Is my ESC Killing my Batteries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mlenn

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Any Electrical experts out there? I've been running a Hobbywing Max 8 Combo with 2200kv motor for a while in my Mojave EXB without any problems.
I recently took the plunge and resoldered the connections on ESC and all my betteries to EC5's. Not the best at Soldering but all joints 'look' good.
The next run out I ran 2x2S followed by 2x3S - no problems or so I thought, all ran fine - but on putting the batteries into storage I found one of the 2S and one of the 3S were way out of balance with one cell on each at about 2.5 volts.
Any Ideas what could cause this? Batteries are 2S - 5000mah 40C and 3S - 4500mah 55C, so should be providing plenty of Amps?
I also switched to a new TX - Absima cr3p - which seemed to have the throttle endpoint set at 120% -could that have caused it?
Need to buy new batteries now but don't want to run them untill this is sorted. Could always be coincidence but I doubt it !!

Balance all of your batteries and store them till you go out bashing. When they are in storage plug them into your charger every day to make sure they hold the charge fine. Reset your endpoints and calibrate your ESC. What brand batteries are they?

What brand of battery?
2s are zop but the 3s are overlander sport
Balance all of your batteries and store them till you go out bashing. When they are in storage plug them into your charger every day to make sure they hold the charge fine. Reset your endpoints and calibrate your ESC. What brand batteries are they?
2s - Zop. 3s - overlander sport

Last edited:
2s are zop but the 3s are overlander sport

2s - Zop. 3s - overlander sport

Will try that - cheers. I always balance charge and put into storage anyway. I'm tempted to re solder but am I wasting my time - does a solder joint either work or not, or is there a halfway house that could be causing issues?

Zop have a bad reputation for this exact reason. Commonly have dropped cells. I don’t think anything else you mentioned is obviously the issue. What charger do you have? What charge cycle are you using? What rate are you charging at? These are likely much more important.

Zop have a bad reputation for this exact reason. Commonly have dropped cells. I don’t think anything else you mentioned is obviously the issue. What charger do you have? What charge cycle are you using? What rate are you charging at? These are likely much more important.
Yes I know zop aren't the best. Charger is the Overlander RC6-VSR, I always balance charge at 1c and always put into storage when not in use

Yes I know zop aren't the best. Charger is the Overlander RC6-VSR, I always balance charge at 1c and always put into storage when not in use
Sounds like you just got some unlucky packs then. 🤷🏻‍♂️✌🏻

Any Electrical experts out there? I've been running a Hobbywing Max 8 Combo with 2200kv motor for a while in my Mojave EXB without any problems.
I recently took the plunge and resoldered the connections on ESC and all my betteries to EC5's. Not the best at Soldering but all joints 'look' good.
The next run out I ran 2x2S followed by 2x3S - no problems or so I thought, all ran fine - but on putting the batteries into storage I found one of the 2S and one of the 3S were way out of balance with one cell on each at about 2.5 volts.
Any Ideas what could cause this? Batteries are 2S - 5000mah 40C and 3S - 4500mah 55C, so should be providing plenty of Amps?
I also switched to a new TX - Absima cr3p - which seemed to have the throttle endpoint set at 120% -could that have caused it?
Need to buy new batteries now but don't want to run them untill this is sorted. Could always be coincidence but I doubt it !!
You clearly asking for help but people RECOMMEND another battery HOPING it fix your PROBLEM.....
Let's figure out your PROBLEM first
The numbers MEAN something........Quick math
2s 5000mah 40C
To get the amps
5 multiply 40
200 amps
200x2= 400 amps max most batteries should double the output
3s 4500mah 55c
4.5x55= 247.5 AMPS
247.5 X2 495 AMPS

ESC MAX8
120 Amps normal
950 amps BURST
2s batteries you have can only handle 400 AMPS
Parallel 400x2 800 amps
3s can only handle 495 AMPS
Parallel 495x2 990 AMPS
you LUCKY you didn't catch FIRE
The battery will always LOSE.....no matter the NAME BRAND they all LIE +-10%
The math stay the same, that's how you start to figure out whose lying or not...
do the math first......purchase after
hope this help you.... Yes your ESC killing your batteries ....and that is how and why....
lol they blame the batteries...... I blame the builder for not doing or knowing how to do the NUMBERS ....... how was you calculating your builds before?
Wonder why some SPEEDRUNNERS push the car first than THROTTLE(they did the math) they understand they BATTERIES can't take the Initial hit(get the car rolling) so they ASSIST batteries so it don't PULL as many AMPS
****GEARING UP mean MORE AMPS ..... AMPS burn things up🔥********

Last edited:
You clearly asking for help but people RECOMMEND another battery HOPING it fix your PROBLEM.....
Let's figure out your PROBLEM first
The numbers MEAN something........Quick math
2s 5000mah 40C
To get the amps
5 multiply 40
200 amps
200x2= 400 amps max most batteries should double the output
3s 4500mah 55c
4.5x55= 247.5 AMPS
247.5 X2 495 AMPS

ESC MAX8
120 Amps normal
950 amps BURST
2s batteries you have can only handle 400 AMPS
Parallel 400x2 800 amps
3s can only handle 495 AMPS
Parallel 495x2 990 AMPS
you LUCKY you didn't catch FIRE
The battery will always LOSE.....no matter the NAME BRAND they all LIE +-10%
The math stay the same, that's how you start to figure out whose lying or not...
do the math first......purchase after
hope this help you.... Yes your ESC killing your batteries ....and that is how and why....
lol they blame the batteries...... I blame the builder for not doing or knowing how to do the NUMBERS ....... how was you calculating your builds before?
Wonder why some SPEEDRUNNERS push the car first than THROTTLE(they did the math) they understand they BATTERIES can't take the Initial hit(get the car rolling) so they ASSIST batteries so it don't PULL as many AMPS
****GEARING UP mean MORE AMPS ..... AMPS burn things up🔥********
Lol

Max8 is factory limited well under 400A, let alone getting to double that. You sure do go around spewing misinformation all over the place.

Have you check they website?
Or you FOLLOWING what others say
So battery manufacturers can lie but ESC manufacturers can't? Website lists max amp throughput as configured from factory, but XT90 connectors will desolder before even 400A. C'mon man, drop the double standard. You can't pick and choose specs to believe from the mfg because it is convenient for you.

So battery manufacturers can lie but ESC manufacturers can't? Website lists max amp throughput as configured from factory, but XT90 connectors will desolder before even 400A. C'mon man, drop the double standard. You can't pick and choose specs to believe from the mfg because it is convenient for you.
Are you a fool not at BURST YES AT CONTINUOUS but not at BURST

Correct, the will not handle 950A burst. XT90s won't handle 400A burst.
So no link to your INFO they can check the website....but go off your WORD
Lmao I follow NUMBERS they tell you whose lying ....the math don't change cause someone LIE.... THE MATH prove if they LYING or not
(Auto Tech ASE CERTIFIED) you say you doing 400hp
Let the DYNO do the NUMBERS
We look at the DYNO
So the DYNO proves WHOSE lying.

Last edited:
What's the math to prove whose lying or not?
You throwing around numbers with no math?
Common sense. It has been proven multiple times high quality 8ga connectors desolder around 600A, there is no way 10ga connectors can push 50% current through a smaller contact point.

@Mlenn to confirm what others said, it is likely the poor packs. Also, depending on how the weather has been around you, storage temperature or running temp may be too high, causing thermal failure in the cells.

Common sense. It has been proven multiple times high quality 8ga connectors desolder around 600A, there is no way 10ga connectors can push 50% current through a smaller contact point.

@Mlenn to confirm what others said, it is likely the poor packs. Also, depending on how the weather has been around you, storage temperature or running temp may be too high, causing thermal failure in the cells.
You FOLLOW too? You listen to what others say....... we are not the SAME...... I PROVE what I talk .....Where the LEADERS at
You telling me that MAN EXPERIENCE and passing it off as your OWN...
Show me the numbers

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back