Is Spektrum DX3R A Good Radio ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arrmadillo

Too Fast Too Tough For Roadkill
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Outcast 4s
  6. Outcast 6s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
Does anyone have any experience with this radio. I bought it about 10 years ago and haven't used it. Have several recievers for it also.

Read several years ago someone posted about the recievers for this radio with problems when placing antenna cap over the receiver wire on
20190307_210639.jpg
antenna tube. Don't know the truth to this.

By being at least 10 years old is this radio still relevant or outdated technology.
20190307_210639.jpg
20190307_211313.jpg

I’d throw it in the trash. Went through 3 spektrums and all glitched and crashed very expensive trucks at very high speeds. Someone will tell you that they’re fine, they’re not. They just don’t have the experience. It’s not worth the risk

I’d throw it in the trash. Went through 3 spektrums and all glitched and crashed very expensive trucks at very high speeds. Someone will tell you that they’re fine, they’re not. They just don’t have the experience. It’s not worth the risk
Wow man that's cold. A waste of $300+ I guess.

Appreciate your honest opinion though. Rather eat the cost of the radio and all the recievers than crashing one of high dollar trucks. Especially the Kraton I have not received yet on backorder.

Appreciate your honest opinion though. Rather eat the cost of the radio and all the recievers than crashing one of high dollar trucks. Especially the Kraton I have not received yet on backorder.
Here you know what I feel bad and it seems you spent a lot on it. Do you have any trail trucks? Throw it into something slower and test it. Make sure whatever truck it is has a lot of radio noise (electronics/wires close to the reciever) to make sure it’ll never glitch on you. That was the actual model that I had trouble with in my 121mph slash 4x4 awhile ago, i had so many wrecks because of it. In my experiences of all my radios, the spektrum don’t deal with any radio noise at all and glitch real bad in stuff where other electronics are near the reciever.

Sell it on eBay.

The tactic radios that come with arrma trucks are actually pretty good if you were wondering. Yes it doesn’t have some of the features that your spektrum has but it is definitely ultra reliable and doesn’t give 2 craps about radio noise, I guess it’s basically a tqi without all the program bugs and sophisticated stuff. Meaning you can count on it.

The tactic radios that come with arrma trucks are actually pretty good if you were wondering. Yes it doesn’t have some of the features that your spektrum has but it is definitely ultra reliable and doesn’t give 2 craps about radio noise, I guess it’s basically a tqi without all the program bugs and sophisticated stuff. Meaning you can count on it.
In all fairness I have 3 different Spektrum radios and my only complaint is the DX2E, just everything about it is awful. And I don't even have the current uber cheap all plastic version they have now.

No p
Here you know what I feel bad and it seems you spent a lot on it. Do you have any trail trucks? Throw it into something slower and test it. Make sure whatever truck it is has a lot of radio noise (electronics/wires close to the reciever) to make sure it’ll never glitch on you. That was the actual model that I had trouble with in my 121mph slash 4x4 awhile ago, i had so many wrecks because of it. In my experiences of all my radios, the spektrum don’t deal with any radio noise at all and glitch real bad in stuff where other electronics are near the reciever.
No Peanut I don't have any crawlers, only fast stuff. I heard some negative things with Spektrum here and there thru the years. Bought this radio and 6 recievers but never changed everything over.

After what u told me especially having the same radio with run aways I will never trust it. I will either eat the cost or maby sell it to someone that wants it or willing to take a chance with it. But its not worth it to me to chance with my toys. Seen a few run aways in my time and its never pretty.

Like I said before, I'm appreciative of your honesty because now I know to not ever use this radio.

BTW Recognize your name from another forum.

Yeah I heard the tactics are reliable and thats what really matters. Don't care about all the teckno stuff. I'll keep that in the Kraton and if I feel that I want to upgrade later then I'll have to research. Hear the higher end Futuba's are great.

No p
No Peanut I don't have any crawlers, only fast stuff. I heard some negative things with Spektrum here and there thru the years. Bought this radio and 6 recievers but never changed everything over.

After what u told me especially having the same radio with run aways I will never trust it. I will either eat the cost or maby sell it to someone that wants it or willing to take a chance with it. But its not worth it to me to chance with my toys. Seen a few run aways in my time and its never pretty.

Like I said before, I'm appreciative of your honesty because now I know to not ever use this radio.

BTW Recognize your name from another forum.
Yeah I heard the tactics are reliable and thats what really matters. Don't care about all the teckno stuff. I'll keep that in the Kraton and if I feel that I want to upgrade later then I'll have to research. Hear the higher end Futuba's are great.
Well hello from that other forum lol!

I agree 100% on the radio thing. Reliability is really the main concern and the techy stuff isn’t as important. Futaba does make great units, that’s actually what I ended up replacing my spektrum with. No issues or latency and no runaways or cutouts. Also range was GREAT.

Keep in mind spektrum does make better radios nowdays as slick said, he’s had some good ones.

Well hello from that other forum lol!

I agree 100% on the radio thing. Reliability is really the main concern and the techy stuff isn’t as important. Futaba does make great units, that’s actually what I ended up replacing my spektrum with. No issues or latency and no runaways or cutouts. Also range was GREAT

Keep in mind spektrum does make better radios nowdays as slick said, he’s had some good ones.
Yeah for sure I will check Futuba out when I make up my mind to park some of these RTR radios.

Yeah for sure I will check Futuba out when I make up my mind to park some of these RTR radios.
I always hear good things about the 3PV.

I have an old Spektrum DX3 with the older DSM tech. I used it with my Granite and my nitro trucks with no issues. I love the feel of it and I still have it, but I can't get receivers for it any more (at least from Spektrum). That may also be the case with yours as well. One thing I can say is that my 11 year old DX3 is lightyears better than the stock tactic radio. Better built and way more programmable. I bought a DX5C and while it has a lot of program options, it feels really cheap compared to my DX3...lighter and flimsier. Anyway, the money you spent on your is long gone. I would try to eBay it like Slick suggested. Anything you get is a bonus.

I know someone who has a 4. No complains from them.
Yeah that one too. Every time I see someone recommend a Futaba it's either the 3PV or the 4PV.

Is that the DX3 or the DX3.0? I have a DX2.0 and need to do the 3.0 hack to it and find a new antenna.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back