Typhon Is it Always about power to weight?! ...in the end.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Typhon 3s
  4. Typhon 6s
  5. Voltage
Is it??

6S Typhon Truggy
6S Lipo 100C
11.28 lbs (5118gm) Total
- Stock Fitted Pinion: 16T, Metal
- Stock Fitted Spur: 50T, Metal
61.4mph

3S Typhon
3S Lipo 100C
7.65 lbs (3472gm) Total
- Upgraded Fitted Pinion: 20T, Metal (15t stock)
- Stock Fitted Spur: 57T, Composite
72.6 mph

Both running Duratrax Bandito's at different proportional sizes.

Is it??

6S Typhon Truggy
6S Lipo 100C
11.28 lbs (5118gm) Total
- Stock Fitted Pinion: 16T, Metal
- Stock Fitted Spur: 50T, Metal
61.4mph

3S Typhon

3S Lipo 100C
7.65 lbs (3472gm) Total
- Upgraded Fitted Pinion: 20T, Metal (15t stock)
- Stock Fitted Spur: 57T, Composite
72.6 mph

Both running Duratrax Bandito's at different proportional sizes.
What KV in each?

The top speeds you are seeing are just due to the gear ratio, and not the power to weight ratio. The 6s typhon can make passes in the 90s with just a gear change.

Edit: I should caution you that the stock tires might fly apart well before you hit 90, and you will overheat things very quickly if you make more than a pass or two before letting things cool down.

Last edited:
What KV in each?

Typhon 6S. Firma 4074 2050KV with a Firma 150A ESC
Typhon 3S. Spectrum Firma 3660 3200KV with a BLX100 ESC

Want to put the 20t pinion they gave me in the Typhon 6S Truggy but maybe 18t is better?
This build i started.

The top speeds you are seeing are just due to the gear ratio, and not the power to weight ratio. The 6s typhon can make passes in the 90s with just a gear change.

Edit: I should caution you that the stock tires might fly apart well before you hit 90, and you will overheat things very quickly if you make more than a pass or two before letting things cool down.

Thanks, Im starting to learn F/C/R ratio differences between these 6S models and how they can be manipulated for different applications. Its easy enough to have a few different difs for application. Or am I over thinking it?
So Its more than just spur and pinion rations? I need a list of rations and expected outcome per application.

The stock tires on both 3S and 6S models were ballooning like mad. Im trying these Duratrax Bandito C2 Tires on the 3S and want to find a belted type of the same size'ish.
I have the Duratrax Bandito MT Belt 2.8's on the 6S now. Neither are ballooning but not had either much over low 70's.

Im also learning Tires. They cost a premium too :rolleyes:

Been starting to DB info for comparison sake and i need to find some calculators too, you know, calculate things for me.
For a Typhon 6S Truggy for speed runs over grass and playing fields. I want/need to do 80+ across the entire park field in seconds for no good reason whatsoever :-D

And can I buy the different DIF boxes for each of these models and change them out?

Kraton 6S
- Stock Fitted Pinion: 12T, 1.0m pitch
- Stock Fitted Spur: 50T, 1.0m pitch
- Dif Crown Gear: 43t 0.9m
- Dif pinion Gear: 10t 0.9m
- internal Gear Ratio: 4.3

Talion 6S BLX
- Stock Fitted Pinion: 15t 1.0
- Stock Fitted Spur: 50t 1.0
- Dif Crown Gear: 42t 1.0
- Dif pinion Gear: 10t 1.0
- internal Gear Ratio: 4:3

Typhon 6S
- Stock Fitted Pinion: 16T 1.0
- Stock Fitted Spur: 50T 1.0
- Dif Crown Gear: 43t 1m
- Dif pinion Gear: 13t 1m
- internal Gear Ratio: 3.3

Then what about the Front and Rear Difs?

Last edited:
You can just change the pinion gear on the motor, and maybe the spur gear on the center diff. No need to mess with the front and rear diffs unless you want to go well over 100 mph. The stock motor mount will fit a 23 tooth pinion. Maybe 24. You can throw in the 46 tooth spur gear from the infraction/felony to go faster. You also have options for a 40 tooth spur from Robinson racing or the limitless spool.

80 mph on grass will burn up stock electronics pretty quickly. You might not even make it there for one pass unless the grass is very very short.

You can just change the pinion gear on the motor, and maybe the spur gear on the center diff. No need to mess with the front and rear diffs unless you want to go well over 100 mph. The stock motor mount will fit a 23 tooth pinion. Maybe 24. You can throw in the 46 tooth spur gear from the infraction/felony to go faster. You also have options for a 40 tooth spur from Robinson racing or the limitless spool.

80 mph on grass will burn up stock electronics pretty quickly. You might not even make it there for one pass unless the grass is very very short.

understood!

But what do the difference in F/R gear boxes do/offer between the different models?
how do they change the behavior? Compromises?

I was thinking of trying a 23t Pinion.
With bigger 2.8 Bandito MTs on the street I’m hitting low-mid 60s.
I’d think that would give up low 70s.

FELONY 6S 80+ stock
- Stock Fitted Pinion: 16T
- Stock Fitted Spur: 46T
- Dif Crown Gear: F: 42T 0.9m; R: 45T 0.9m
- Dif pinion Gear: F: 15T 0.9m; R: 14T 0.9m
- internal Gear Ratio: 2.8/3.21
- Weight 11lb (5kg)

INFRACTION 6S 80+ stock
- Stock Fitted Pinion: 15T
- Stock Fitted Spur: 46T
- Dif Crown Gear: F: 42T 0.9m
- Dif pinion Gear: F: 15T 0.9m
- Internal Gear Ratio
2.8:1
- Weight 11lb (5kg)

TYPHON 6S 70+ stock
- Stock Fitted Pinion: 16T
- Stock Fitted Spur: 50T
- Dif Crown Gear: F: 43T 1m
- Dif pinion Gear: F: 13T 1m
- Internal Gear Ratio 3.3:1
- New Weight: 9.1 lbs, Truggy w/2.8’s

The infraction/felony f/r diffs let you go faster if you can’t spin the center shaft any faster with pinion/spur changes, or if you have an infraction/felony/limitless with the long rear center shaft that will fail it it spins too fast.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back