Is it true that the BLX 185 cannot be run with 5S LiPo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inferno

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Is it true that the BLX 185 ESC cannot be run with 5S LiPo?

If a 5S LiPo is attached, would it just run as a 4S one, or not run at all? Would it harm the LiPo and/or the ESC?

TIA.

Cheers,
Michael

Also when you put it into NiMH mode you will need to run an external low voltage alarm as it will drain the battery to 0 volts, which is not a good thing. Just in case you didn't know.

I always understood 6S in the title that it can handle up to 6S.

This is why all those Youtube reviews are garbage, in no time ever, and I saw plenty of reviews, the 5S mode is mentioned.

To make it worst I have three new lipos of 5S 5500mah coming in the mail, some cash on those.

Mine is the BLX185, just got the Talion today. And was curious because kept on seeing it would say 4s and 6s... and I was like, what happened to 5s.

I have two 4000mah 2S, I'll use those for now. Do have a adjustable low voltage external alarm. Most of my other RC I can usually tell when its getting low on v, power out of turns, snappiness, and overall top speed changes slightly. Sure enough its close to 3.60v by then and the alarm on other brushless 1/10 is set to 3.20.

If you have the BLX 185, that means you have a max amp draw of 180 correct? So is it correct to say, the best power source would be a 150c that discharges at 190 amps?

Received today the 5S batteries, set the ESC185 (black fan version) to nimh, hooked the external low voltage alarm.
IMG_20170323_172325.jpg

IMG_20170323_172231.jpg

Ran it this afternoon on 5S, and had no issues on NIMH settings, of course monitoring low voltage. Like stated, I usually can tell when its reaching 3.5v, gets sluggish on acceleration and top end is not that crisp.
Did call ARRMA tech support, in less than a minute had a tech on the line and he did confirm ESC will go on limp mode to 6V if using 5S on lipo setting.
I will think about if returning the other two batteries, to me five cells is about right for the location I bash which is behind my house.

After I talked to ARRMA tech support, and mentioned it is clear under tech notes in the Tower Hobbies site, went ahead to the site to double check for accuracy.

Attached is the battery requirements for the ARRMA Talion, it is understood one single 4S, 5S, and 6S, NOT that is one single 4S or 6S. Instead of 4S-6S, shall be 4S OR 6S.
I also checked the box and nowhere does it say 5S is not compatible. Right now I have more than $200 (w tax) in 5S batteries and cannot check low voltage w ESC (external, yes)

arrma_battery_TH.JPG

When ARRMA adds to the title 6S, it falls into interpretation anything up to 6S, cannot believe they do not mention of lipo battery limitations anywhere, and to make it worst NONE (and I have seen plenty of videos), do not mention the lipo to ESC available combinations. I see it as false advertising, and somehow ARRMA should be responsible for such lack of information, spent the last 20 minutes browsing the site and there is no specific about the 5S limitation with the speed controller.

Last edited:
...Do you remember that the ESC had to distinguish between 4S an 6S automatily to set the right cut off voltage?..
The voltages fully charged or near empty are too close to each other that the ESC can distinguish sure and maybe will kill you´re battery or goes in Lipo-cut off with an fully 5S..
If you will use the max8, you can set it manually. If I remember correct, the BLX185 is also mounted in the Neros and they needs 1 Lipo on each side. In that case it makes no sense to put an 2-cell right and a 3-cell left.

At least... It is cheaper to buy an smaller charger, maybe below 100W, which can charge one 3S then an 5S
Just calculate; 11V (3S) x 5,5A = 60W / 18,5V(5S) x 5,5A = 101,75W.

Just my 2 cents,
Regards,
lonee

...Do you remember that the ESC had to distinguish between 4S an 6S automatily to set the right cut off voltage?..
The voltages fully charged or near empty are too close to each other that the ESC can distinguish sure and maybe will kill you´re battery or goes in Lipo-cut off with an fully 5S..
If you will use the max8, you can set it manually. If I remember correct, the BLX185 is also mounted in the Neros and they needs 1 Lipo on each side. In that case it makes no sense to put an 2-cell right and a 3-cell left.

At least... It is cheaper to buy an smaller charger, maybe below 100W, which can charge one 3S then an 5S
Just calculate; 11V (3S) x 5,5A = 60W / 18,5V(5S) x 5,5A = 101,75W.

Just my 2 cents,
Regards,
lonee

I am curious about amp draw of the 185 and the best c rating lipo to pair with it. Is it true that a 150c battery with a constant discharge rate of 190 amps would optimize the 185 ESC? Also with xt90 connectors and 10 gauge wire, can the the 185 perform its amp draw? If I changed to xt150, would I potentially reduce heat?

You are just reducing heat in you´re connectors and cables with you´re plan...

The main thing is what you´re system max. takes on amps on fully load.
Then what inner resistance the ESC will have. At less inner resistance at high the price and the efficiency of the ESC.
At least, it the cables of you´re setup have an too high resistance and getting hot, than it makes sense to change plugs and cables.

On my rc-planes I measure the amps on the ground and full load on the motor, in the cars you will need an measuring instrument which stores the values temporarily or using telemetry.

I also do not have such instruments which can measure so high amps. My highest can cover up to 150A , so I calculate the full power (for 1:8 cars), add an secure value and then I choose cables, connectors an ESC which will fit to car and motor.
For 1:10 and smaller I use jeti telemetry with sensor, small receiver and jeti-box and have in real time values include max ratings or alarm for overload (if it is programmed). But this is just an measurement setup for getting informations, afterwards I unmount the jeti parts and put my other receivers in the car for normal use.

Just my 2 cents,

lonee

It´s is a try for explanation why the BLX did not work on 5S automatically.
If the ESC could not realize grounded on voltage which Lipo is connected-> Lipo cut off could not work correctly.
Thats why you have to read so many text! ;)
OK?

Regards
lonee

Simply wow, you live, you learn... Next time before buying any new brand items, will call the company asking for tech assistance, and then proceed to make the purchase depending how it goes. It is not true in this case, I get what I paid for (200 dollar purchase is not a cheap deal), called Value Hobby to ask if I could exchange, not return the batteries and not be penalized the 15% restocking fee. If I get hit with the charge, will buy from another site instead.

First time I call Value Hobby, I hear someone pickup the line, and hangs up. Called again, rang a few times, and some guy answers the phone, I thought I called the wrong number. He was chewing some french fries while talking, I ask what is his name, and he says its not important.
I start explaining the situation, and without saying excuse me, he interrupts and states "listen here is the deal and these are your choices..." and he kept rambling the so called store policies. He sounded as if he was high, or had a terrible hang over. He made it clear, they are a "small operation" and had no time to hear my explanation of what was wrong.
So far, I think two of the batteries are defective, and the 3rd one have not tested it yet. I told the guy, because he was no tech etc, let me give you my order number, I spent 200 dollars, and he told me he did not needed, and once again, it is not important.

Simply wow, you live, you learn... Next time before buying any new brand items, will call the company asking for tech assistance, and then proceed to make the purchase depending how it goes. It is not true in this case, I get what I paid for (200 dollar purchase is not a cheap deal), called Value Hobby to ask if I could exchange, not return the batteries and not be penalized the 15% restocking fee. If I get hit with the charge, will buy from another site instead.

First time I call Value Hobby, I hear someone pickup the line, and hangs up. Called again, rang a few times, and some guy answers the phone, I thought I called the wrong number. He was chewing some french fries while talking, I ask what is his name, and he says its not important.
I start explaining the situation, and without saying excuse me, he interrupts and states "listen here is the deal and these are your choices..." and he kept rambling the so called store policies. He sounded as if he was high, or had a terrible hang over. He made it clear, they are a "small operation" and had no time to hear my explanation of what was wrong.
So far, I think two of the batteries are defective, and the 3rd one have not tested it yet. I told the guy, because he was no tech etc, let me give you my order number, I spent 200 dollars, and he told me he did not needed, and once again, it is not important.
Another option would be to buy an ESC that can do 5s and then always have the stock one as a backup in case something happens. May not be the best or favored option, just throwing it out there.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies. So I understand that setting the ESC on NIMH modus, one can run it at 5S. Just the low voltage has to be checked.

Now my question - where one can change the modus from LiPo to NIMH?

Cheers,
Michael

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back