Typhon Is Higher Punch setting = bad for RC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenwm

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Mojave
  4. Senton 3s
  5. Typhon 3s
  6. Vorteks
Received my hobbywing programming card and was going to set the punch higher on my Arrma 3 and 6s models

Was wondering if having the punch set at it’s highest could cause any damage or if there’s any negatives to doing this

Thanks

I'm still learning a little myself but...damage? Eh, kinda depends on how you drive it. You'll experience everything you'd expect with faster acceleration. More wear on your tires, Lipo's draining faster, might tear up a diff or cause more damage in your drivetrain somewhere. More likely to flip the car over or lose control. I personally keep the punch a moderately low and reserve the crazy wheelies and fun such as that for my Outcast.

Question....any tech stuff is not my genre we'll say. How do u use a programming card, why, and where do most folks run ur brake setting also? Just curious on the last question.

Question....any tech stuff is not my genre we'll say. How do u use a programming card, why, and where do most folks run ur brake setting also? Just curious on the last question.
Plug it in the fan power on the esc, and it'll pop up on the hobbywing one. Scroll through the item number and value and tap value to change it. There is a table on the front of them. I run my brake at 50%.

Ohhh. Cool man thanks for the info then. Ive never changed any of the settings on my big rock. But as of now my motor is getting really warm. 20min at 9pm it was prob still 85° but no full throttle and just some back and forth hoping off the curb. Sounds a bit chirpy almost. Or like the electric sound is not crisp. Almost not a whine but the pitch is a bit higher and not as clean. She runs fine with motor temp too warm. And no I haven't got a temp gun yet. Today was foist day it warmed so quick. 3 days ago had a grassy on the side of a hill run for 30min. Motor wasnt as hot as today. Ideas anyone?
Honestly it all seems a bit too warm

Ohhh. Cool man thanks for the info then. Ive never changed any of the settings on my big rock. But as of now my motor is getting really warm. 20min at 9pm it was prob still 85° but no full throttle and just some back and forth hoping off the curb. Sounds a bit chirpy almost. Or like the electric sound is not crisp. Almost not a whine but the pitch is a bit higher and not as clean. She runs fine with motor temp too warm. And no I haven't got a temp gun yet. Today was foist day it warmed so quick. 3 days ago had a grassy on the side of a hill run for 30min. Motor wasnt as hot as today. Ideas anyone?
Honestly it all seems a bit too warm
Check your motor bearings, particularly the front one. Odds are one or both of them are on the way out.

While you have the motor out, check the rest of the drive train for any binding.

It's bad for control. Had mine maxed and multiple attempts of this(this is the only one I breached the top) didn't overheat me. But I did see a much faster battery drain. But the effect is what you would expect if you gave your car a shot of NOS at the starting line.

might tear up a diff or cause more damage in your drivetrain somewhere
^^this, especially if you snap to 100% every time you pull the throttle
where do most folks run ur brake setting also?
Depends on rig, power and weight. On my typhon 3s, 50% is plenty. On my Moj EXB and Noto, 25% because they weigh a ton and batter diff cups if I squeeze the break.

Tire size and gearing have a lot to do with it. My Typhon likes lots of punch on short wheels and a taller pinion. Kraton backflips on punch 3 just fine. I am still not sure what ESC punch does compared to transmitter punch, which is meant to take up the slack in the servo linkage on nitro cars. I imagine it raises the initial throttle response off the floor in a similar fashion, but ESC punch seems to help perk up mid-throttle jabs, too.

Yep think thats what I'll be doing during the heat of the day today. Take her out this eve and after getting a temp gun.

When I bent the motor mount and trashed the spur gear could that have bound up something else? Like motor bearings or diffs?

Yep think thats what I'll be doing during the heat of the day today. Take her out this eve and after getting a temp gun.

When I bent the motor mount and trashed the spur gear could that have bound up something else? Like motor bearings or diffs?
Check your rear input gear and diff ring. That's all connected to the spur gear (y) Sometimes, the front input gear and ring gear get stripped also. Usually from bad nose dive type landings haha

Back