Is a Cheap Radio "Good Enough"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Upon receiving my new ARRMA Typhon 3s last week, the first thing I notice was how cheap the included Spektrum SLT3 radio felt. It feels like a cheap plastic toy I might've gotten out of a vending machine at Chuck E. Cheese. Heck, when I went to put the batteries in it, I couldn't get the stupid battery cover back on w/o sanding down the edges so that the cover fit back in!!!

However, I've got to wonder... is it good enough for my needs? Other than how it feels in my hand, would I benefit at all from a more expensive model?

I'm a hobbyist at best... it's likely my Typhon will only get run a few times a year, especially since it's nearly Winter and I have no where to drive the car for the next 6 months. :( As such, is there any reason to "upgrade" to a more expensive model like the DX5C or what that be a total waste of money?

SPMSLT300-450.jpg

Be careful what you wish for. That radio is supposed to be based on the Tactic system which is my favorite radio so far. There are much worse radios to buy. Now I haven’t owned the SLT3 so I don’t know how it feels but I did have the STX2 and it was garbage. If you want a great build feel you want the Flysky Noble NB4.

Depends.

If you don't plan on running your RC but a few times a year and only have one Typhon than a high end radio probably doesn't make sense for you. If you care about range, responsiveness, and being able to have one transmitter for multiple RC's then a higher end radio would certainly make sense.

If you don't plan on running your RC but a few times a year and only have one Typhon than a high end radio probably doesn't make sense for you. If you care about range, responsiveness, and being able to have one transmitter for multiple RC's then a higher end radio would certainly make sense.
About the only thing I've noticed so far that I feel could use improvement is in the responsiveness. However, having never had a "good radio" and not being a very experienced RC owner, I'm not sure if it's the radio, the car, or if I'm just not used to my new vehicle.

About the only thing I've noticed so far that I feel could use improvement is in the responsiveness. However, having never had a "good radio" and not being a very experienced RC owner, I'm not sure if it's the radio, the car, or if I'm just not used to my new vehicle.
Well there certainly doesn't seem to be a rush to upgrade, since it sounds like you're starting to wind down with winter coming. I'd keep what you have for the time being and use it into the spring to see how things go.

You can always upgrade the radio at any time and it's an easy thing to do.

My son has an SLT3 on his Granite and I have a DX5C on my Kraton.

The SLT3 is quite good, but the DX5C is significantly better.

I would have glady kept the SLT3 if my Kraton came with it, but it came with the STX2. Unless you purchase more RC cars and you want to run all of them from the same radio, I’d suggest you keep the SLT3 and use the money for something else.

For me, a cheap radio is not worth it. I appreciate the extra features that an upgraded radio offers: better display, more adjustments, easier adjustments, ability to bind multiple vehicles to one transmitter.

I currently have about two dozen DSMR receivers bound to a few Spektrum transmitters - I couldn’t imagine having twenty RTR transmitters and feeding all of them with batteries, not to mention how much space they would take up.

In your case, I would wait and see - you will need a new receiver in addition to a new transmitter and if you only plan on having one or two cars, it may not be worth it.

Last edited:
I opted to buy a DumboRC X6 and two X6FG receivers which I fitted in my Granite V3 and my new Kraton 6S V4. I really like it! I'm still in the process of catching up after many years away.

It's nice having the option to turn the gyro on/off, just in case you fancy doing a few speed runs etc.

The only mod I did to the controller was to add a steering wheel foam.

I have used many RTR radios. As long as it works for you and there are no abnormal issues, given the usage you describe (few times a year) I say run with it. Some $80 radios feel just as cheap.

Upon receiving my new ARRMA Typhon 3s last week, the first thing I notice was how cheap the included Spektrum SLT3 radio felt. It feels like a cheap plastic toy I might've gotten out of a vending machine at Chuck E. Cheese. Heck, when I went to put the batteries in it, I couldn't get the stupid battery cover back on w/o sanding down the edges so that the cover fit back in!!!

However, I've got to wonder... is it good enough for my needs? Other than how it feels in my hand, would I benefit at all from a more expensive model?

I'm a hobbyist at best... it's likely my Typhon will only get run a few times a year, especially since it's nearly Winter and I have no where to drive the car for the next 6 months. :( As such, is there any reason to "upgrade" to a more expensive model like the DX5C or what that be a total waste of money?

SPMSLT300-450.jpg

SPMSLT300-450.jpg
the tactic radio is good but when I

SPMSLT300-450.jpg
I thought the tactic radio was ok till I bought a futaba 4pls few years ago alot better response times

SPMSLT300-450.jpg
Or you could get a flysky FS-GT5 6CH for like $70 with the 6 channel receiver included. Very nice digital radio for the price. I'm using it on one of my rigs.
https://www.amazon.com/Flysky-FS-GT5-Transmitter-FS-BS6-Receiver/dp/B07B2SVQ3M

The main reason I run a better than average radio (Spektrum DX5c) is I have multiple vehicles and 99% of the time I am not running my other trucks at the same time with friends so I like the convenience of having 1 multi model radio for multiple trucks. I sold all my DX3 and Tactic stock radios (previous Arrma stock radios before the SLT3) and put the profits towards a couple extra Spektrum receivers.

That being said I still have a few other radios I keep around on hand (SLT3, FlySky GT3c, DumboRC X6) for spares and/or certain vehicles just because I like to try new combos for fun. The SLT3 is actually not bad imo, I just wish the wheel were slightly smaller, but it's night/day better than the DX3 of the previous generation. My FlySky GT3c was my first aftermarket radio and besides the convenience of a lipo battery, usb charge port, and individual endpoint adjustment it's just 'Ok'. My favorite "cheap" radio is the DumboRC X6 - it feels very cheap in the hand but it's dollar value is almost unbeatable with it's long range, low latency, 6 channels, and gyro system that works pretty well. I got a FlySky GT5 I got on sale ($55) showing up tomorrow I want to try in my crawler later this week and later to compare to my DX5c to see which I like better.

Being someone who's had multiple radios from low end to medium end I would say that the SLT3 is not a bad radio for what it is and I'd only replace it if it's giving you issues, or if you really want to try a different radio with additional perks like avc/gyro, need additional channels, etc. or you want the covenience of 1 radio to run more than 1 vehicle and not have to juggle multiple radios and keep track of which goes to what.

I have three radios that can do multiple rigs, 3PV, NB4, and RCGS6, plus I have three TTX300 and an X6. I gotta say I really prefer the TTX300 for bashers. It just feels best in the hand and it doesn’t have an expensive screen I have to worry about. Range is plenty for a basher.

Now for speed runs, the boosted 3PV is unmatched so far for range. I haven’t given the NB4 a real test yet as winter crept in quickly and I haven’t had the weather to get out for a pass, but my intention is to give that a try in the spring.

Being someone who's had multiple radios from low end to medium end I would say that the SLT3 is not a bad radio for what it is and I'd only replace it if it's giving you issues, or if you really want to try a different radio with additional perks like avc/gyro, need additional channels, etc. or you want the covenience of 1 radio to run more than 1 vehicle and not have to juggle multiple radios and keep track of which goes to what.
So far, sounds like I should just live with the el-cheapo SLT3 for what I need it for. It sounds like most on these forums have multiple vehicles, which I do not. I also don't need a screen on my radio as my primary use of the Typhon is to run it in my back yard for fun.

I still find that steering response feels odd... maybe it's just me and my inexperience. I'm always over-correcting the steering which results in crashing the car (over and over and over). Perhaps there's an adjustment on the SLT3 that I'm just not using properly to make the steering feel less like an "on/off switch" and give me a bit more granular steering control? (I hope this makes sense to someone other than me.)

So far, sounds like I should just live with the el-cheapo SLT3 for what I need it for. It sounds like most on these forums have multiple vehicles, which I do not. I also don't need a screen on my radio as my primary use of the Typhon is to run it in my back yard for fun.

I still find that steering response feels odd... maybe it's just me and my inexperience. I'm always over-correcting the steering which results in crashing the car (over and over and over). Perhaps there's an adjustment on the SLT3 that I'm just not using properly to make the steering feel less like an "on/off switch" and give me a bit more granular steering control? (I hope this makes sense to someone other than me.)
Yes you can turn down your end points or your dual rate.

The main reason I run a better than average radio (Spektrum DX5c) is I have multiple vehicles and 99% of the time I am not running my other trucks at the same time with friends so I like the convenience of having 1 multi model radio for multiple trucks. I sold all my DX3 and Tactic stock radios (previous Arrma stock radios before the SLT3) and put the profits towards a couple extra Spektrum receivers.

That being said I still have a few other radios I keep around on hand (SLT3, FlySky GT3c, DumboRC X6) for spares and/or certain vehicles just because I like to try new combos for fun. The SLT3 is actually not bad imo, I just wish the wheel were slightly smaller, but it's night/day better than the DX3 of the previous generation. My FlySky GT3c was my first aftermarket radio and besides the convenience of a lipo battery, usb charge port, and individual endpoint adjustment it's just 'Ok'. My favorite "cheap" radio is the DumboRC X6 - it feels very cheap in the hand but it's dollar value is almost unbeatable with it's long range, low latency, 6 channels, and gyro system that works pretty well. I got a FlySky GT5 I got on sale ($55) showing up tomorrow I want to try in my crawler later this week and later to compare to my DX5c to see which I like better.

so, do you like the Flysky GT5? Thinking about getting one.

so, do you like the Flysky GT5? Thinking about getting one.
It's not as sophisticated as my Spektrum DX5c so it won't be replacing that in my Infraction/Felony, but for a general basher application I think it's great. Currently I am planning on replacing the DumboRC X6 in my Kraton EXB with this and moving my Dumbo over to my 3s BRCC to replace the FlySky GT3c radio/receiver I have in that.

I've made a number of improvements to my GT5 with 3D printing that can be found at the link below incase you are able to take advantage of that if you end up getting at GT5 that is.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4647728

Are any of you who have the SLT3 having issues with lost connectivity over relatively short distances? I've watched two YouTube videos (see below) where the reviewers had issues with the car/truck becoming unresponsive and the SLT3 seemed like it was to blame. While driving my Typhon 3s in my back yard, I have also been having odd issues where the Typhon just stops responding and then starts responding again as I move closer to it. I don't really want to spend more money on this hobby, but yet it sure does seem like the SLT3 might be "the weakest link".
If I were to buy a new radio to try and improve connectivity between the radio and the car, is it advisable to also get a matching receiver?

I opted to buy a DumboRC X6 and two X6FG receivers which I fitted in my Granite V3 and my new Kraton 6S V4. I really like it! I'm still in the process of catching up after many years away.

It's nice having the option to turn the gyro on/off, just in case you fancy doing a few speed runs etc.

The only mod I did to the controller was to add a steering wheel foam.
Same thing. I have two receivers and a wheel foam on my dumbo

Are any of you who have the SLT3 having issues with lost connectivity over relatively short distances? I've watched two YouTube videos (see below) where the reviewers had issues with the car/truck becoming unresponsive and the SLT3 seemed like it was to blame. While driving my Typhon 3s in my back yard, I have also been having odd issues where the Typhon just stops responding and then starts responding again as I move closer to it. I don't really want to spend more money on this hobby, but yet it sure does seem like the SLT3 might be "the weakest link".
If I were to buy a new radio to try and improve connectivity between the radio and the car, is it advisable to also get a matching receiver?
I’m having same problem. I have the Big Rock crew cab with the slt3 and if I go maybe 80 ft away it just stops. It won’t reconnect until I walk around 15ft up to it. It also just randomly has glitches like it loses signal for a second then regains it.

Did you figure this out yet? I contacted Arrma about this and waiting for a response.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back