Felony Is it time for two chutes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should try to fix stability before going to 2.
Speculation Mode: ON

I actually think that two chutes might help him stabilize because with the one chute, if it pulls to one side due to a wind gust, there's really not much you're going to do about that.

What I think might be helpful is to lengthen the chute lines a good bit. If the chute is pulling at the car from further behind the vehicle, this should accomplish two things:
  1. By being further away from the car it should out of the wash of air coming off the back of the car and
  2. it should be less prone to being pulled sideways and just pulling from directly behind the car.
It's something that I think would be worthwhile to play around with.

You should try to fix stability before going to 2.
The last two where it went straight are the most recent. Learned the gyro does not enjoy the chute at all. Got to be down till a quarter turn or less from zero. But I do think two will help with stability too

I actually think that two chutes might help him stabilize because with the one chute, if it pulls to one side due to a wind gust, there's really not much you're going to do about that.

What I think might be helpful is to lengthen the chute lines a good bit. If the chute is pulling at the car from further behind the vehicle, this should accomplish two things:
  1. By being further away from the car it should out of the wash of air coming off the back of the car and
  2. it should be less prone to being pulled sideways and just pulling from directly behind the car.
I agree. I’m gonna get longer lines on the twin chutes. The hard part is it’s all hand sewn by my wife. I’m like the 6yo begging for ice cream before dinner with how many she has sewn for me so far. 😂
Why stop there? Bump it up to three for that Apollo re-entry splashdown feeling :LOL:
Don’t tempt me with a good time 😂

Attachments

• B5199181-34C2-4C6C-B427-D46E02A9B44F.png
    B5199181-34C2-4C6C-B427-D46E02A9B44F.png
    184.4 KB · Views: 32

I didn't hear any wind on the phone mic (usually pics up wind), didn't see any leaves on branches moving. I doubt there was wind when it went sideways.
Try to youtube video about car parachute physics. That might help.

Edit: More weight on the back of the car might make the back end not slide as much.

I didn't hear any wind on the phone mic (usually pics up wind), didn't see any leaves on branches moving. I doubt there was wind when it went sideways.

Edit: More weight on the back of the car might make the back end not slide as much.
There was a left to right crosswind, enough to push the chute to the side when it got slow enough. Check out the full videos on YouTube, they are all shorts, but I only post there so I can share here. I think it’s good enough now to either go faster or try two chutes.

Ok professor parachute, whatever you say. Maybe try to read the leaves better next time? That might help. He had crosswinds. I was only using a wind gust as an example for what could pull a chute sideways, it wasn't intended as a definitive statement as to what happened in the video. I'm well aware that it could just as easily, or even more likely, could have been turbulence coming off the back of the car. My point was more that its close proximity to the rear end of the car was a contributing factor to it being yoinked sideways like that. Sorry if you felt like I stepped on your toes, it definitely wasn't my intention. EZ brother. ✌️

Well gonna start testing it in a wide open space and launching it as fast as it can go. Let’s see what happens. If make a longer video would that be better? Or keep the shorts? Just curious
Can't wait to see how it goes. Personally, I'm a fan of long form content, but do whatever is easiest for you. Good luck! (y)

The other thing I worry about making it longer is the time till it opens. The longer the cord, the more time till it pops and then slows and straightens the car. I have 2 more Orange 18” chutes, so I think I’ll make a longer one and a really short one and do a few runs with each. Gonna be a Monday video if that’s cool. But I guess we will see the difference in the tests, and I’ll make it a longer video.

The other thing I worry about making it longer is the time till it opens. The longer the cord, the more time till it pops and then slows and straightens the car. I have 2 more Orange 18” chutes, so I think I’ll make a longer one and a really short one and do a few runs with each. Gonna be a Monday video if that’s cool. But I guess we will see the difference in the tests, and I’ll make it a longer video.
Yeah, I was thinking about the need to deploy the chutes a little earlier with longer cords for the aforementioned reason. I know I've seen it on the full scale drag strip somewhat frequently where you'll see the chute deploy even well before they're across the finish line.

You make the video whenever you have time, no fuss from my side. I'm just along for the ride, as it were. :) I look forward to it though, I think this is really interesting.

Yeah, I was thinking about the need to deploy the chutes a little earlier with longer cords for the aforementioned reason. I know I've seen it on the full scale drag strip somewhat frequently where you'll see the chute deploy even well before they're across the finish line.

You make the video whenever you have time, no fuss from my side. I'm just along for the ride, as it were. :) I look forward to it though, I think this is really interesting.
Yea I’m not entirely sure why I’ve kept it going so long, but it’s been a really fun learning experience and it’s going to be hilarious when I put the tiny chute on random crap I have. Like my wife’s car, or my Honda monkey. Totally worth the laughs

I think you should try experimenting with different chute designs: size, shape, line length. Ironically, not all chutes are designed the same. Each one would need to be tailored to the speed at which it's deployed. It has alot to do with the size of the chute, the Reynolds number of the fluid (respect to the fluid density and whether the flow is turbulent or laminar) and the scale of the object/chute.

Take top fuel dragsters or funny cars, for example. The chute design is radically different than a personal parachuting chute, and then even more different than NASA's parachutes. All about how you want to let flow through in the right way.

I'd start by either making some "legs" for your chute (so it looks somewhat like an X pattern from the top), or I would try a deeper chute (less shallow) and put some relief holes in the end. i would also try a longer line to increase chute stability.

Awesome stuff mate! (y)

Well, that’s some fun engineering! I’m sure you’ll get it straightened out, pun intended. I’m taking a different approach on my current build, employing an AIG (anti-inertia generator) but the only flux capacitor that can safely power it has to run on U-233 and it’s currently out of stock on AliExpress.
But seriously, I think this is a really fun exercise that would add quite a scale element to RC drag racing.
I wouldn’t think it would be applicable to speed running at all though due to (probably) a total lack of control at crazy high speeds.
Freaking cool to see an RC car deploy a ‘chute though, I gotta say!

I like this thread! Has got me thinking, what if I attached a good size parachute to the top of my granite. Then when I launch it 30 feet up at the skate park, it could float down. Or smash into the ground. It would be cool, whatever happens.

Good luck with your two parachute experiment coming up. Can’t wait to see the results!

Quick update.

Haven’t forgotten, still working on the video, I am not a pro YouTube guy, also not a pro rc driver. Smacked a curb a little too hard while my car was showing me cartwheels, and I bent some suspension components that are now preventing it from driving straight. Tried driving it after but the force from the chute sends the car into a violent lane change, super random, and that’s when I decided to stop and order parts. That is all I’m waiting on. Next weekend should install it all and be ripping again. Sorry for the wait.
Some pics of the stuff

Attachments

• 97ECE68D-4603-4332-A44F-F2153DF5D7B6.jpeg
    97ECE68D-4603-4332-A44F-F2153DF5D7B6.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 26
  • C293C378-84E4-410B-A42C-36E0B17372CD.jpeg
    C293C378-84E4-410B-A42C-36E0B17372CD.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 28
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back