Typhon Is the Typhon 6s too much car for street bashing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveko23

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking to pick up another car. Currently my son and I have a Traxxas 1/16 e-revo that I recently hopped up with the hw max10 combo, and a 2wd Slash that we built that I also recently hopped up with the max10 sct combo. Currently we mostly use the cars for just driving around the cul de sac (which is I think slightly larger than a normal neighborhood cul de sac, but still not exactly a huge driving area). We're running both cars on 2s and their speed is pretty close to perfect for our use, I wouldn't mind them going a bit faster so maybe I'll gear up a little or go up to 3s and gear down a bunch. Anyway I'm looking for a more capable car for this use case as we're flipping these cars pretty easy on turns. So I was looking at various offerings and I think the only Arrma model that might fit the bill is the Typhon. And I think if I get a typhon I'd want the best one....so two questions, would the Typhon 6s be way overkill for this? And 2 how well does it handle? I assume it'll at least handle better than our current cars, but not sure how it would compare to other on road cars. I'm also looking at the Traxxas 4-tec although I was looking to branch out from Traxxas.

Thoughts or other options? (I think the Infraction would be too big or I'd jump all over that, I feel like 1/10 size is the appropriate size, and I know the Typhon is 1/8, but it's size specs are pretty close to the Traxxas 4-tec which is 1/10 sized and close to the 1/10 slash as well)

The Typhons are both the same size, but the 6S is pretty stupid fast on 6S. That said, simply run it on 4S and it becomes just regular fast ???

I picked up this Kyosho fazer Camaro for street and parking lot running. It's brushed but can run on 2s lipo. Cheap ($200) and looks awesome, just throwing out an alternative. You can check out some vids on YouTube!
20200330_131342.jpg
20200330_131709.jpg

Fazer looks pretty nice. I guess that's kinda what I'm looking for, though wish it was brushless and a bit more powerful. They do have some nice looking models though.

Fazer looks pretty nice. I guess that's kinda what I'm looking for, though wish it was brushless and a bit more powerful. They do have some nice looking models though.
Yeah, I wish it was brushless on 3s but it is what it is. I'm a 69 Camaro nut so had to have it, look at it more than run it lol.

From a technical perspective it's probably overkill for just driving around a cul-de-sac, but overkill is really in the eyes of the beholder. It does give you options if you run in a big enough area to stretch it's legs.

The Typhon 6s is perfect for street bashing.. Lower it with the droop screws and preload, throw on some GRP S2 or S3 slicks and you have a great basher that will do 60 mph (70 mph on the stock tires) and will run all day long. Other than the Limitless that Typhon 6s is my favorite Arrma vehicle because its so versatile, you can make anything out of it

I started out my street typhon on stock electronics and a 20t pinion on grp s7 compound tires. the smaller tires will drop your speed a bit but will grip/slide well depending on which compound you pick. I've since swapped it to hoons and put Mojave arms on it to widen it out a bit. I also dropped a max6/hobbystar 4092 1730kv motor in it and run 24/46. it's probably about the same speed but seems to have a boatload more torque. I might have to drop the punch some to keep it from spinning out hahahaha.

Attachments

• street typhon.jpg
    street typhon.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 113
Thanks for the input, looks like the 6s should be a great addition to my collection....my ever growing list of additional cars I need. Who knew I'd need so many. :)

I have a Typhon 6s and 4tec 2.0

They are both freaks on the street. The 4tec has something like 5mm ground clearance so that may be an factor?

How would you say they compare making quick turns? Are either prone to flipping? I'm guessing that the 5mm clearance makes the 4tec handle a little better on the street, but I'm just speculating about that. I'm not sure what the standard height of the 6s is or what I could reasonably lower it to.

How would you say they compare making quick turns? Are either prone to flipping? I'm guessing that the 5mm clearance makes the 4tec handle a little better on the street, but I'm just speculating about that. I'm not sure what the standard height of the 6s is or what I could reasonably lower it to.

Neither one is bad about that. I suppose the Typhon could depending what tires you run. You can make the Typhon a better street car by using the droop screws to lower it. If it has too much body roll for you then you can put on the limitless shocks and towers.

Typhon setup Capture.JPG

One big plus is that the 4tec 1/10 scale parts (tires) are dirt cheap.
The downside would be that beyond 60mph you will have to run foam tires. I am setting mine up for speed as you can tell by the 8s esc
(I use the blue tape to keep the foams from drying out)

SWBCapture.JPG

6s for sure, the weight really helps the tires grip in my opinion.

My Hyper 7 converted to 6s, with Typhon body and Hoons. This car hooks amazing on pavement. I scream this thing in front of my house.

Attachments

• 20200712_112002.jpg
    20200712_112002.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 20200712_112108.jpg
    20200712_112108.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 20200712_112025.jpg
    20200712_112025.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 90
You more than likely will drift way before rolling the 6S on street tires. Now off road with the Katars, that’s another story. Those things bite hard in corners.

5C31B9EF-A548-47DF-99A0-F5AAE2D7D16D.jpeg

Going back to this question I never fully "set mine up" for race type driving, but my general feeling is that the Typhon will feel more stable in the corners due to its size and weight. The 4tec would have a tendency to drift more. Both can accelerate like crazy. I went 0-60mph in my stretched typhon on 6s in an 80 foot distance, and it pulled a wheelie around the 50-65mph range. (I have a video of it if you care to see it)

Going back to this question I never fully "set mine up" for race type driving, but my general feeling is that the Typhon will feel more stable in the corners due to its size and weight. The 4tec would have a tendency to drift more. Both can accelerate like crazy. I went 0-60mph in my stretched typhon on 6s in an 80 foot distance, and it pulled a wheelie around the 50-65mph range. (I have a video of it if you care to see it)
That takes some sick traction to pop a wheelie on a stretched Typhon ?

Another vote for Yeah, the Typhon 6s is great for street. As others have said, get some GRP or Hoon belted street tires. I have some GRP in the S5 compound, and they are a lot harder than I expected, makes the car want to drift more than i'd like.

A non-Arrma car that I have thought of is the Hobao - they make two 1/8 scale road cars. Both are on the Hyper SS chassis, one is a SWB, the other is a standard GT wheelbase. JTRC has done some vids on the SWB 1/8 and 1/10 semi Hobao. He has several vids of both of these cars -

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back