Talion Is FPV on a Talion a bad idea?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drog

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
My local hobby shop told me FPV on an RC car is pretty cool but thinks the Talion has too much power to use an FPV system safely. His arguments made perfect sense -- scale speed, depth perception, peripheral vision, and camera stability are fine for slower cars but can make faster cars dangerous. I would still like to know if anyone has tried it on a Talion and what they thought.

My local hobby shop told me FPV on an RC car is pretty cool but thinks the Talion has too much power to use an FPV system safely. His arguments made perfect sense -- scale speed, depth perception, peripheral vision, and camera stability are fine for slower cars but can make faster cars dangerous. I would still like to know if anyone has tried it on a Talion and what they thought.

I have done some FPV on my monster truck and it goes 55-60 MPH and it's fun. The downside is you can't see behind you and you really need to have a good FPV system or you will lose signal. Also one problem I had was I was getting some interference with the video when I would hit the throttle I ended up covering up the ESC and it went away.

His arguments made perfect sense -- scale speed, depth perception, peripheral vision, and camera stability are fine for slower cars but can make faster cars dangerous.
I would counter and suggest anyone who says they are fine for slower RC's, needs to watch some drone racing FPV video. These guys are not only flying at high speeds, but doing flips and rolls and all sorts of other moves and FPV works just fine for them.

I tried it on my Typhon and broke my foot. To each their own. Just be safe about it. 4 weeks in a walking boot sucks...

Hi I fly FPV drones my more powerful ones probably hit close to 90+ mph. I've also put an fpv camera on a losi micro raminator! Tiny MT. As I'm used to flying fpv, depth perception wasn't really an issue as I'm already used to it. Most of the other comments also apply, I can't see behind me when I'm flying, etc. The thing that really is worth noting is that as you're vtx is basically at ground level I think you'll get reduced range for the fpv feed, more importantly a well tuned quad flies smoothly (even if flying aggressively), so the camera picture is steady. With a car think how much the body vibrates when you drive unless you're driving on a smooth surface the vibrations will create crazy jello in the fpv feed, or you need some very good vibration dampening for the camera. I'd say if you've got the kit already, give it a go, just make sure there's no one around to hit!

I have tried a few times with a 50 mph truck and it is no doubt dangerous without prior fpv experience. This does not mean you shouldn’t do it, just be mindful of your surroundings including yourself. The perspective fpv gives you takes some getting used to. So you are going to crash into things at any speed while figuring it out. I thought I was giving a basketball pole plenty of room and hit it at full speed. Total yard sale when the dust settled.

Other food for thought... unprotected fpv gear sticking above the top of your vehicle will likely get destroyed if you drive like me. I 3D printed a roll cage for my all-in-one unit that allows me to stick it to my hood without worry. Somehow protect it or drive accordingly. If you are wondering about range, I get about 200yds with a clear sight line or half that with obstructions (in the woods). That is with a 200mw eachine all-in-one and cloverleaf antennas at both ends.

I would counter and suggest anyone who says they are fine for slower RC's, needs to watch some drone racing FPV video. These guys are not only flying at high speeds, but doing flips and rolls and all sorts of other moves and FPV works just fine for them.

His point was about the amount of space you're typically going to encounter with an RC car. He did think it would be cool but warned me to be cautious and seek out wide open areas.

So great replies so far. What easy to install FPV equipment would you use? I am a complete noob at this.

I'd suggest a runcam swift micro, it comes with a metal bracket you could maybe mount it inside the car hanging from the roof, depending on body clearance and if you've got a clear window. A VTX03, you'd need a 5v bec to power it or a separate smaller lipo and probably some Quanam Goggles they're not a bad first experience and relatively cheap.

I run the TX03 on my truck with EV100 googles. I power the TX03 with 1s lipos and get around 10 minutes for every 500mah at full power. I use it on a number of different platforms and dedicated lipos makes it easier to move from vehicle to vehicle. It is a cheap and idiot proof setup that I figured I would get my feet wet with. It has been a ton of fun and frankly I see no reason to upgrade.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back