Typhon Is the typhon 6s V2 still worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALex38

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Someone is selling a typhon 6s v2 for $250. Is that a decent price if it’s in decent shape? I know that’s a older version wondering if they have problems I don’t know of?

Solution
Thanks for all advice and help!
Thanks!
EV Peak and HTRC have both been around for while now and are both good brands. I just went on Amazon searched for lipo balance charger, sorted by customer rating and the HTRC charger was the 3rd listing, the Skyrc is 16 if that matters. ?‍♂️
Im
Definately keeping those in consideration. Evpeak one even has a $10 off going so it’s like $40
EV Peak and HTRC have both been around for while now and are both good brands. I just went on Amazon searched for lipo balance charger, sorted by customer rating and the HTRC charger was the 3rd listing, the Skyrc is 16 if that matters. ?‍♂️
I use a SkyRc charger. Its a single but was recommended to me as a charger perfect for someone new to charging Lipos. Its practically foolproof in its use. They also make duals. Only issue with mine is it maxes at 4s. But for $50 bucks Canadian brand new and for a charger that goes from 3.7v to 4.19v in little over half hour, im ok with it.

Best Lipo Charger 2020 Comparison (Top 5 Picks) - Drone Nodes

I currently use 2 D6Duo Pros with 24v PSU's along with my B6AC.
I use the B6AC to start my 5th lipo and finish off charging that lipo in the D6 Duo's when they are finished with the 1st 4 . Between these 3 chargers I can get 6 6S bricks done in around 1 hour. Balanced and all. That assumes I am charging all from 3.8v/cell stored lipos.

Last edited:
Thanks for all advice and help!
Thanks!
Im
Definately keeping those in consideration. Evpeak one even has a $10 off going so it’s like $40

Solution
EV Peak with the $10 coupon is probably the best value for you. @slick2500 is correct.(y):)

I’m using the HTRC T240 and T400 chargers and so far they’ve been pretty reliable. The touch screen is nice and lays everything out in front of you. I think the T240 is right at the upper end of your budget or even a few dollars higher but look at the features and see if it’s worth a stretch.

Last edited:
This charger is very user friendly! It also charges two lipos at the same time. https://www.amazon.com/HTRC-Charger-Discharger-Balance-Battery/dp/B07P863S9D/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2JDRL35VXY2XR&dchild=1&keywords=htrc+lipo+charger&qid=1608143952&sprefix=htrc,aps,190&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyMkRDTTJLSUE4UEJJJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDk4NTczMTg1Uks2U0JIVVFYRiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzMyOTgzWlZZR0FOUzU1Wk9DJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

You can buy it from Amazon or Banggood, if buying from banggood it will take 2 weeks to arrive, but also save you $20. https://www.banggood.com/HTRC-T240-...ger-p-1669367.html?cur_warehouse=USA&ID=47757
To charge the batteries you will need this plug https://www.amazon.com/WST-Battery-...ocphy=9021656&hvtargid=pla-626414876137&psc=1

Last edited:
Thanks again. I only need a one battery charger if it don’t take too many hours each. Is this one pretty similar to the htrc one port? I had narrowed it down to those 2. https://www.amazon.com/EVPEAK-Input...harger&qid=1608159854&sprefix=ev+peak&sr=8-10
I would probably opt for the HTRC for one reason, if you ever get a 6s 5000mah lipo you won't need a new charger to charge at 1c.
Best Lipo Charger 2020 Comparison (Top 5 Picks) - Drone Nodes

I currently use 2 D6Duo Pros with 24v PSU's along with my B6AC.
I use the B6AC to start my 5th lipo and finish off charging that lipo in the D6 Duo's when they are finished with the 1st 4 . Between these 3 chargers I can get 6 6S bricks done in around 1 hour. Balanced and all. That assumes I am charging all from 3.8v/cell stored lipos.
My current setup is a Hitec X2 400 and a Thunder AC680. I have both chargers set up for para charging at can currently charge 10 batteries at once. I don't have any 6s bricks anymore so it's all 3s and 2s. I do have a feeling that I am at the upper limits of the output of my 12v psu though. One of these days I am going to get myself a nice 24v unit and pick up some new leads so I can charge more than 4 lipos at a time with the Hitec. I want to be able to do at least 8.

I would probably opt for the HTRC for one reason, if you ever get a 6s 5000mah lipo you won't need a new charger to charge at 1c.

My current setup is a Hitec X2 400 and a Thunder AC680. I have both chargers set up for para charging at can currently charge 10 batteries at once. I don't have any 6s bricks anymore so it's all 3s and 2s. I do have a feeling that I am at the upper limits of the output of my 12v psu though. One of these days I am going to get myself a nice 24v unit and pick up some new leads so I can charge more than 4 lipos at a time with the Hitec. I want to be able to do at least 8.
Oh I didn’t know the EVpeak was not able to do that like the htrc. Then I’m going for the htrc for sure just to future proof a bit. Only a $15 difference between the 2 anyway. Thanks. You’re the one to send me those links to those chargers

Oh I didn’t know the EVpeak was not able to do that like the htrc. Then I’m going for the htrc for sure just to future proof a bit. Only a $15 difference between the 2 anyway. Thanks. You’re the one to send me those links to those chargers
A 6s 5000mah lipo requires about 130w to be able to charge at 1c. So with only having 100w you would only be able to max out at 0.67c or 3.35 amps.

1c is charging a lipo at its rated capacity in amp hours instead of miliamp hours so charging a 6s 5000mah lipo at 1c would be to charge it at 5 amps. The equation that I use to calculate wattage is max cell voltage x cell count x amp hours. In the case of a 6s 5000mah it would be 4.2 x 6 x 5 = 126w. If you don't want to use math you can use the calculator found on this website https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/information/rc-calculators/rc-charger-wattage-calculator/#A

-edit- At a 1C charge rate from 3.4v it will take approximately 1 hour to fully charge a lipo battery. The farther below 1c you get the longer it will take to charge.

And to make things even more complicated some lipos can be charged at 2-3C! In theory a 2c charge should take about 30 minutes, but it will require double the power of 1c, to charge a 5000mah 6s lipo at 2c would require 252 watts, 3c would be 378 watts but only cuts the charge time down to about 20 minutes, once you get above a 2c charge rate you start to run into diminishing returns as noted by the fact that you went from 1 hour to 30 minutes then to only 20 minutes, at a 4c charge rate(I don't know of any battery that can actually be charged at this rate) you only cut the time down to about 16 minutes.

Last edited:
More amps, more money. Only your wallet can decide. Not my wallet or someone else's. But 5 amps is a good place to start for your first RC charger, with a limited budget. 5amp> running 4s/6s/5000mah. Charger prices start in the $40's and go well over $150. As you can see.

A 6s 5000mah lipo requires about 130w to be able to charge at 1c. So with only having 100w you would only be able to max out at 0.67c or 3.35 amps.

1c is charging a lipo at its rated capacity in amp hours instead of miliamp hours so charging a 6s 5000mah lipo at 1c would be to charge it at 5 amps. The equation that I use to calculate wattage is max cell voltage x cell count x amp hours. In the case of a 6s 5000mah it would be 4.2 x 6 x 5 = 126w. If you don't want to use math you can use the calculator found on this website https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/information/rc-calculators/rc-charger-wattage-calculator/#A

-edit- At a 1C charge rate from 3.4v it will take approximately 1 hour to fully charge a lipo battery. The farther below 1c you get the longer it will take to charge.

And to make things even more complicated some lipos can be charged at 2-3C! In theory a 2c charge should take about 30 minutes, but it will require double the power of 1c, to charge a 5000mah 6s lipo at 2c would require 252 watts, 3c would be 378 watts but only cuts the charge time down to about 20 minutes, once you get above a 2c charge rate you start to run into diminishing returns as noted by the fact that you went from 1 hour to 30 minutes then to only 20 minutes, at a 4c charge rate(I don't know of any battery that can actually be charged at this rate) you only cut the time down to about 16 minutes.
Yeah I can’t lie it got pretty confusing. I’m ok with a 1c charge for now. One question I see some chargers are dual port. Can’t I add what they call a balance board to a single charger and make it charge multiple batteries at once. Like a xt90 balance board. If they make those lol
More amps, more money. Only your wallet can decide. Not my wallet or someone else's. But 5 amps is a good place to start for your first RC charger, with a limited budget. 5amp> running 4s/6s/5000mah. Charger prices start in the $40's and go well over $150. As you can see.
Yeah I understand. I’m kind of ocd I guess and want best bang for buck for under $75. But I’ve narrowed it down thanks to you and others on this forum

Yeah I can’t lie it got pretty confusing. I’m ok with a 1c charge for now. One question I see some chargers are dual port. Can’t I add what they call a balance board to a single charger and make it charge multiple batteries at once. Like a xt90 balance board. If they make those lol

Yeah I understand. I’m kind of ocd I guess and want best bang for buck for under $75. But I’ve narrowed it down thanks to you and others on this forum
Absolutely you can. This is my setup, I use parallel leads instead of a para board though I can currently charge 10 lipos at once. I only really use the AC680 for charging the batteries for my minis, they are all small 2s lipos about the size of a bic.

This place is a good place to get cables and stuff for para charging. https://www.progressiverc.com/collections/parallel-charge

20201216_210115.jpg

I hope parts are still made for this typhon I bought since it’s a v2. That woulda suck if stuff breaks and it’s not supported anymore and it’s a pain to find parts. Anyone have an idea ?

I hope parts are still made for this typhon I bought since it’s a v2. That woulda suck if stuff breaks and it’s not supported anymore and it’s a pain to find parts. Anyone have an idea ?

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Other users may know for sure, but I am pretty sure pretty much everything for the newer versions will be compatible. One (abeit tedious) way to find out is to select a part in the "Standard parts" menu for the current Typhon and scroll down in the cross reference section to see which models it is used in.

For example, you can see here that the current motor mount is compatible with the V2 to V5 Typhons.
https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA320468

I suggest you check for the battery tray and radio box compatibility. I think these changed between the V2 and V3, but I don't think it necessarily means you can't use a current battery tray in your V2. Other users may know for sure.

You can still find V1 parts, except the motor and esc, not that you would want them anyway.

And as @FlipSide mentioned most of the V5 parts are backwards compatible all the way back to the V1. I thought I saw some mention that the a arms won't work though. It is rather unlikely that you would break an a arm though, I'm not saying that you can't or won't break an a arm but it is far less likely to happen on the Typhon than say a Kraton.
I wouldn't worry too much about that. Other users may know for sure, but I am pretty sure pretty much everything for the newer versions will be compatible. One (abeit tedious) way to find out is to select a part in the "Standard parts" menu for the current Typhon and scroll down in the cross reference section to see which models it is used in.

For example, you can see here that the current motor mount is compatible with the V2 to V5 Typhons.
https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA320468

I suggest you check for the battery tray and radio box compatibility. I think these changed between the V2 and V3, but I don't think it necessarily means you can't use a current battery tray in your V2. Other users may know for sure.
Sadly you can't use the current battery tray in the V2 unless you drill 4 new holes in the chassis. V2 and V3 have the battery tray holes in a different location. This was the only difference between the V1 Outcast chassis and the chassis in the V1 and V2 Typhon and Senton. https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/will-arrma-outcast-battery-tray-fit-kraton-v2.4075/#post-40032

Last edited:
Back