Typhon Is it possible to install 12mm hexes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mechanical 77

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have bought recently a used Typhon 2s 4x4 mega and it appears that it looks like it is an old version of the buggy with threaded hex shafts and 7mm nuts on it but I can't find the part number of those shafts, also I would like to install those shafts on my new 3s Typhon to be able to fit a 12mm hex on it, or is there another solution..?

Last edited:
All the versions used 17mm hexes. So i guess the axles were changed by the previous owner.

If i understand correctly you have AR310784 installed instead.

JFPAW32UKK4TCQHGZ8XXDG4C8E4ZMJJ22WZVK9JYR8RC9KGWUD.jpg

You can use these axles in your 3s Typhon, and mate it with a 12mm hexes without issues.

It's exactly the part number that I was looking for so long, also am I right of thinking that the Vortex hexes will be the better option to match with those shafts on the 3s buggy..?

17mm is the better alternative. 14mm was stock. 12mm is a downgrade IMO.

17mm is the better alternative. 14mm was stock. 12mm is a downgrade IMO.
Yeah it's not a huge revelation, also I plan to use only 2s batteries and I need 12mm hexes to be able to install smaller and larger tires.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Arrma could have easily used 12mm hex's. There was an obvious reason they went to an odd 14mm, and I agree it is hard to deal with as a result. Limits tire/wheel selection drastically. don't expect to bash hard with 12mm. It works for many. You are not the first to do this. 17mm wheels are much more durable. Selection is abundant also. My only point.
4x4 4s rigs are 17mm. FWIW.
You wanted an answer, Mine just wasn't what you wanted to hear. I guess you already had the answer anyway? :unsure:
:cool:

Last edited:
I got the Arrma 12mm hexs but they needed washers to shim out the axle slop so I abandoned that one because I couldn't be F with washers. And there sits another pack of parts I don't need.

Yonic already gave you the answer. Vorteks hexes are same as all the other 14mm hexes, so that's not going to help you, but Arrma makes a 12mm version for those axles: https://bit.ly/3vbTcCM
Ok I was thinking that if I use Traxxas hexes for exemple, then I need to oversize from 5mm to 6mm and I had fear to finished with too much side play with it but I could shimmed if necessary I suposed.

Anyhow thank you so much for your help.
I got the Arrma 12mm hexs but they needed washers to shim out the axle slop so I abandoned that one because I couldn't be F with washers. And there sits another pack of parts I don't need.
Is there hexes that don't need to be shimmed to work well with those axles..:unsure:

Last edited:

Interesting, I've got those 12mm hexes on my Vorteks and they fit really well. No shims.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back