Typhon Is a ARRMA 1/10 Typhon 4X4 V3 MEGA 550 an ok basher for a 7 year old?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannydynomtye

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
Is a ARRMA 1/10 Typhon 4X4 V3 MEGA 550 an ok basher for a 7 year old?

I just got my first rc in 10 years a kraton exb roller. Went with castle 1650kv and it has a ton of power and has been good to bash for the few runs I have done so far.

The v3 mega 500 is attractive for the lower price point and let her bash.

I also am partial to just getting the typhon 6s and using my 6s lipos in it and turning down the power. I guess if she loses interest down the road I would enjoy the buggy.

I let her take my 1 week old kraton at 25% power off a few 4ft ramps today at the skate park and she did great

Kraton Build 1

Kraton Build 2

I would go with a Typhon 3S at a minimum since you already have LiPos but the 6S isn't a bad idea. Put a 4S battery in it and turn down the throttle - also put on an EXB bumper for the inevitable crashes.

Second this. Don't get mega. It's cheap to slow a BLX down but expensive to speed a mega up!
It's expensive in more than one way. Its expensive for the motor, esc, batteries, and other stronger parts. It's also expensive when you break the parts more because its faster with weaker parts. Much cheaper in the longrun to get a BLX then run 2s or 3s at 50%. Stronger parts+less power=less breakage.

I would recommend a Senton 3S and run it on 2S. I say the Senton because the body protects the tires more. I say a BLX because you can always dial back the speed, but it won’t need an upgrade when they get adjusted and need more power. You can simply adjust the throttle limits and go to a 3S pack.

Everyone here hates the mega line because they assume you'll want more power in the near future. But will you for a 7-year old? I'd predict not.

For $230 you get a great platform almost identical to the BLX, except it "only" goes 30mph. Plus 2S batteries are dirt cheap.

Just note that you'll need a motor fan.

Everyone here hates the mega line because they assume you'll want more power in the near future. But will you for a 7-year old? I'd predict not.

For $230 you get a great platform almost identical to the BLX, except it "only" goes 30mph. Plus 2S batteries are dirt cheap.

Just note that you'll need a motor fan.
No, the steering linkages are hollow on the inside, the top suspension arm things are hollow, complicated slipper clutch, a different driveshaft that is harder to take out, and I'm pretty sure the input gears are different too. The servo on the mega has plastic gears and the servo on the BLX has metal. I'm not saying its bad, just I think you will get more bang for your buck with the BLX. The MEGA is a decent platform for a 7 year old, it's just she is most likely going to want more power in the future once she can handle it, which she probably can already if she can handle a 25% 8s kraton. 🤷‍♂️ Just putting down my thoughts.

No, the steering linkages are hollow on the inside, the top suspension arm things are hollow, complicated slipper clutch, a different driveshaft that is harder to take out, and I'm pretty sure the input gears are different too. The servo on the mega has plastic gears and the servo on the BLX has metal. I'm not saying its bad, just I think you will get more bang for your buck with the BLX. The MEGA is a decent platform for a 7 year old, it's just she is most likely going to want more power in the future once she can handle it, which she probably can already if she can handle a 25% 8s kraton. 🤷‍♂️ Just putting down my thoughts.
Good points

Back