Outcast Is it worth it to get an upgraded motor and esc for bashing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The max6 combo was on sale for $200 on Black Friday, and it got me thinking about upgrading. The stock blx system will do standing backflips, go about as fast as non-belted tires will allow, and it seems like it will push the differentials to their limit.

Are there real significant advantages to going with the larger motor and esc other than maybe less heat? I don’t see how more power can be put down without popping wheels and diffs. Is the difference more noticeable on the longer wheelbase platforms that don’t already wheelie on command up to top speed?

It is hard to get a sense of the power increase through video reviews. The result looks pretty similar to the stock system, but I imagine less throttle is being used.

While I am asking questions, what is normally the bottleneck on the stock blx system. Is it the esc, motor, or battery?

If you stick with stock tires, the stock system is pretty good, even if you get rowdy with it. The only thing I'd suggest out of the gate would be to get a dual fan heat sink for the motor.

I run a max6 esc in mine in hopes to be able to bump the pinion up a tooth, but instead of thermalling at 12 minutes, it did it at 15 minutes, so wasn't really worth it in that regard. Still running the stock motor.

One benefit is you get a more capable BEC in the max6 so you can run a better servo and get more volume out of your fans.

I was running 3.8" strapped trenchers at the time. I've since switched to strapped backflips and geared it up a couple teeth. I can hammer on that thing through at least 2 sets of packs without it overheating on me now. The 3.8 trenchers were just too heavy for it. Sucks, because I really like those tires for running in grass and they hold up well on concrete at skate parks. So now, if I feel like hitting a skate park, I just run my ERVEv2 which has trenchers on it (same max6/blx2050 motor as well). It's a bit lighter in general so even though it's geared similarly to my outcast, things run cooler.

Back