Minnesota Is Minnesota an RC desert?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of these weekends I’m going to make it up there. I planned to go last weekend until I remembered my wife switched from 12 hour shifts to 8s. This weekend I’m a bit busy with her trying to push out a baby. She may get mad if I were to disappear for 4-6 hours tomorrow.

One of these weekends I’m going to make it up there. I planned to go last weekend until I remembered my wife switched from 12 hour shifts to 8s. This weekend I’m a bit busy with her trying to push out a baby. She may get mad if I were to disappear for 4-6 hours tomorrow.
Take care of the family this definitely isnt going to be the last one and for sure don't want to make the Pregnant Wife Mad lol.

Bash at the Eagan skate park tomorrow 2:00pm. Looks like someones bring a death ramp, also tomorrow I'll be posting in What did you break today 🤣

Death Ramp
299777185_10226905381773518_3295617893450613045_n.jpg

Cool, I've been away for a while - look forward to checking out the Eagan track! Is there a work group or something that maintains it?

Cool, I've been away for a while - look forward to checking out the Eagan track! Is there a work group or something that maintains it?
No real group, the people that use it clean it up as they go. There is a large fakebook group (Mn rc offroad) that meets up that does some track maintenance.

Group picture (not mine) from one of the meet ups
1666650179178.png

I've been thinking about building a track for a while, but just haven't had the time. But, good things are happening and I expect to finally have some free time to get this going.

I started thinking about what I want this weekend and decided on a SCT-style oval course, a bashing area inside it, and a crawler course. Very rough idea:

thetrack.jpg

I don't have much demo to do. More or less just need a dump truck or two of dirt, lumber and some elbow grease/hydraulic fluid. Seems straight forward, but Famous Last Words.

I'm looking for ideas for Interesting features in the bashing area, something more than just jumps. Or just any good ideas really . . .

Mark this day on your calendar, I had two thoughts.

For the SCT oval, removable rattle board sections and a u-bend with a jump so you can risk the jump shortcut or play it safe and drive around the bend. Maybe a water feature between the jumps to up the ante.

The Ice track at Lilydale is open, Remember to try and bring a shovel and clean it off after using it.
For more info see facebook

MN R/C rally, rallycross and ice racers

Picture by Colin Tierney MN R/C rally, rallycross and ice racers Admin
1672631840481.png

Did they decide on a specific vehicle class yet, other than open class? I thought last year they were running a trx slash class?
I'll post a question in the group and find out.
@Hammer Down

Per Colin: Run anything you want. I've run a yeti, 4tec and slash. You'll definitely want 4wd .

Last edited:
I'll bring out the Infraction, lol!
There was a guy with one and he was kill’n it! That’s where I got the idea for my new ice hoons. He actually did it first. 👍
I think he was using a gyro too.
Per Colin: Run anything you want. I've run a yeti, 4tec and slash. You'll definitely want 4wd .

I remember him telling me that too, but I thought they had a group guys or class of the same kind of rig to keep things fair for at least one race..? I love the open class but it’s crazy with all the different cars, motor sizes and cell counts. Not that I’m super competitive but it would be cool to have a standard class.

Last edited:
There was a guy with one and he was kill’n it! That’s where I got the idea for my new ice hoons. He actually did it first. 👍

I remember him telling me that too, but I thought they had a group guys or class of the same kind of rig to keep things fair for at least one race..? I love the open class but it’s crazy with all the different cars, motor sizes and cell counts. Not that I’m super competitive but it would be cool to have a standard class.
I'll make another post to see if they can get a real class set up, most likely be a 4x4 Slash of some sort or at least a short course 3s class.

What did you do for the ice hoons?
It’s pretty simple, just take some old hoons (new if you don’t have old) drill holes thru the tire and rim. Then add some sheet metal screws from the inside out. I used a 1/4 ratchet to drive them in. Here’s a couple of pics.

41E78551-FE3F-448C-A518-226B49E4E19B.jpeg
F3FD6B0F-9231-4612-AAA7-FCB9D60E3CFF.jpeg
D6040A31-A558-45B1-9F5F-CF5BD2B5C6E7.jpeg

Now that I think about it, I ran them from the outside in first after drilling them to make it easier to install from the inside out.

Colin Tierney
Admin
Glenn Dutcher not really at this point. If we get enough people out there, we can definitely toss some races together with similar spec trucks. I'm all for setting up the infractions to race each other to see who is fastest and the set as well as the run what ya brung. The big motor/battery guys aren't always faster. Has some 6s sentons out there but seems like most dropped down to 3s.

3s seems to be the go to for ice racing. Colin Tierney and I had some good races on 3s slashes

Grab yourself a 3s SCT and lets race!

@Dutch. This sounds fun AF. I'm not on Facebook. Specific date and time? Could I run the Granite or Typhon? My mind immediately went to sheet metal screws. Lol.

Back in my cycle racing days on ice, we'd put sheet metal screws into the lugs of the dirt bike tires. Just the heads were showing. Then they got crazy and turned them around. I stopped because the protective gear was more than the bike. Not to mention the blood loss. Lol.

Pretty sure I could come up with something that would work. With enough notice.

Address for the track is

800 West Water St
St. Paul MN 55107

People are down there almost every Sat and Sun.

Back