Notorious Is this center diff issue common?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Custnam

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
I was running my Notorious up and down the street and I started to notice a lack of power. I decided to finally check it and I saw diff grease all over the place. Upon further inspection the grub screw had completely backed out of the center diff and all the fluid spilled out all over the place. Is this common? This was a new diff purchased whole from ebay from a seller that strips rtr's to sell the parts.

Attachments

• 20191027_183523.jpg
    20191027_183523.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 147
I've never had it happen either. Been running my outcast for over a year and when I changed the center diff cup out to install the arrma alloy one, that was the second time I had taken the center diff out other than to install the HR motor mount last Christmas.

I've never had it happen either. Been running my outcast for over a year and when I changed the center diff cup out to install the arrma alloy one, that was the second time I had taken the center diff out other than to install the HR motor mount last Christmas.
Yea its strange. The original diff screw is fine. So I just refilled it, cleaned all the gunk up, then reinstalled the original diff. Good to go.

I wouldnt call that specific issue common BUT I would say center diff cups getting beat to poop are common. I shim all my diffs of course on my v4 talion but the f/r diffs are stock arrma diffs. The cup for the center i MUST have aluminum because I seem to get a rock or a freaking acorn or all sorts of random things in there that just wreck the plastic diff cups. The aluminum center diff cup I have on is all scratched up and ugly but its 100% in every other way. If you frequently find some rocks or random things in your tray id go aluminum for the center.

Never had it happen either, but I did have mine cross threaded from the factory. Don't even know why it's necessary. My other cars don't have it, and I've never needed it to get the out drive pin out.

Never had it happen either, but I did have mine cross threaded from the factory. Don't even know why it's necessary. My other cars don't have it, and I've never needed it to get the out drive pin out.
lmao the one in my rear is still cross threaded from the factory I figured if I took it out it would end up leaking after I put it back in.

So last month I overfilled one on accident because I was ,,, in a beverage based state, , and as I screwed down the 43t gear, the cup burst a little micro hole and started squirting out a super thin laser beam of 30k diff fluid. Ever since then I actually let a little seep out the grub screw when im tightening everything down. Before I never used the grub screw either.

I was running my Notorious up and down the street and I started to notice a lack of power. I decided to finally check it and I saw diff grease all over the place. Upon further inspection the grub screw had completely backed out of the center diff and all the fluid spilled out all over the place. Is this common? This was a new diff purchased whole from ebay from a seller that strips rtr's to sell the parts.
I haven't ran into that. Maybe it backed out on its own?

I haven't ran into that. Maybe it backed out on its own?

Yes thats exactly what happened. I checked it before I installed it and it was tight and I could see it had also been thread locked as well. But not only did it back out, but it completely stripped all the threads. So I cant even reuse that cup.

Yes thats exactly what happened. I checked it before I installed it and it was tight and I could see it had also been thread locked as well. But not only did it back out, but it completely stripped all the threads. So I cant even reuse that cup.
Wow that sucks. Sorry to hear that. It's a plastic piece though so I don't know how thread lock can help that much no?

I agree with the thread lock into plastic but thats how it came from ARRMA. Guess they think it helps?
Someone told me that threadlock eats into plastic so now I'm confused ?. But you are right.

Someone told me that threadlock eats into plastic so now I'm confused ?. But you are right.

What I considered doing was super glue that screw it. I mean is it really even needed. But I decided to go with HR diff cases and bought 3 from Ebay for $6.94 each. Sold out quickly at that price.

Just an update: After fixing my center diff issue, refilling it, and refilling and greasing all 3 diffs all I have to say is WOW, what a difference. It runs so smooth, and a lot quieter. So I guess Ill be doing that more often. Its also so much more controllable. I was running wheelies up and down my block with ease. Love it!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back