Granite Is it worth starting out with a Voltage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loki993

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
So I have a 5 year old that's interested in RCing and I am too for the most part. The initial plan was to get a decent truck for myself, leaning towards a Big Rock, that he could bash around with a bit too and then maybe pick up a Granite Voltage or two for him, and his 4 year old brother, to mess with and learn. The thing is I feel like the Voltage is really limited and he may get bored with it quickly, especially with me ripping around with something like the bigrock.

So if we try to upgrade it basically everything needs to be replaced right? So now I feel like I'm getting towards the price of a Mega if I do that and you get everything that comes with that, 4x4, better chassis, easier upgrade path but also a fair bit more money.

So the real question here is there a relatively cheap way to upgrade the Voltage to at least a decently fast truck and not completely overwhelm the chassis because most of the videos Ive seen appear to be putting very high powered brushless motors in them and turn them into basically undrivable wheelie machines. I like the idea of putting a brushless setup in one but I would line something thats still relatively drivable afterwards too.

No experience with the Voltage, but stay far away from the Mega.

The 4x4 Mega is too heavy for the brushed motor and it burns every few packs. This is very frustrating for everybody, especially for kids who don't understand why the truck is still broken. The 3S really is the way to go for the 4x4 version.

3s for sure. Turn the throttle down until they can handle the power and then turn it up, if you don't know these trucks come with 50%, 75%, and 100% throttle settings on the remote. You will get used to the 3s power fast and be able to enjoy it. Yes the Granite will wheelie but that's up to the driver to control it, which again you/the kids will get used to and learn how to control it.

The 4x4 Mega is too heavy for the brushed motor and it burns every few packs. This is very frustrating for everybody, especially for kids who don't understand why the truck is still broken. The 3S really is the way to go for the 4x4 version.

Right and that's is also an issue I figured...no real point in getting a mega as I saw it, so the mega isn't a good choice so as I see it its the voltage at 99 bucks or the 3s at 319.....as nice as it would be getting 3, or even 2 trucks, at the cost of 300 a pop isn't exactly what I wanted to do.

3s for sure. Turn the throttle down until they can handle the power and then turn it up, if you don't know these trucks come with 50%, 75%, and 100% throttle settings on the remote. You will get used to the 3s power fast and be able to enjoy it. Yes the Granite will wheelie but that's up to the driver to control it, which again you/the kids will get used to and learn how to control it.

Its not the problem with slowing the trucks down, I know I can do that, its the initial cost outlay for 2 or 3 3s trucks.

The thing is I know we will get there eventually anyway and honesty even if he decides it wasn't his thing selling a 3s granite may be easier then selling something like a voltage, its still a lot of upfront money to spend though.

so I guess the real ask is can I turn a voltage into a relatively fun truck, that is at least somewhat drivable for less than the cost of a Granite Mega? Im not sure I see a way to do it

Last edited:
So I have a 5 year old that's interested in RCing and I am too for the most part. The initial plan was to get a decent truck for myself, leaning towards a Big Rock, that he could bash around with a bit too and then maybe pick up a Granite Voltage or two for him, and his 4 year old brother, to mess with and learn. The thing is I feel like the Voltage is really limited and he may get bored with it quickly, especially with me ripping around with something like the bigrock.

So if we try to upgrade it basically everything needs to be replaced right? So now I feel like I'm getting towards the price of a Mega if I do that and you get everything that comes with that, 4x4, better chassis, easier upgrade path but also a fair bit more money.

So the real question here is there a relatively cheap way to upgrade the Voltage to at least a decently fast truck and not completely overwhelm the chassis because most of the videos Ive seen appear to be putting very high powered brushless motors in them and turn them into basically undrivable wheelie machines. I like the idea of putting a brushless setup in one but I would line something thats still relatively drivable afterwards too.
Last year Amazon had the voltage on sale on Prime Day for like $69 if I remember correctly. At that price, it can't hurt.

I started with a voltage trucks for my kid and me. I'd actually say they're plenty fast for a kid but the electronics weren't reliable. Broken trucks and waiting for parts is frustrating for kids.

Then I got him a granite mega. It was actually pretty reliable and tough. I geared down (smaller pinion) and got fans, and didn't have any of the motor issues mentioned above. But it didn't take long before we wanted more speed.

Now that mega is brushless and fast. All in, I've spent far more than I would've by just starting with a 3S granite. Lesson learned.

Last year Amazon had the voltage on sale on Prime Day for like $69 if I remember correctly. At that price, it can't hurt.

Thats what I was thinking too, get a big rock now and then get a voltage or two on prime day for them to putz around with.

I started with a voltage trucks for my kid and me. I'd actually say they're plenty fast for a kid but the electronics weren't reliable. Broken trucks and waiting for parts is frustrating for kids.

Then I got him a granite mega. It was actually pretty reliable and tough. I geared down (smaller pinion) and got fans, and didn't have any of the motor issues mentioned above. But it didn't take long before we wanted more speed.

Now that mega is brushless and fast. All in, I've spent far more than I would've by just starting with a 3S granite. Lesson learned.

Yeah thats the progression I am sure we would follow too, its just two trucks, plus 2 extra batteries at least, so its going from being all in for about 450 with one truck to 800 ish for 2..its just a lot of money at the start even if it does save money over the long run.

Thats what I was thinking too, get a big rock now and then get a voltage or two on prime day for them to putz around with.

Yeah thats the progression I am sure we would follow too, its just two trucks, plus 2 extra batteries at least, so its going from being all in for about 450 with one truck to 800 ish for 2..its just a lot of money at the start even if it does save money over the long run.
Yeah it is a lot, but with the high chance that you will fall in love like all of us on here then you will kick yourself in the butt in the end. I have seen many people say the same thing as @dure0016 when it came to upgrading from the slower trucks. Alternatively you could start with a granite 3s by itself and see how it is for you and the kids and then make a decision on the big rock or a voltage

I'd say get him a bigrock or a senton 3s. The trucks are made for 3s, so they will be very strong on 2s and you won't need to upgrade when you want more power. I'd say it's definitly worth the extra money.

There is a throttle limiter on the remote, and you can run 2s and 3s batteries. He could start with 2s, 50%, and work his way up from there.

I'd say get him a bigrock or a senton 3s. The trucks are made for 3s, so they will be very strong on 2s and you won't need to upgrade when you want more power. I'd say it's definitly worth the extra money.

There is a throttle limiter on the remote, and you can run 2s and 3s batteries. He could start with 2s, 50%, and work his way up from there.

I was actually planning on getting a rig rock for myself because from what I read its excellent and the longer wheelbase makes it easier to drive. The senton is interesting but I want something that will be as flexible as possible and will work in high grass so the ground clearance of the granite or big rock is more what I think we need.

What about the vorteks? The only issue with what that is again the ground clearance so I was looking into lifting it but thats basically turning it into a granite

So the next question....2 big rocks or a big rock and a granite? I think maybe one of each....

The Vorteks is great, but it is not as versatile as the BR or Granite.

Getting a Big Rock and a Granite would be more fun since they offer a different driving experience.
Getting two Granite would make sense if you want to simplify the spare parts management.

Like you said, the youngster's will get bored with the Voltage fast especially with you ripping around the BR. The Mega same thing. Upgrading the Mega to brushless is a expensive mistake. 3S blx is the way to go, but don't know your budget especially buying 3 trucks.

Every person on here that purchased the Mega wished they would have bought the Granite blx or other 3s truck.
With that said, don't know what to tell you to buy, it's your choice.

I have three voltages, a granite mega I’m upgrading to 3s and just got a Vorteks.

I love the voltages. I got one for my wife my eight-year-old stepdaughter and then Amazon gave us a free one for some reason so i’m playing with that one. I’ve upgraded one to brushless, upgraded one to a better brushed system and the third I’m upgrading to brushless and turning into a pink jeep for my stepdaughter.

Here’s my Experience upgrading two of the voltages, one to a brushless system and one to a good brushed system. I spent 40 bucks on the brushed system and 42 bucks on the brushless systems. I dropped another $24 on ZD shocks, which Jacked up the front and dropped the back a little bit and drives so much better now. I grabbed a couple of 3s transmitters off of Jenny’s RC’s at $23 each, An Arrma receiver box for $9 since I got rid of the three in one SRS unit that comes with the voltage. I upgraded the steering servo to a 20 kg one at $16 and then added a Kimbrough 124 servo saver for eight bucks. And then I got extra parts (spur gear, front wheel assemblies mainly). Spur gear wears out and front c-clamps break with high speed vs stationary object ‘clips’.. I think I’ve got about 80 or so bucks on both voltages and they are a blast. They were fun as they came out of the box but not near as much fun as they are now. I did not bother upgrading any of the plastic gears. The interior ones are buried in the chassis and are solid. The spur cost like five bucks only. Integy has full metal gear set ups for these cars at 100 bucks which is kind of silly so no thanks. It’s all in the below thread.

Thread 'Voltage 2WD brushless conversion, Velo’s learning curve build.'
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...conversion-velo’s-learning-curve-build.39035/

I love my mega 4 x 4 Granite. It got me into this hobby and it’s blue, My favorite color, And was all I was willing to spend because I didn’t know how much fun this is and if I would become hooked as I am. Once hooked I knew I was going to need more speed and want to jump higher, so I have collected the parts and will be upgrading it to 3s soon. This is not cost smart. It’s cheaper to buy a 3s off the rack. But it’s fun!! I am enjoying the learning experience because I knew very little about this hobby 6 months ago and now I know… a good bit more than a little 🤣

What I do for my kids (Seven year old granddaughter, eight-year-old stepdaughter, several 7 through 10-year-old niecees…) is I start them off on $90 Amazon cars, Holyton or deeRC 4x4s. When/if they move on to something better, I keep the cheap cars around because one is for my dog to chew on and Chase, and the other we take with us when we go out to the park to drive our cars. That way when a little kid asks if they can try driving one, instead of telling them ‘no!’ I can hand em an Amazon car that I’m not worried about. Which makes most little kids very happy.

However you go about this, it’s a great hobby and it’s even greater when it’s done with your family. Go to it man! Have a blast!

I know money is often a consideration, but the old adage applies here: "Buy once, cry once". There are ways to spread out the pain if you decide to buy the vehicles you actually want: Amain Hobbies and other vendors accept Affirm, which spreads out the purchase price over 12 payments with no interest. You can apply for Affirm right on the Amain web page, and get an answer within a couple of minutes. You always have the option to pay it off early.

That’s why I dropped $220 on a mega to see if I liked it. And after I got the mega my wife had the Amazon car and got jealous so I got her the $100 voltage to see if she liked it. She loved it and I got seriously into it so gave the Amazon car to the dog and went nuts.

$320 pre-tax initial investment as both mega and voltage come with NiMH battery’s and lame crappy awful chargers. Which is enough to see if your kids are interested and to see if you want more. Nothing need be wasted. Even if you don’t upgrade the mega it shares most of the parts with the 3s BLX whatever for when you get one. Or you may have one kid that prefers to go slow so give em the mega and Get the other kid a voltage because their goofy zippy, or a 3s something if they are real into it. And if you have a kid that wants to learn how to work on one the voltage is super easy and simple also.

Be careful not to do the analysis until paralysis thing though. If you’re remaining unsure…get frustrated…just sleep on it.

If you must get an Arrma, then I would also say just get a 3s. But $320 is expensive for a 5 year old. Plus you also have to get lipo batteries and a charger, which will put you near $450. Then of course a 5 year will break stuff. If you're new to the hobby you should be warned, repairs, maintenance and upgrades can get very expensive. I've probably spent over $1000 on my Granite 3s.

There are much more inexpensive, smaller (1/16, 1/18 scale) RC's from other companies that come with batteries and charger for around $100. Since they're so light the better ones resist breaking pretty well. You should still get one that has replacement parts available. That's what I would get my 5 year old (if I had one). I'm actually considering getting an HBX 16889 for myself.

It also depends on your kid. I've seen videos with kids that have great throttle control, but many know only one thing, full throttle until it rolls over.

Last edited:
I know I might get flamed for this, but I would go with a 2wd brushed slash, the brushed electronics are fine and the body takes a lot of the impact from crashes. For a 5 year old I think it would work well. Just my .02

If you must get an Arrma, then I would also say just get a 3s. But $320 is expensive for a 5 year old. Plus you also have to get lipo batteries and a charger, which will put you near $450. Then of course a 5 year will break stuff. If you're new to the hobby you should be warned, repairs, maintenance and upgrades can get very expensive. I've probably spent over $1000 on my Granite 3s.

There are much more inexpensive, smaller (1/16, 1/18 scale) RC's from other companies that come with batteries and charger for around $100. Since they're so light the better ones resist breaking pretty well. You should still get one that has replacement parts available. That's what I would get my 5 year old (if I had one). I'm actually considering getting an HBX 16889 for myself.
Kids that age quickly realize that their toy is inferior to yours. They may lose interest if their car is half the size of dad’s.

Kids that age quickly realize that their toy is inferior to yours. They may lose interest if their car is half the size of dad’s.
I can see that with older kids hitting say 9-10 up. I thought the kids going to be happy with anything as long as it goes and he can be there with dad. They’ll be plenty of time to determine if he is in for the hobby.

Don’t forget to get the kid a bicycle! Every kid should have a bike by the time they hit three.

It also depends on your kid. I've seen videos with kids that have great throttle control, but many know only one thing, full throttle until it rolls over.
I so agree with this!

My step daughter started out like that when she was seven. Pull the trigger scream until the car hits some thing and then screams and laugh some more. Now she’s flying drones and getting good at it. I’m King Kong Kitty and she dive bombs me while I flail like a madman. Its great.

She’s learned over the last year to be good at driving her a little orange jeep, 1/16th scale, 60 bucks on Amazon. She destroyed her first 1/16th scale Amazon car in a month. But I got the five dollar insurance on it so no loss cept 5 bucks. Now she drives pretty well.

We’re rebuilding a voltage together this summer, going easy 2s Brushless and doing a pink jeep Rubicon body. Got a small fast little boat too. She’s also ready for a better drone. Since she loves RC…now I’m OK with spending the money on it.

Last edited:

I know it’s this way for some people, maybe most. But my mega granite is going strong five+ months now. And I run and beat it pretty hard because I’m learning to jump. Once I finish building it up to a 3s jumping machine (Flying Blueberry) I will have 500-600+ bucks in it including purchase cost…but it’ll be exactly customed to how I want it. And Ill know it inside out. And it’s blue. I love blue.

For over 5 months It’s been a fantastic car, very capable, dependable and I’m glad I got it. Only issue was the ESC which HH warranted within a week.

I wouldn’t have dropped 300+ bucks before I knew how good this hobby was for me. The mega was a perfect start for me. Just me…cause all else hate the mega line 🤣😂

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back