Infraction Is it ok to run 3s and 4s lipos in series to make 7s through Max 6

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mathesonfire

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
  2. Typhon 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
Is it ok to run 3s and 4s lipo in series to make 7s through the Max 6, same MAH and burst current (5000mah 100C)? Will it fry the esc or motor being different voltages each battery? Thank you very much!

I'd do it only if the internal cell resistance between the packs is close. See if your charger has a resistance measurement function and check the IR. If there's a lot of difference you'll empty the weaker pack first, could even destroy it. The electronics will be fine, althoug I don't know if the ESC will arm on 7s or you have to stick it in NiMH mode.

Is it ok to run 3s and 4s lipo in series to make 7s through the Max 6, same MAH and burst current (5000mah 100C)? Will it fry the esc or motor being different voltages each battery? Thank you very much!

I would never personally do that. Even though it can be done is not necessarily safe. Here is just 1 example. I have some Panthers, they actually take almost 4900MAH and they are 4000 packs. Another brand I have says 4000MAH and only take 3800MAH. This is with multiple ESC's cutting them both off at 3.4v. For me, series connections will always be same brand/pack, same voltage/MAH just like a parallel connection.

I never mix batteries anymore. Last summer my buddy ran one of his reaction 3s lipos.. 5000 mah in series with 1 of mine.. same exact battery and c rating. Obviously way different aged batteries. We got about 2 minutes out of it and the esc popped and started hissing nasty smoke out of it. This could easily be just a faulty esc. It was a brand new ESC and the company did warranty it. When the new one came he bought 2 matched batteries and only runs them in his 6s rig and has never had an issue since. So take that with a grain of salt i guess. just my personal experience. Its pretty god damn terrifying when the rig is 200 meters away from you and you hear a loud pop.... then a huge smoke could. lol.. Talk about panic running.

You should be fine with same brand same mAh same c. Definitely would not mix brands or age.
all new same brand, mah, burst etc just different voltage thank you so much!
I never mix batteries anymore. Last summer my buddy ran one of his reaction 3s lipos.. 5000 mah in series with 1 of mine.. same exact battery and c rating. Obviously way different aged batteries. We got about 2 minutes out of it and the esc popped and started hissing nasty smoke out of it. This could easily be just a faulty esc. It was a brand new ESC and the company did warranty it. When the new one came he bought 2 matched batteries and only runs them in his 6s rig and has never had an issue since. So take that with a grain of salt i guess. just my personal experience. Its pretty god damn terrifying when the rig is 200 meters away from you and you hear a loud pop.... then a huge smoke could. lol.. Talk about panic running.
appreciate this it all helps mate thanks!
You should be fine with same brand same mAh same c. Definitely would not mix brands or age.
they are thanks mate, I hope so lol
thank you for all the information much appreciated, good to know (for me) that they were way different age, mine are all new same everything except for voltage, sorry about your mate but thank him for his sacrifice and helping us all take a lesson. Thanks again mate!
I would never personally do that. Even though it can be done is not necessarily safe. Here is just 1 example. I have some Panthers, they actually take almost 4900MAH and they are 4000 packs. Another brand I have says 4000MAH and only take 3800MAH. This is with multiple ESC's cutting them both off at 3.4v. For me, series connections will always be same brand/pack, same voltage/MAH just like a parallel connection.
shall keep this in mind thank you for that mate much appreciated!
I'd do it only if the internal cell resistance between the packs is close. See if your charger has a resistance measurement function and check the IR. If there's a lot of difference you'll empty the weaker pack first, could even destroy it. The electronics will be fine, althoug I don't know if the ESC will arm on 7s or you have to stick it in NiMH mode.
mate this helps very much so thanks a million. It is a Max
You will need a low voltage alarm if you run in NiMH mode.
thanks heaps mate!

Last edited:
I know a lot of guys do/did that with the savage flux. They wanted more than 4S, but 6S in it was a pain to drive, so they would run a 3S and 2S pack in series. Those that did it seemed to like it. I think most of them were running a savage without a center diff. 4S in that thing is a pain without a center diff, at least the savage flux hp (short version).

I ran 4S in mine, then got a center diff transmission, continued on 4S for a while, then changed gearing and ran 6S. It is a handful on 6S... but not so much that I'd bother trying to run 5S in it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back