Typhon Is the Typhon as strong as the other 6s models?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I currently have a Kraton 4s, and I am looking into getting a 6s Arrma. The Typhon is the most appealing since it is around $70 less than the Kraton or Talion. Is the price difference just because the Typhon is smaller, or are parts like the differentials also weaker?

I’d like to turn a Typhon into a truggy to have something like a Kraton 4s with a stronger drivetrain. Is this a good option, or should I just go straight to something like an Outcast or Kraton? What else would I need to do other than mount some bigger wheels and maybe switch to a smaller pinion?

Sorry if these answers should be obvious. I’ve done several searches, but only found that the Typhon uses straight cut gears. I didn’t see much comparing the durability of the Typhon to the other 6s models.

You’re going to save $70 buying a Typhon only to turn around and spend $60 buying wheels and tires to turn it into a truggy? If you want a truggy then just get the Talion and be done with it.

There is a whole discussion about straight vs helical cut gears here: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...-cut-diff-gears-questions-galore-ahead.20254/

I don’t know enough about the differences to comment about strength of one vs the other.

You’re going to save $70 buying a Typhon only to turn around and spend $60 buying wheels and tires to turn it into a truggy? If you want a truggy then just get the Talion and be done with it.

There is a whole discussion about straight vs helical cut gears here: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...-cut-diff-gears-questions-galore-ahead.20254/

I don’t know enough about the differences to comment about strength of one vs the other.

The wheels will pretty much make up the price difference, but then I will have the stock Typhon wheels as a spare set. I also like that the Typhon seems closer to the size of my Kraton 4S. My friend has a Kraton 6S, and it feels big and heavy compared to my car. I’m looking for the feel of my car with a stronger drivetrain, and it seems like upgrading the electrics, axles, diffs, etc on the Kraton 4S will cost more than just getting a 6S.

To make the Typhon a top shelf basher, you need the wide mod (Kraton hubs, hexs, and axles) and some 2.8MT 17mm tires. All this will be about an extra $150 on top of the Typhon.

The straight cut gears are plenty strong until you drop in a big block motor, or step up to 3.8 tires. For buggy /SCT / 2.8MT he straight cut gears are fine.

I have a kraton 6s and a truggified typhon 6s..If I can only drive one, it’s the kraton every single time..

A lot depends on terrain though..my terrain is not ideal for a truggified typhon and a regular typhon even less so.. In hindsight I wish I had bought a Talion instead..

After 3 days of bashing my typhon, the chassis was more *fiddlesticked* up than my kraton chassis after beating the absolute *poop* out of it for 11 months...I think terrain is the biggest factor

To make the Typhon a top shelf basher, you need the wide mod (Kraton hubs, hexs, and axles) and some 2.8MT 17mm tires. All this will be about an extra $150 on top of the Typhon.

The straight cut gears are plenty strong until you drop in a big block motor, or step up to 3.8 tires. For buggy /SCT / 2.8MT he straight cut gears are fine.

The Kraton 4S already has 3.8 wheels, so I was thinking I would use something similar, or just swap the wheels over.

The Kraton 4S already has 3.8 wheels, so I was thinking I would use something similar, or just swap the wheels over.
That’s where the straight cut gears would fail you. When you step up to 3.8’s on straight gears your playing with fire..

I currently have a Kraton 4s, and I am looking into getting a 6s Arrma. The Typhon is the most appealing since it is around $70 less than the Kraton or Talion. Is the price difference just because the Typhon is smaller, or are parts like the differentials also weaker?

I’d like to turn a Typhon into a truggy to have something like a Kraton 4s with a stronger drivetrain. Is this a good option, or should I just go straight to something like an Outcast or Kraton? What else would I need to do other than mount some bigger wheels and maybe switch to a smaller pinion?

Sorry if these answers should be obvious. I’ve done several searches, but only found that the Typhon uses straight cut gears. I didn’t see much comparing the durability of the Typhon to the other 6s models.
Just go for the Kraton or Outcast.

I have a kraton 6s and a truggified typhon 6s..If I can only drive one, it’s the kraton every single time..

A lot depends on terrain though..my terrain is not ideal for a truggified typhon and a regular typhon even less so.. In hindsight I wish I had bought a Talion instead..

After 3 days of bashing my typhon, the chassis was more *fiddlesticked* up than my kraton chassis after beating the absolute *poop* out of it for 11 months...I think terrain is the biggest factor

I would think the short chassis of the Typhon would be less susceptible to damage than the longer Kraton chassis. What kind of damage did you have?

I would think the short chassis of the Typhon would be less susceptible to damage than the longer Kraton chassis. What kind of damage did you have?
It’s the ground clearance that beat it up. Guessing there is a lot of gravel or big rocks where he runs.

I say, get an outcast and throw some backflip LP’s on it. Killer combo ?? You’ll love it.

Which is why I would second the Outcast recommendation. Same short chassis as the Typhon, spiral gears, 3.8 tires, all ready to go. No reason to swap out anything. The only durability downsides are a more vulnerable body shell and more weight from the bigger tires. Backflip LP's do provide a lighter 3.8 option.

Last edited:

So I am curious as to why you think a shorter vs. longer chassis would be more susceptible to damage?

And the reality of the situation is as @Rcproponent stated, it’s the ground clearance of the typhon vs the kraton..even truggified, the Typhon chassis slams on the dirt/gravel road after riding a wheelie even vs the kraton who usually only bottoms out the chassis when driving over rocks the size of my fist or going off some big jumps..

A lot of the reviews I’ve read say that the talion is a nice mixture of the typhon/kraton..I’ve said it before in my comments but if I could go back in time, I’d take a 2nd kraton over my typhon..and definitely a talion over my typhon..
It’s the ground clearance that beat it up. Guessing there is a lot of gravel or big rocks where he runs.

I say, get an outcast and throw some backflip LP’s on it. Killer combo ?? You’ll love it.

You are 100% correct

I agree. I'd grab my Kraton more too, but it actually is my son's, and he is often driving with me, so... That was a big driver behind me building my Outcast, I liked his Kraton way more than my Typhon - And in big park areas (like retaining ponds) Kraton is king, no contest.

I did have a V1 Talion way back when, and I liked it. But I got the burn for a 1/8 Ebug, and most of my driving was at my local track, so I traded the Talion for a Typhon. Talion vs Kraton, 90% of the difference was track truggy tires Vs the steam-roller style CopperHead tires. Put MT tires on the Talion, or Track tires on the Kraton, and you could almost not tell them apart (driving style). But that was the older V1, the new Talion is different, lower profile, different weight distribution. (as a side note, my Outcast was built with Talion suspension instead of Kraton Suspension, so I call it my Outcast LP (Low Profile))

My Outcast LP, on 4s with truggy tires, is a good blend of Kraton bash-ability and Typhon handling. On 6s, with Backflip tires, it spends most of it's time with the front wheels in the air, so handling is not so great... :)

So I am curious as to why you think a shorter vs. longer chassis would be more susceptible to damage?

And the reality of the situation is as @Rcproponent stated, it’s the ground clearance of the typhon vs the kraton..even truggified, the Typhon chassis slams on the dirt/gravel road after riding a wheelie even vs the kraton who usually only bottoms out the chassis when driving over rocks the size of my fist or going off some big jumps..

A lot of the reviews I’ve read say that the talion is a nice mixture of the typhon/kraton..I’ve said it before in my comments but if I could go back in time, I’d take a 2nd kraton over my typhon..and definitely a talion over my typhon..

You are 100% correct
Leverage
I was thinking in terms of bending rather than scratches.
I still bent my Typhon EXB chassis ?
3 letters bro EXB
But I own a Typhon modding to Krayphoon. But love the Typhon power
Oh sorry, the three letters we were looking for were M2C.

M2C

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back