Kraton Is this lipo mounted properly?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlon

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Sup arrma crew. So I finally got my first lipos yesterday and mounted one of my 6s batteries in my new kraton. I was hoping you all could let me know if its mounted properly as arrma would have it. Basically, im Not absolutely sure I have the balance lead and second ic5 strapped in probably. I included a pic for you all to critic. Also, I have a step down contactor from ic5 to xt60. Is this an absolute no no? I was hoping it would be temporarily ok until I get my soldering gun. Once I have that, I'll cut the xt 60s off my 6s lipos and put on ic5s. I appreciate all you guys helping me out! I've quickly realized that the rc online community has some of the nicest and most helpful people I've ever meet on the net. ??

Attachments

• 20191210_225415.jpg
    20191210_225415.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 164
Just keep an eye on the temp of that XT60 connector when running. If it gets hot to the touch, like you can’t hold it forever, then you will know it isn’t a good idea. If it gets that hot it could unsolder itself and dead short. The other indicator would be if it goes into LVC early. Time will tell.

I usually try to get at least one piece of each wire strapped into the velcro once, so that big adapter isn’t going to flop around a lot since it’s not tucked in anywhere. I would just find a way to strap that side in somewhere under the velcro to keep it from flopping around.

The balance lead is perfect! That’s exactly where it goes. Nice job ??

Oh and have some fun dude! ✌?

Just keep an eye on the temp of that XT60 connector when running. If it gets hot to the touch, like you can’t hold it forever, then you will know it isn’t a good idea. If it gets that hot it could unsolder itself and dead short. The other indicator would be if it goes into LVC early. Time will tell.

I usually try to get at least one piece of each wire strapped into the velcro once, so that big adapter isn’t going to flop around a lot since it’s not tucked in anywhere. I would just find a way to strap that side in somewhere under the velcro to keep it from flopping around.

??

If that XT60 adapter even gets just "Warm". Don't ignore that. It is a sign of needing to get the correct Lipo pack connector. I ignored that same XT60 adapter when I got my son his Notorious 6S, running just a 4S lipo and same setup. It would always get just warm not hot to the touch, I always checked it, and then on one run the connection failed and arced. I was lucky and only ruined the lipo and Adapter and nothing else.:)

I would wrap the smaller velcro on top of everything to hold the cables tight, also the balance lead should be inserted into the slot, and not just held by the wire and flap around.

X2

I have a similar set up and i'll get a pic later today and share. What's a picture worth???

I would wrap the smaller velcro on top of everything to hold the cables tight, also the balance lead should be inserted into the slot, and not just held by the wire and flap around.
The balance lead in @Harlon rig has a protector clipped onto it and wont fit into the slot to secure in the normal fashion. His attempt to secure it like he has is fine. I do the same. Being semi secure is better.Some lipos like my gensacearespammers have this to handle the balance lead better. It can be removed. But I don't.
Also, sometimes I would rather wrap the Velcro around the balance lead, because if the battery becomes ejected from the rig from impact, the balance lead secured into the "slot" will cause pulling out of the lipo and tear the leads since being secured tightly to the Lipo tray. That's not good. Just make sure the bal. lead never touches any moving parts like the rear dogbone or Diff Spur. (y)
20191212_165435.jpg

Personally, I'd strap down that big connector under one of the velcro straps and I'd pull the slack out of the balance tap so the plug is as close to the tie down as possible. Those large balance tap "protectors" add weight to the end of the plug and as you bash, it repeatedly bends the wire in the same spot as it flops around while you drive. Eventually, the copper wire inside work hardens and breaks. Used to happen all the time to my buddy that ran ge ns ace packs. Seemed like I was fixing breaks in his wires every other bash.

If that XT60 adapter even gets just "Warm". Don't ignore that. It is a sign of needing to get the correct Lipo pack connector. I ignored that same XT60 adapter when I got my son his Notorious 6S, running just a 4S lipo and same setup. It would always get just warm not hot to the touch, I always checked it, and then on one run the connection failed and arced. I was lucky and only ruined the lipo and Adapter and nothing else.:)
Ok will do. Thanks for the heads up
Personally, I'd strap down that big connector under one of the velcro straps and I'd pull the slack out of the balance tap so the plug is as close to the tie down as possible. Those large balance tap "protectors" add weight to the end of the plug and as you bash, it repeatedly bends the wire in the same spot as it flops around while you drive. Eventually, the copper wire inside work hardens and breaks. Used to happen all the time to my buddy that ran ge ns ace packs. Seemed like I was fixing breaks in his wires every other bash.
??
The balance lead in @Harlon rig has a protector clipped onto it and wont fit into the slot to secure in the normal fashion. His attempt to secure it like he has is fine. I do the same. Being semi secure is better.Some lipos like my gensacearespammers have this to handle the balance lead better. It can be removed. But I don't.
Also, sometimes I would rather wrap the Velcro around the balance lead, because if the battery becomes ejected from the rig from impact, the balance lead secured into the "slot" will cause pulling out of the lipo and tear the leads since being secured tightly to the Lipo tray. That's not good. Just make sure the bal. lead never touches any moving parts like the rear dogbone or Diff Spur. (y)View attachment 57033
Oh ok, I was wondering why I couldn't insert the balance lead into that slot. Thanx for the info ??

Last edited:
Depending on how l will bash on a given day. I usually just put the balance lead under a velcro strap. :)
Like I said earlier, if your lipo gets ejected, and it happens if the battery tray breaks from some big air, the lipo will move and yank on the bal. Lead when a fixed to that bal. Lead holder. Not a great idea. Great concept by Arrma but not practical in function.

As a new Kraton owner, I have to say this thread has been helpful. Lots of great variations on how to use the straps and clips, plus considerations that I didn't think of.

One thing I do for running in the snow (which is my only choice these days in Canada) is to use a finger from a nitrile glove to protect the balance lead from getting wet. Not sure if this is truly a risk, but its easy and basically free.

Attachments

• 20191212_204535_HDR.jpg
    20191212_204535_HDR.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
As a new Kraton owner, I have to say this thread has been helpful. Lots of great variations on how to use the straps and clips, plus considerations that I didn't think of.

One thing I do for running in the snow (which is my only choice these days in Canada) is to use a finger from a nitrile glove to protect the balance lead from getting wet. Not sure if this is truly a risk, but its easy and basically free.

Very good point. Sounds like a great improvement in the V5?
The glove love can’t hurt.

Oh and one other thing I do with my 4S 5000mah pack... Since the battery tray seems to be sized for either 6s or higher capacity batteries... I fold a piece of foam from the battery packaging under the cap on the one end to keep it from bouncing around.

Anyone else do this?

Attachments

• 20191212_211726_HDR.jpg
    20191212_211726_HDR.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 20191212_211730_HDR.jpg
    20191212_211730_HDR.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 50
Oh and one other thing I do with my 4S 5000mah pack... Since the battery tray seems to be sized for either 6s or higher capacity batteries... I fold a piece of foam from the battery packaging under the cap on the one end to keep it from bouncing around.

Anyone else do this?
Oh this is a great idea?? especially since I'm running soft packs right now. Thanks 4 sharing bro!

Here's how I've done it and haven't had any issues. Also, based on your pic the adapter isn't fully plugged to the bat lead. Check it.
IMG_20191212_214925762.jpg

Since I use 2 3S packs with XT90's, I added a second velcro strap so I can put a strap before and after the connectors to help keep them from popping apart on a hard landing. So far so good and I've had a few lawn dart landings since adding the second strap.

Since I use 2 3S packs with XT90's, I added a second velcro strap so I can put a strap before and after the connectors to help keep them from popping apart on a hard landing. So far so good and I've had a few lawn dart landings since adding the second strap.

I like the idea of adding a second strap. ?

Here's how I've done it and haven't had any issues. Also, based on your pic the adapter isn't fully plugged to the bat lead. Check it.
View attachment 57071
Would you say those motor fans are a must have upgrade? Do they allow you to use a higher tooth pinion without overheating?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back