Granite is this is this normal? (bent motor mount?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philistine

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey all
I was hearing a yucky crunchy sound from the slipper clutch/gear area so i pulled it apart for the first time To suss it out.
The aluminium motor mount isnt flat/straight.
Is this normal?
(See pics)
ABE6B19B-155E-4370-9EF2-00FDDFA5B9D0.jpeg
451A43B3-0317-4685-A3B9-7BB96C3D37FC.jpeg

Get a replacement, definitely not normal.

bummer!

i looked up the hot racing and M2c replacements and they're like - $25-$27 plus $25 postage from the states
Just another typical day in the life in Australia hahaha
Managed to straighten it pretty well for now at least!
A1D37AE6-84B7-4088-9066-FCED0D54C2AD.jpeg
463635AE-57AA-40F8-8854-64E2B7020018.jpeg

bummer!

i looked up the hot racing and M2c replacements and they're like - $25-$27 plus $25 postage from the states
Just another typical day in the life in Australia hahaha
Managed to straighten it pretty well for now at least!
View attachment 111326View attachment 111327
Looks pretty straight, will get you up and running for now. Once they bend, the aluminum fatigues and will happen again sooner or later, too bad you don't have parts availability.

Looks pretty straight, will get you up and running for now. Once they bend, the aluminum fatigues and will happen again sooner or later, too bad you don't have parts availability.
I can get OEM parts easily enough and there's also a place that sells GPM stuff.. but yeah, definitely fewer options than the US or the UK it seems

Jees, what do you guys do with your trucks? I can't imagine which stunts would cause the motor mount to bend like that. Maybe you can help me?

It's pretty common to bend a motor mount, just read in another thread M2C is supposed to come out with one.

Jees, what do you guys do with your trucks? I can't imagine which stunts would cause the motor mount to bend like that. Maybe you can help me?
My daughter smoked the tongue of my trailer at WOT with a 25-30 yard run up, on packed gravel. Hit the thing straight on with the front left shock. Took out the A-arm, shock, and steering block, on that side, bent the motor mount, which wiped out the motor bearings, and destroyed a spur gear.... that’s why I don’t really like the idea of aluminum components. If aluminum flexes once, it’s all over but the cryin...... someone should just make the mount plate from tungsten carbide or something... or would that be too damn brittle?

Edit*
to answer your question, I think one hard nose dive from a decent height(6-8 foot) is all it really takes to distort the mount plate enough to mess up the mesh between the spur and pinion.

Sorry, not a native speaker. I don't understand this. Sounds like a major smack. Wow!
Oh it was a hard hit... but, after having the gear mesh a smidge too tight today.... And wiping the spur gear, necessitating a replacement spur. I got 3 packs run through the old bird, and I’m guessing it’s probably doing about 65ish at full clap....

I have bent my motor mount a couple of times and I think a block between the radio box and the motor would be a better solution, since the motor’s forward momentum is what causes the damage.

-C
You could always cut some hard neoprene, or some other fairly stiff rubber and secure it between the motor and the electronics box. I honestly think that aluminum is the wrong choice for the motor mount plate, and it should be something stronger... something like spring steel, or just at least something that won’t completely compromise the structural integrity of the piece from one hard hit

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back