Is this Lipo safe to use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prisma

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Granite
Hey everyone,
I just pulled the battery pack out of my Granite and I've noticed the front is a little deformed.
Is this pack safe to use? The damage is quite minimal, or at least it seems to be the case.
IMG_20211018_170331.jpg

IMG_20211018_170316.jpg

In the case of lipo batteries. When in doubt throw it out.

What are its numbers?
IR and Volt's at full charge?
How old is It BTW?
Does it have that Sweet smell of Lithium polymer near the broken area? Surely don't use it if that's the case.
Need a better close up shot where its damaged.
Did that pack eject from the lipo tray??? What exactly hit the broken part. just the lipo tray?

Softcase lipos heat shrink wrap can break. That is just the outer protective layer. It can be re wapped up with Gorilla tape or additional shrink wrap. If the inner layer of the cell(s) is broken severely probably not safe to use. Defintely don't store it in a full charged state. Any lipo in general and especially damaged ones. They are more volitile in this state. If discarding it, discharge it. And recycle or dispose of according to your jusridiction. Leave outside your home where it wont burn anything combustible, until you decide what to do.:cool:

Edited.

Last edited:
What are its numbers. IR and Volt's at full charge? How old is It BTW.
Does it have that Sweet smell of Lithium polymer near the broken area? Surely don't use it if that's the case.
Need a better close up shot where its damaged.
No smell to speak of, I'm currently charging it, it's not off balance, the IR is 1.8, 1.6 and 0.9.
It's a 3S pack I've had for the past 4 months.

IMG_20211018_171346~2.jpg

I have repaired lipos like that. Yeah if specs are still good. It may be ok to use. Just keep an eye on it. Where do you store all your lipos. In a safe lipo proof place? Good practice to do this in general. Just watch for puffing. Which I don't see any. Yet.
Ultimately its only your call. ;)
Its a good practice to line your lipo tray with padding so damage like this is greatly reduced.

I have repaired lipos like that. Yeah if specs are still good. It may be ok to use. Just keep an eye on it. Where do you store all your lipos. In a safe lipo proof place? Good practice to do this in general. Just watch for puffing. Which I don't see any. Yet.
Ultimately its only your call. ;)
Thanks for the reply!
I store them in a lipo safe bag just in case. I'll store this one in it's individual enclosure until I make sure it's ok. I mean it doesn't overheat, smell bad or anything. It's just a bit deformed on one end.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back