Is my motor shot???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 3s
Hey guys! Having a little issue with my V3 Senton BLX. Hooked up the battery the other day to give it a few passes past the kids on their bikes. Drove it out of the garage and down the road 100yrds and it stopped. I thought maybe I grabbed the wrong battery. So I checked the voltage and it was full. Turned the ESC off then back on once the fans stopped. All it would do its chatter like it wanted to go but couldn't. Gave it a push and it tried for a sec. Then nothing. No lights on the ESC except red when throttle is pulled. It will chatter a couple times after restart but then nothing again. What's your thoughts? Motor? ESC? Thanks for any help in advance!!! Have a great day!!!

Hey guys! Having a little issue with my V3 Senton BLX. Hooked up the battery the other day to give it a few passes past the kids on their bikes. Drove it out of the garage and down the road 100yrds and it stopped. I thought maybe I grabbed the wrong battery. So I checked the voltage and it was full. Turned the ESC off then back on once the fans stopped. All it would do its chatter like it wanted to go but couldn't. Gave it a push and it tried for a sec. Then nothing. No lights on the ESC except red when throttle is pulled. It will chatter a couple times after restart but then nothing again. What's your thoughts? Motor? ESC? Thanks for any help in advance!!! Have a great day!!!
Sounds like it’s binding in the drivetrain somewhere, and when you give it gas more then a few times the esc shuts down…a safety mode in case it’s stuck and you’re still trying to accelerate.

Any steering?
Steering working perfectly
Check the motor bearings.. very possible the end bearing came apart.. or something is bound in the drive line...
It's only had about 8 packs through it. You think the bearings could be gone already?
Sounds like it’s binding in the drivetrain somewhere, and when you give it gas more then a few times the esc shuts down…a safety mode in case it’s stuck and you’re still trying to accelerate.
That's what I was thinking but there is no resistance. You can easily spin the driveshaft and make the tires and motor move.

It's only had about 8 packs through it. You think the bearings could be gone already?

That's what I was thinking but there is no resistance. You can easily spin the driveshaft and make the tires and motor move.
Long story short yes it is highly likely that the bearings are already shot, I have 2 3s Arrma vehicles and not one of the motors lasted more than a few packs. Replace the bearings in the motor with either the Jim's motor bearing kit https://jimsbearings.com/collections/arrma-motor/products/arrma-blx100-3200kv-motor-bearings
Or you can use TRBRC hybrid ceramic motor bearings https://www.ebay.com/itm/185108800506?epid=15027195203&hash=item2b195823fa:g:41oAAOSw0XRhaecc
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185108804984?epid=25022450825&hash=item2b19583578:g:4agAAOSw2KlhaeiE

Now for as to why they failed. The power module design is flawed, it isn't sealed and there is not any way for any of the dirt to get back out and it all goes right into the bearings and ruins them.

Have you pulled the driveshaft and then see how the motor reacts on acceleration With just a rear wheel power? Or even pull the entire power module and see if the motor still operates when it’s free and clear. I think that’s what I would do, pull the motor and see what it does under power when it’s not connected to the drivetrain.

All 3 motor wires are hooked up? None of them melted at the solder joint?..

Yes, bearing failure would be no surprise, even with only 8 packs..

Long story short yes it is highly likely that the bearings are already shot, I have 2 3s Arrma vehicles and not one of the motors lasted more than a few packs. Replace the bearings in the motor with either the Jim's motor bearing kit https://jimsbearings.com/collections/arrma-motor/products/arrma-blx100-3200kv-motor-bearings
Or you can use TRBRC hybrid ceramic motor bearings https://www.ebay.com/itm/185108800506?epid=15027195203&hash=item2b195823fa:g:41oAAOSw0XRhaecc
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185108804984?epid=25022450825&hash=item2b19583578:g:4agAAOSw2KlhaeiE

Now for as to why they failed. The power module design is flawed, it isn't sealed and there is not any way for any of the dirt to get back out and it all goes right into the bearings and ruins them.

Have you pulled the driveshaft and then see how the motor reacts on acceleration With just a rear wheel power? Or even pull the entire power module and see if the motor still operates when it’s free and clear. I think that’s what I would do, pull the motor and see what it does under power when it’s not connected to the drivetrain.

All 3 motor wires are hooked up? None of them melted at the solder joint?..

Yes, bearing failure would be no surprise, even with only 8 packs..

Ok I pulled the power unit out. Holy hell was there some sand in the bearing area and all the friction points. Was a bear to get it pulled off due to it. Guess I should pop that off after every couple packs and clear it out with air.

The motor is doing the exact same thing. Bearings are dirty but there in no slop in them.

All of the wires are connected. Have felt for loose solder but haven't cut any heat shrink.
E5734D40-DC62-444C-8404-90138B286558.jpeg

Attachments

• FF138094-5C3B-443D-A711-B5E515AD1705.jpeg
    FF138094-5C3B-443D-A711-B5E515AD1705.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 52
You opened the module and checked the motor bearings?.. or are you referring to the bearings in the picture?

If you did, and the motor spins free by hand I would say the motor is still the culprit.. give horizon a shout and have them send you a new motor..

It would be ideal if you have another motor to test on that esc.. But since it does send a start signal I would assume the esc is good.. but you never know...

Open the motor. Get used to doing that. The stocker motor BB's tend to be the culprit. Even a replacement motor will do the same again. If the motor is cleaned and BB's relubed, you may luck out. But if you get a new replacement motor get upgrade BB's installed out the gate. ( Jims Motor Bearings) Lube them with a drop of synthetic oil. Or at least lube the OE BB's for some added insurance. This is a common problem.
Blx motors should last for years if they are maintained and BB's replaced regularly with use. BB's need to be lubed. If you brick the armature due to failed BB's, the motor is junk.

check for play side to side with the rotor. If you have any movement the bearing is close to being shot. 99.99% of the time it is only the front side bearing which is the larger or the two motor bearings. There are a bunch of ways to mitigate this issue just search the threads.

You opened the module and checked the motor bearings?.. or are you referring to the bearings in the picture?

If you did, and the motor spins free by hand I would say the motor is still the culprit.. give horizon a shout and have them send you a new motor..

It would be ideal if you have another motor to test on that esc.. But since it does send a start signal I would assume the esc is good.. but you never know...

Take the power module apart and check the actual motor.

Open the motor. Get used to doing that. The stocker motor BB's tend to be the culprit. Even a replacement motor will do the same again. If the motor is cleaned and BB's relubed, you may luck out. But if you get a new replacement motor get upgrade BB's installed out the gate. ( Jims Motor Bearings) Lube them with a drop of synthetic oil. Or at least lube the OE BB's for some added insurance. This is a common problem.
Blx motors should last for years if they are maintained and BB's replaced regularly with use. BB's need to be lubed. If you brick the armature due to failed BB's, the motor is junk.

I opened up the power module and took out the spur. Motor has absolutely no slop in the bearing. Powered it up with the motor being free and it works just fine. Reinstalled the spur and cover..... Working fine. There was a bit of dust inside but nothing too serious. I installed a piece of Velcro (loop side) around the opening where the spur is when I first got my Senton. Seams to have helped keep allot out of there. Going to put it back together and see what happens. I'll let you guys know
F8D3D8B6-C1FD-4418-B9CA-D5B9EBF13FFF.jpeg
E67C36ED-3DE1-4193-BFF3-A3F33CEA38C4.jpeg

Take the power module apart and check the actual motor.

I opened up the power module and took out the spur. Motor has absolutely no slop in the bearing. Powered it up with the motor being free and it works just fine. Reinstalled the spur and cover..... Working fine. There was a bit of dust inside but nothing too serious. I installed a piece of Velcro (loop side) around the opening where the spur is when I first got my Senton. Seams to have helped keep allot out of there. Going to put it back together and see what happens. I'll let you guys knowView attachment 174652
B046F00B-FC62-4E5A-955B-DE491A62BCB5.jpeg

check for play side to side with the rotor. If you have any movement the bearing is close to being shot. 99.99% of the time it is only the front side bearing which is the larger or the two motor bearings. There are a bunch of ways to mitigate this issue just search the threads.
^^^ This.
Even if needing just the one BB, always replace in pairs.:cool:

I opened up the power module and took out the spur. Motor has absolutely no slop in the bearing. Powered it up with the motor being free and it works just fine. Reinstalled the spur and cover..... Working fine. There was a bit of dust inside but nothing too serious. I installed a piece of Velcro (loop side) around the opening where the spur is when I first got my Senton. Seams to have helped keep allot out of there. Going to put it back together and see what happens. I'll let you guys knowView attachment 174652View attachment 174653
Did you open the motor? Clean the BB's and all with an Electrical contact spray, (CRC automotive brand ) and Relube the BB's while you were in there. Do this regularly when you do pull the power module. Need to visibly examine the condition of the armature also.
When you powered the motor while it was out, was it silent and smooth running, little to no vibrations felt?
A motor will run under no load even though the BB's are worn.:cool:
It should just hum and be fairly silent. A properly running motor is very quiet.
I test my BLX motors on my Motor Analyzer. And when I do a Decibel Motor Noise Test, a proper New motor will show below 95db most of the time. Varies by motor brand.
That's my reference. As BB's wear out, Vibration increases, because the armature and BB's don't spin true, so decibels increase, a sign of needing new BB's. Or even the Armature shafts are galled out and worn. Sometimes even New BB's may not help in this case. The armature is now worn. Can still run it this way up to some point. Neglecting maintenance can cause this. Ultimately needing a new motor. New Armatures are not available for most motors.

EDITED.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back