Is the ESC in Vorteks 3S BLX 6.0v BEC only or it also has 7.4v ? manual is misleading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bukshypro

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Typhon TLR
  3. Vorteks
Arrma Vorteks 3S BLX comes with the Spektrum Firma 100A Brushless ESC which is apparently able to do 6.0v or 7.4v BEC. But the Arrma Vorteks manual says only 6.0v in the program settings. Is that wrong ?

I read that some spectrum esc's and I think the vortex was one of the ones mentioned. That after installing the update with the USB link on a laptop that you then could upgrade the bec. It actually would be set to the 7.4v after the install by default so if you were not wanting it at 7.4v you would want to change that back fyi.

I read that some spectrum esc's and I think the vortex was one of the ones mentioned. That after installing the update with the USB link on a laptop that you then could upgrade the bec. It actually would be set to the 7.4v after the install by default so if you were not wanting it at 7.4v you would want to change that back fyi.
heya, thanks for your answer.
I don't have a programming card and to be frank, I am more and more inclined to not touch anything Spektrum from now on :/ I guess there is no other way to check whether its updated or not

heya, thanks for your answer.
I don't have a programming card and to be frank, I am more and more inclined to not touch anything Spektrum from now on :/ I guess there is no other way to check whether its updated or not
Sounds like you may have purchased on older model that had been on the shelf awhile? That doesn’t necessarily make Spektrum electronics bad, I think most people have pretty good luck with them for RTR electronics.
And in you other post you said you were able to successfully program it to 7.4v? I personally wouldn’t worry about whether the ESC had the latest updates if everything works.

Last edited:
It's a typo in the online literature for the escs. The only Firma esc that has an adjustable bec is the Firma 160a all the rest are fixed 6v 3a.

Sounds like you may have purchased on older model that had been on the shelf awhile? That doesn’t necessarily make Spektrum electronics bad, I think most people have pretty good luck with them for RTR electronics.
Oh actually I got that info because everything is there on the box, its a 2021 DEC model, not sure if that counts as old or not.
It's a typo in the online literature for the escs. The only Firma esc that has an adjustable bec is the Firma 160a all the rest are fixed 6v 3a.
you're making me hate Spektrum more and more. It's an absolute shitshow tbh. I wish they'd do XTR versions of Vorteks. I might actually just get a £170 Vorteks boost and change everything out.

Oh actually I got that info because everything is there on the box, its a 2021 DEC model, not sure if that counts as old or not.

you're making me hate Spektrum more and more. It's an absolute shitshow tbh. I wish they'd do XTR versions of Vorteks. I might actually just get a £170 Vorteks boost and change everything out.
Do they sell rollers on eBay in the UK? We can get rollers for like $200-$250.

Do they sell rollers on eBay in the UK? We can get rollers for like $200-$250.
Roller means no electronics in?

We got the Vorteks Boost for like ~£170, but it also lacks other stuff, bot just motor/esc/receiver. The whole electronics, no turnbuckles at all, no wheelie bar. The red and black bodies tho 🤩

Last edited:
thats not correct at all. the ESC in the 6s kraton is programmable between 6v and 7.4. thats the firma 150. i have confirmed this via actually programing the ESC
https://www.arrma-rc.com/on/demandw...w765272c6/Manuals/ARRMA-6SV5-Manual-MULTI.pdf
https://www.arrma-rc.com/en/product-showcase?pid=ARA8608V5
Im not an expert, but I also tried and went through the green and red flashes on my Vorteks w the Firma 100A esc and turned it on 7.4v. and it seems like the servo is faster and stronger. Hope its not a placebo.

It would be a real shame if the Vorteks comes with a crap servo that you cant even replace with high voltage servoa 🤷‍♂️

+1
And the Vorteks ESC is known to be a poor one. With LVC issues. LVC cuts off prematurely.
Many threads here in regards. Spektrum RTR ESC's have light versions of their F/W. Minimal features. The 160amp/8s version is the best example feature wise. BEC Volts is more suitable for Large scale 1/5 servos however.

I swear I just responded to a thread the other day from a guy with the Firma 150a that doesn't have an adjustable bec.
Idk what makes him think his isnt adjustable but if you don't beleive me read in black and white for your self in li ks i posted. The 150 has an adjustable bec

+1
And the Vorteks ESC is known to be a poor one. With LVC issues. LVC cuts off prematurely.
Many threads here in regards. Spektrum RTR ESC's have light versions of their F/W. Minimal features. The 160amp/8s version is the best example feature wise. BEC Volts is more suitable for Large scale 1/5 servos however.
+1? Did you read post 11? Do you have personal experience that says it isnt?

So if the ESC is only 6.0v and we ve been sold as it is 6.0v and 7.4v than we ve been missold and can give it back, isnt it? Or they should atleast honor it w what they promised, an ESC that can do 7.4v too?

I still doubt it too, so many places where its written that even the 100A can do both 6.0v and 7.4v

Arrma/Spektrum has made rolling revision changes without notice before. This accompanied Incorrect ESC manual info. The Early released Spektrum Firma ESC's on the whole were a nightmare. Hence revisions. Also, Spektrum had retail versions that had differing F/W revisions as well. Even buying a TLR RTR for example, with same Firma gear had different F/W feature sets. The basically identical models had different Firmware and hence slightly different model numbers. Some had LVC control, others not. Like with the Vorteks ESC, no LVC adjustability. It was locked at a high Cut off voltage when the lipo still has much capacity left. Very short runs times result. Many thought by buying expensive higher capacity lipos, that this would help. Not a realistic solution.
I just know that the Legacy BLX 185 ESC's ( 150 ampers) were locked at 6v BEC.
I avoid Spektrum like the plague. One reason I only buy Arrma Rollers now if I can help it. Retail HW ESC's for me. (y)

Last edited:
Idk what makes him think his isnt adjustable but if you don't beleive me read in black and white for your self in li ks i posted. The 150 has an adjustable bec

+1? Did you read post 11? Do you have personal experience that says it isnt?

Sorry it was the LVC not the bec my apologies. But Horizon has confirmed that the literature online is not correct and some of the options shown are different from what is actually available.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back