Is it worth it

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
So I want to take my scx build to the next level and maybe do compitiotions with it. I've head that one of the best thing to do is get weight down low. So I was thinking of getting aluminium axles but they can gall when they drag on the rocks. I was also thinking of getting dual stage foams and alien compound tyres and a lexan body. I'm just wondering if the effects are noticeable enough to garner the price.

So I want to take my scx build to the next level and maybe do compitiotions with it. I've head that one of the best thing to do is get weight down low. So I was thinking of getting aluminium axles but they can gall when they drag on the rocks. I was also thinking of getting dual stage foams and alien compound tyres and a lexan body. I'm just wondering if the effects are noticeable enough to garner the price.
I don't even know what a scx is so don't ask me. 🤷‍♂️ :ROFLMAO:

Yeah I am big into Crawlers. Never really thought they would satisfy me. But my son wanted one, and we got one for him as gift, a SCX10.2 Deadbolt.
After seeing it and driving it I was hooked. Way different than bashing. Need a really powerful Servo. Because Steering actually helps you dig into the rocks and need very much powere form them. That is why they cannot use a Servo saver. Goes against you.
Crawler Innovations makes the best 2 stage foams and Pitbull Tires are the best IMHO. PL Hyrax are probably second choice, But don't quite grip as as well as the PIT Bull Rock Beast. You pay for what you get. And these are brands that you get what you pay for. II have numerous garbage tires here and foams. "Closed Cell" tire foam is the best. Just costs more.
You want Hard foams in the rear and soft in the front . (99% of the time)
Regarding weight Stay away from high bodies. Get a Pick up, or Truggy bed type body. They have a low center of gravity. No Jeeps and SUV's. (n)
Keep weight low below the frame rails as best you can. Plastic rock rails are best for skidding smoothly off rocks. Metal ones get you more Scale points in competition, but reduce driving ablility get caught on the rocks.. A trade off.
Have you Learned about Scale Crawling competition. It is very detailed. And there are several classes. Try to design your rig to one class.
If you just throw parts and wheels and wrong tires sizes, it may look good to you, but it will be a mut and wont conform to any one competition class.
A few years , heavy rigs were the rage with many Brass parts below the chassis etc. Now it seems that Lighter is the FAD now. I don't think it really matters as long as your rig works. And you know how to drive your rig on the rocks. But a Low Center of gravity is definitely the key. And keep the shock springs lower and softer in the front. Very thin shock oils work best Fr and RR. I like more weight at the front. Batteries are best placed there. And they can run on small 3s 1800-2200 mah lipos to get the right weight placement. There is so much to learn with Scale Crawlers. Way different than Basher Rc'ing.
Just some tips.

Last edited:
Yeah I am big into Crawlers. Never really thought they would satisfy me. But my son wanted one, and we got one for him as gift, a SCX10.2 Deadbolt.
After seeing it and driving it I was hooked. Way different than bashing. Need a really powerful Servo. Because Steering actually helps you dig into the rocks and need very much powere form them. That is why they cannot use a Servo saver. Goes against you.
Crawler Innovations makes the best 2 stage foams and Pitbull Tires are the best IMHO. PL Hyrax are probably second choice, But don't quite grip as as well as the PIT Bull Rock Beast. You pay for what you get. And these are brands that you get what you pay for. II have numerous garbage tires here and foams. "Closed Cell" tire foam is the best. Just costs more.
You want Hard foams in the rear and soft in the front . (99% of the time)
Regarding weight Stay away from high bodies. Get a Pick up, or Truggy bed type body. They have a low center of gravity. No Jeeps and SUV's. (n)
Keep weight low below the frame rails as best you can. Plastic rock rails are best for skidding smoothly off rocks. Metal ones get you more Scale points in competition, but reduce driving ablility get caught on the rocks.. A trade off.
Have you Learned about Scale Crawling competition. It is very detailed. And there are several classes. Try to design your rig to one class.
If you just throw parts and wheels and wrong tires sizes, it may look good to you, but it will be a mut and wont conform to any one competition class.
A few years , heavy rigs were the rage with many Brass parts below the chassis etc. Now it seems that Lighter is the FAD now. I don't think it really matters as long as your rig works. And you know how to drive your rig on the rocks. But a Low Center of gravity is definitely the key. And keep the shock springs lower and softer in the front. Very thin shock oils work best Fr and RR. I like more weight at the front. Batteries are best placed there. And they can run on small 3s 1800-2200 mah lipos to get the right weight placement. There is so much to learn with Scale Crawlers. Way different than Basher Rc'ing.
Just some tips.
I want to make a scaled car with the following parts:
Front/rear bumpers (winch and d ring comparable
Sliders
Rims
Any sort of scaled over landing accessories
Functional doors, hood, roof and tailgate
Maybe some sort of light kit.
More realistic interior.
I'm actually starting a build thread if you interested
So I should get soft dual stage for the front and hard dual stage in the rear?

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back