Typhon Is there a difference between ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... Outcast and Typhon diffs?

I'm curious because I will convert my Typhon into an Outcast.

Thanks,

Markus
They share the same diff cases, and exact same internal diffs. The main difference is the crown gear and input gears. Both are 43 tooth crown, however the Typhon has straight cut crown and input gears and the Outcast/Kraton has spiral cut. Typhon has 13 tooth main input gear front/rear, Outcast/Kraton has 10 tooth.

Thanks Rich!

Will I have a problem running the Typhon Diffs in an Outcast conversion? Should I take a smaller pinion on the motor (maybe a 12 or 14 tooth) to compensate for the difference?

Don't want to shred them...

Markus

Thanks Rich!

Will I have a problem running the Typhon Diffs in an Outcast conversion? Should I take a smaller pinion on the motor (maybe a 12 or 14 tooth) to compensate for the difference?

Don't want to shred them...

Markus
I'm not sure, haven't tried it. Spiral cut gears are supposed to handle a bit more torque I believe. When I built my son's Outcast using my Typhon and Kraton parts, I borrowed my Kraton diffs. I'd say try 14 tooth pinion perhaps, but make sure and shim your diffs, especially the crown gear side.

Shimming only front and rear diff? Not center, right?
Shimming only front and rear diff? Not center, right?
You can shim all 3 internal diffs to strengthen them. But I'm referring to using 2-3 Tekno #1222 shims on the front and rear between the crown gear side outside bearing face and the diff case slot the bearing sits into. This tightens the mesh between the crown and main input gear and decreases the likelihood of slippage and/or stripping.

Hey Rich I have another question:

I just bought Loise 3.8 Tires for the Outcast. They are really large and I'm worried they are too large:

11,5 cm x 16,5 cm

Is this too much for the outcast and 6S?

Hey Rich I have another question:

I just bought Loise 3.8 Tires for the Outcast. They are really large and I'm worried they are too large:

11,5 cm x 16,5 cm

Is this too much for the outcast and 6S?
Watch your temps closely. Not sure what the total mass difference is between those and Backflips, but larger/heavier wheels on 6s can overheat electronics and over work the servo. It's a trial and error sort of deal, may need to gear down or stick with 4s when running them. I personally haven't tried those. Still think Backflips are quite nice for all around bashers.

Allright thanks. Can't get my hands on Backflips. They seem to be sold out nearly everywhere.

What I can get here are Proline Badlands or Proline Trencher 40 series. The badlands seem to be a close match sizewise to the stock tires. I just heard that they are balloning like crazy and that backflips are overall better? Can you confirm this Rich? What about the Trenchers? 175mm tall is alot :(

And do I need 0" or X" offset???

Last edited:
Allright thanks. Can't get my hands on Backflips. They seem to be sold out nearly everywhere.

What I can get here are Proline Badlands or Proline Trencher 40 series. The badlands seem to be a close match sizewise to the stock tires. I just heard that they are balloning like crazy and that backflips are overall better? Can you confirm this Rich? What about the Trenchers? 175mm tall is alot :(

And do I need 0" or X" offset???
Most Prolines do balloon like mad, however, Trencher 40 series are supposed to be the exception, yet to try them myself. The Prolines usually come with 1/2" offset which helps stability. I can't recommend Badlands unless you plan on taping them, they simply balloon too much.

The Badlands look too small for the Truck to me. I just ordered Trencher 40 series - I think they are with 0" offset.

I'm testing them and let you know how the work out!

Thanks Rich for your help.

The Badlands look too small for the Truck to me. I just ordered Trencher 40 series - I think they are with 0" offset.

I'm testing them and let you know how the work out!

Thanks Rich for your help.
Hey no problem bud, definitely look forward to your opinion on the 40 series.

They share the same diff cases, and exact same internal diffs. The main difference is the crown gear and input gears. Both are 43 tooth crown, however the Typhon has straight cut crown and input gears and the Outcast/Kraton has spiral cut. Typhon has 13 tooth main input gear front/rear, Outcast/Kraton has 10 tooth.
So the typing will be faster cuz of the three tooth more on the input so will the Typhon
be faster because of the three more teeth on the end put gear
Hey sorry Rich my question look like a little kid wrote it all I was asking is will the Typhon be faster than the outcast because of 3 tooth difference or if I use the outcasts ring and pinion remain input gear will have more low end torque I guess I'm asking cuz you know I'm building a if trugified yhphon and I end up ended up putting my old Outcast ring and pinion input gear and the diff out of the outkast so I didn't realize there was a difference but it should still be fine right

Last edited:
Holy old thread resurrection.

When talking about R&P’s it’s easier to use the ratio to visualize the difference. The Kraton/outcast has a 4.3:1 ratio. That means the pinion has to turn 4.3 times for the ring gear to turn once. The Typhon has a 3.308:1 ratio and thus it turns 3.3 times. If all other variables are the same the Kraton differentials will allow more torque and a lower top speed. Higher the r&p the higher torque, lower r&p = higher top speed. It all becomes a balance with motor size, tire size and pinion/spur sizes.

Look at the speed differences by just changing the differential r&p

386660A2-FFC6-4E0C-A27D-4C908BF1E4E8.png

3CBC78D4-8B4F-488F-8970-CD275EAEC5F3.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back