Is my lipo damaged?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smint

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
My 3s lipo came loose in my granite and the centre shaft grinded the corner of the battery slightly. I'm not sure if it's just superficial damage or should I stop using it to be safe?
20200309_194459.jpg
20200309_194434.jpg
20200309_194420.jpg

Honestly, it’s hard to tell how deep that is from the pic but if it were me it would wrap the pack with electrical tape and keep using it. If it didn’t go up in flames before you caught it then I think it’s good. Just keep an eye on it and put some protection on it.

Seems deep. At a minimum it's compromised and it's deeper than the protective plastic, I see something green and that is beyond the protection barrier.
Why risk it?
That is beyond my comfort level.

I had one have that sort of thing happen (V2 Kraton grinded the spur against it). Went to charge it and it started to smoke and spark in my house. Through it in an ammo box, filled it with water, set out in the middle of the yard over night (It was after midnight). When I opened it the next morning, its spewed water like a soda being shook up and opened. I'm guessing it caught fire in the can at some point. I would get rid of it. It's not worth the risk.

Seems like it penetrated the lipo to me i would not risk it if the lipo randomly shorts you can almost ssy goodbye to your granite because when a lipo shorts it shorts hard and exploded like a bomb a 3s hrb is like 50$ cad i think
If you are comftable you could remove the bad cell and convert it into a 2s lipo if you know how soldering and therminals work. I did that for my 3s and 4s lipo who went bad because of defectives cells out of the box they respectivly became 2s and 3s lipos

I had one have that sort of thing happen (V2 Kraton grinded the spur against it). Went to charge it and it started to smoke and spark in my house. Through it in an ammo box, filled it with water, set out in the middle of the yard over night (It was after midnight). When I opened it the next morning, its spewed water like a soda being shook up and opened. I'm guessing it caught fire in the can at some point. I would get rid of it. It's not worth the risk.
You want to check the chemical reaction between lithium and water. Not a good idea.

You want to check the chemical reaction between lithium and water. Not a good idea.
I had been drinking all afternoon while hosting a cookout. Best I could do at the time. I know what you mean though.

Looks nasty to me, at least the first photo. I for one wouldn’t risk a way more expensive accident i.e lipo fire burning something down to save a few bucks on a new lipo.

Zop-powers on Banggood go for ridiculous low prices, sometimes especially if you get the xt60 ones and just get a ic5 to xt60 plug with it.

Better safe than sorry if you ask me mate.

Not worth burning down a $300 Granite or your home.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back