch some good air, but it will leave you wanting more! I ran with the stock punch setting up until fairly recently...currently set at 9 :).

Out of the box i replaced the servo and did a Hot Racing servo mount. Front and rear diff switched to 30k and the center is at 100k. Tires also swapped to BakFlips. The only part that has broke was one of the rear diff bearings grenaded. Replaced everything with FastEddy bearings. This truck can take a serious beating and its really easy to work on.

"I'll take that black z06 with the throttle stop", said no one ever.

Go 6s and limit the travel of your index finger when necessary, you'll be happy you did. :)

As a guy that owned a Z06, I rarely ran it with all of the assists turned off. It was a ton of car to handle on the streets. poop load of raw power with a tendency to snap oversteer, lol. For someone with no RC experience, a 6s rig is a lot to handle. Spending $100 on a "training" battery isnt the worst idea in the world. It won't go to waste.

Just ordered a Kraton that will be in next week, and need to order my first battery/batteries. My heart tells me to jump in head first with 6s and don't look back, but the little "responsible" voice in my head says take it slow and start with 4s. My concern? I'll be bored with 4s as soon as I get the first taste of 6s speed...

So, jump right in on 6s, or go the responsible route with 4s? Any thoughts or relatable experience would be appreciated! For reference, my experience level can be summed up as... Watching YouTube videos. : )

A Talion on 6s was my first experience of a proper RC, not much more than 3 months back. A 4s battery to start with would probably have helped me get used to the car but I'm happy enough that I started with 6s. If I'm looking back and thinking what I should have got at the start then it's bumpers for the front and rear.

As a guy that owned a Z06, I rarely ran it with all of the assists turned off. It was a ton of car to handle on the streets. poop load of raw power with a tendency to snap oversteer, lol. For someone with no RC experience, a 6s rig is a lot to handle. Spending $100 on a "training" battery isnt the worst idea in the world. It won't go to waste.
True
I'm admittedly one with a tilted view of overpowered things in general, street cars included. Years ago, If it didn't go at least 5.90's to the 1/8th, I wasn't interested....
which would probably explain why I feel 6s isn't quite enough for this platform and know it's just a matter of time before I go 8s. I'll probably stop one day when the trigger becomes a self destruct button and it just eats itself at WOT

It really comes down to where you plan to run it. If the area is big enough than you’ll want the 6s. But say you want to run it in a tighter area or track like previously mentioned. Then you won’t need all that speed. Like for instance sometimes I want to just run it at home, and my yard isn’t that big. I’ll throw in a single 3s pack, and have fun. That’s why to start with, I bought four 3s packs. Not to mention it was cheaper.

Solid contributions, thanks all! Will most likely be pulling the trigger on an SMC 4s 7400mAh for backyard use, and an SMC 6s 5400mAh (when back in stock) for the bigger playgrounds.

Now to solve the "which charger" riddle...

There's some solid recommendations for charger setup in here https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/lipo-6s-charger-recommendations.8563/#post-87348

I'm biased towards the DC power supply & Isdt 6+ setup for dollar-per-watt efficiency as it pertains to 6s charging

IMG_7789.JPG

I'm going backward by default. New car comes with 4s, I have to say 6s is pretty nutz
Better be sure your tires are legit, and bound.
Watch your leg

Now to solve the "which charger" riddle...

I just picked up one of these and it's great if you want a simple "all-in-one" that will charge 2 batteries at once up to 6s. Also has whatever leads you need as cheap extras. I grabbed 2x xt90 charge leads with it. No soldering necessary. Dirtcheap RC has GREAT customer support as well.

http://dirtcheaprc.com/shop/ev-peak...-adjustable-end-voltage-110v-220v-compatible/

XT90 Leads: http://dirtcheaprc.com/shop/gt-powe...phon-talion-kraton-fazon-nero-outcast-senton/

I had a couple of 4s when I bought my Notorious. So I ran that a couple times. Then I noticed that one of the packs had a dead cell.....

So, I used that as an excuse to the wife so I could buy a SMC 6s. Never have I ever been so happy to see a battery go bad! haha

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back