Big Rock Is this a normal sound coming from Big Rock in reverse and forward?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keaton228

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Just took my brand new Big Rock out for the first time on a black top and not off road! This thing sends it. Just a quick question—is this grinding sound normal coming from this vehicle at low speeds? I think it’s the driveshaft because it does it when it’s powered off and you roll it by hand too. Just curious if others experience this too.

Just took my brand new Big Rock out for the first time on a black top and not off road! This thing sends it. Just a quick question—is this grinding sound normal coming from this vehicle at low speeds? I think it’s the driveshaft because it does it when it’s powered off and you roll it by hand too. Just curious if others experience this too.

Yep all normal. I asked the same thing. It was weird. Didn't hear it on the first run but then we did when we got back.

Normal gear sound and that gargly chirping sound is a bit of cogging, which is normal for uncensored, brushless motors.

Cogging, just get a sensored motor and ESC if it bothers you that much or wait for the itch.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221213-115036.png
    Screenshot_20221213-115036.png
    237.9 KB · Views: 22
No they don't. Not noticeable. Unless your load is higher than the specs on the motor. Either that or I have two Castle super motors haha.
Cogging does in fact exist in brushless sensored motors..not being noticable is besides the point.

I asked OpenAI, just to make sure.

View attachment 262630
I'm saying I don't get what you guys are debating here. This is on my post: "No they don't. Not noticeable" Meaning I understand every motor cogs, but for purposes of our hobby they don't cog. When some says not noticeable it should be common sense that your are saying that it can happen but....that its almost not noticeable. So stop Google searching lol. When I have my Castle 2400kv motor over-geared it cogs or at least it seems to or sounds like it. But if I have it with in the correct gearing I can't experience it. Thats all I was saying, some of you guys are too extra.

Sensored motors cog also
From what the net says
Be careful with much misinformation on the Net.:rolleyes:
And many misinterpret what "cogging" actually is.
OP is hearng what is probably normal.
A properly setup Sensored setup will have no disernable Cogging "audibly" present. With a non sensored motor, it is exclusively the Back EMF signals that tell the ESC where the Motor's rotor to stator position is relative to RPM and rotational direction.
With Full Sensored setups, the motor's 3 "Hall Effect" sensors supply motor feed back to the ESC and is much more precise. Hence Cogging is barely observed or even heard. Brushed motors do not cog for this reason. FWIW. It uses brushes. ( off topic here)
:cool:

Last edited:
I'm saying I don't get what you guys are debating here. This is on my post: "No they don't. Not noticeable" Meaning I understand every motor cogs, but for purposes of our hobby they don't cog. When some says not noticeable it should be common sense that your are saying that it can happen but....that its almost not noticeable. So stop Google searching lol. When I have my Castle 2400kv motor over-geared it cogs or at least it seems to or sounds like it. But if I have it with in the correct gearing I can't experience it. Thats all I was saying, some of you guys are too extra.
Haha, no worries. It is a meme that I do recently. I keep asking this bot to see what it says. Its opinion/knowledge is based on what it read on internet, so if many ppl say bollocks, the bot will say bollocks too.

I was not arguing with you 👍

Haha, no worries. It is a meme that I do recently. I keep asking this bot to see what it says. Its opinion/knowledge is based on what it read on internet, so if many ppl say bollocks, the bot will say bollocks too.

I was not arguing with you 👍
I wasn't also arguing with anyone either.i don't own any sensored motors my self .only sensorless and I did Google and found a lot of info stating that sensored motors do cog ..that's why I posted that page with that info .wasn't trying to proove any one wrong .just trying to help👍 .you did say they don't and since I don't know much about sensored motors I googled for the info to help us all out .didn't mean any harm bud .👍🤟

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back