Is the Baja 5B as much fun as it looks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dure16

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon TLR
The idea of a 1/5 scale 2wd buggy sounds exciting, but I’ve never driven one so I’m hesitant to spend the cash. I would go electric if I did.

Who has one? Do you love it? Pros/cons?

I had a 5b when they first came out, but gas, as electric was not yet available. I will say this...there is a learning curve going from 4 wheel drive to 2wd. The other way is easy...lol. it will not be a basher per say, like the kraton or outcast. If your not driving on a track, I suppose 2w vrs 4w won't matter. Understand that parts will be more expensive. Maybe the electric version is more fun, certainly faster than gas. Hopefully others chime in with electric version.

My friend has a 5b with a pipe, I hated it when he showed up with it. It would literally give me a headache with it's obnoxious noise. It would run forever hogging our space and would kill our trucks when he hit one of us.

I have a Rovan Baja. They aren't for me tbh, I barely use it. It is loud and I have more fun with other stuff.

But my mate who comes and plays with my toys absolutely loves it and it's his favourite of my cars. Different strokes or different folks

If you’re asking why I’m interested in 2WD, it’s just for a different driving experience. Something unique. Most of my cars are 4WD.

I'm just wondering in general if that's primarily why 2WD exists in this class of vehicle.

I’ve only experienced 1/5 petrol, and recently getting the Mojave which isn’t currently running… but 1/5 parts are a lot more expensive, 2 stroke engines take a bit of tuning to get going correctly, defiantly need a kill switch to prevent runaways. But 2wd was what drew me in being able to feather the throttle to rotate the car into a slide instead of using brakes, I’d defiantly have another no doubt about it.

In terms of working on them looks like the Mojave is easier to work on, few pitfalls of the 5b which are easily rectified. Id be wary of “clones” been there done that parts are generally a lot weaker, inferior engine just not worth the hassle. If your to get one defo won’t regret it;)

If you’re asking why I’m interested in 2WD, it’s just for a different driving experience. Something unique. Most of my cars are 4WD.
Oh you will get that ,that's for sure. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: They are fun. I accidentally ran mine into a light pole at full speed , Didn't notice the damage at first .Ran it around for another 5 minutes maybe a little less. Took it over a jump and then it wouldn't turn. :ROFLMAO: That's when the mods started. My 5B started out as a Rovan 5b. Now it's the mongrel it wanted to be all it's life. I don't think there are any Rovan parts left on it.

If you can get an HPI 5B do it. All of the aftermarket parts are designed around the HPI 5b . If you get a Rovan some parts won't fit without Modification. I learned that the hard way . But HPI wasn't making 5B's when I got my 5th scale.

Have fun

The idea of a 1/5 scale 2wd buggy sounds exciting, but I’ve never driven one so I’m hesitant to spend the cash. I would go electric if I did.

Who has one? Do you love it? Pros/cons?
I have a hpi baja 5sc and a losi 5ive 2.0 I also have a losi 1/6 scale super baja rey which is electric. The large scale vehicle that gives me the most enjoyment is the hpi baja 2wd, the 2 losi,s are 4wd, you steer the hpi you drive, hang it sideways, rooster tails, pulling the front wheels just fuking awesome. don't get me wrong, they are all fun to drive.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back