Is it really bad to leave the battery un attended while charging?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shingo

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I always charge my battery un attended and I was wondering what’s the worst that can happen. I charge them in a metal ammo box outside on top of my fire pit.

I understand why you shouldn’t charge them un attended where something could catch fire but outside?

So what’s the worst that could happen?

I always charge my battery un attended and I was wondering what’s the worst that can happen. I charge them in a metal ammo box outside on top of my fire pit.

I understand why you shouldn’t charge them un attended where something could catch fire but outside?

So what’s the worst that could happen?
I do it all the time.

I charge them unattended but with a twist. I put a blink camera pointed at the battery and charger, if it smokes or catches fire I will know within 10 seconds.

:)

I'm not poking at you, that video just popped in my head when I read the "10 seconds" part.

Its not a great idea, but you can IF you remember to unplug it when it reaches the desired charge level, or its full.. I frequently leave the room while my lipos are charging under certain circumstances, but I set a timer that rings every 5 or 10 min that brings me back in to check the battery.. I've been doing this for years with no issues, but I take precautions like charging in a lipo bag and storing batteries in lipo bags, while in a large ammo can. Also when not in use my lipos are always kept at 50% charge

Outside unattended is ok, just periodically look outside to check them out. Worst that can happen is you can loose a lipo and scorched ammo box depending where the charger is.

:)

I'm not poking at you, that video just popped in my head when I read the "10 seconds" part.
For sure that could happen, I do charge the battery in a lipo bag too. I still need to go get a 50cal ammo can to store them in. There is a guy in our rock crawling group his house burned down because of lipos. Scary stuff

Many of us don't alot of the time. Doesn't make it okay. My charger has an alarm and a limit set. Doesn't mean it can't fail. The worst that can happen is fairly obvious. Someone here once posted pictures of a guys garage that burned down from tool lipos. Since I saw that, I make sure to be pretty close by while they're plugged in.

I know I'm not as careful as I should be. I sit in the room when they are charging and I check on them frequently when discharging to storage voltage, but I don't store them in a battery safe or anything the rest of the time.

I understand the issue indoor, but outdoor, in a fire pit, beside maybe damaging the charger in cas of a fire, I don’t see the big issue.
See, that's what happens when i follow the forum from my phone. Never fully read some of the posts. Outside on a fire pit. Seems ideal. My bad.

I do occasionally leave unattended when I go out in my yard to run a truck but only on 1c charge rate. They're in my shop shed way back from my house. I'm usually nervous about it but would rather be nervous than over-confident. There was one time I fell asleep overnight and left a quadcopter lipo on charge. The next morning I thanked the Lord and swore I'd pay better attention. Beer doesn't always mix with charging packs especially when I relax and forget.
In my opinion it's all about having respect for the dangerous stuff and acting on it. Never take anything for granted. When I get comfortable is when something fails.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back