Is this mesh between pinion and spur ok? (Not arrma related)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcmadman

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
Hi, I’ve just installed my motor in my newly converted brushless 1/8 truggy, I fired it up to here a lot of metal clashing noises from the spur and pinion.

I was wondering if the mesh was off Between the pinion and spur or if it’s just the noise it makes (I might just be too used to rtr and closed gearboxes)

Better to be on the safe side and ask for advice, I’ll link a video
The video

So you want a lil, tiny bit of space between the gears. One of the classic ways to verify this is using a some paper. If the paper can make it through without being ripped up by the meshing you're close enough.

You don't want the gear teeth to be seeded in all the way with each other, where the teeth are touching the inner most part of the other gear.

You want the spur gear to have a tiny bit if play. So if the pinion gear is sitting there, the spur gear can still just slightly move. (y)

So you want a lil, tiny bit of space between the gears. One of the classic ways to verify this is using a some paper. If the paper can make it through without being ripped up by the meshing you're close enough.

You don't want the gear teeth to be seeded in all the way with each other, where the teeth are touching the inner most part of the other gear.

You want the spur gear to have a tiny bit if play. So if the pinion gear is sitting there, the spur gear can still just slightly move. (y)
Thanks for the fast reply, tried the paper thing and it ripped a bit of the paper, think they are too close. Also (took a few photos) from further inspection the teeth of the pinion are too far in.

Attachments

• F209EC99-37E6-442E-97B0-167D6692B155.jpeg
    F209EC99-37E6-442E-97B0-167D6692B155.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 948FC820-50FB-4995-ACC5-8C41050892B3.jpeg
    948FC820-50FB-4995-ACC5-8C41050892B3.jpeg
    239.1 KB · Views: 187
Yeah when I move the spur it instantly moves the pinion, well I will move it slightly apart
thanks again

Spur looks 32p, Pinion looks 1.0 Modulus But whatever that Pinion is, those gears are NOT matched. You have the WRONG pinion there!!!! Don't drive that way. You break a fundamental rule. Always match your gears. :cool: Better confirm the pitch of both gears first.
@jondilly1974 is absolutely right. The picture doesn't lie.(y)
Hope you are not bashing it like that right now. Spells disaster.:eek:

edit: I'm sure you will be back with issues.(y)

Last edited:
You gave him very good mesh advice. Its so very rare that guys would mismatch pinions/spurs pitch. But that's what it appears.
I saw the picture and video first. Saw the wrong pinion. @jondilly1974 caught that right away.:cool:

Spur looks 32p, Pinion looks 1.0 Modulus But whatever that Pinion is, those gears are NOT matched. You have the WRONG pinion there!!!! Don't drive that way. You break a fundamental rule. Always match your gears. :cool: Better confirm the pitch of both gears first.
@jondilly1974 is absolutely right. The picture doesn't lie.(y)
Hope you are not bashing it like that right now. Spells disaster.:eek:

edit: I'm sure you will be back with issues.(y)
I bought this on eBay and it came with a pinion, I never stopped to think about the pinion matching the spur, I thought this one would fit.
I haven’t bashed it yet which is lucky, thanks for saying or else.
the spur is 68t which is rather too big and the pinion is 22t but I’ll need to look up the right fit.
Not sure what each of the teeth names are but I’ll try and look it up, thanks

The tooth count is not important. You can have different amounts.
Its the size of the teeth that don't appear to match. There are several "pitch sizes". They need to be matched or the gears wont mesh with each other. The harder metal gear of the 2 will tear up the other. Both will be bricked. Could even over heat the motor. There is a gearing "Pitch" size chart somewhere online to help you find what your spur gear's pitch is. I would not guess and tell you. But perhaps its an 32 spur(smaller pitch) and a larger pinion (larger) that you have. Good you didn't drive it yet.(y)(y)(y):cool:
Edit: Both gears should have identical tooth profile and fit into each other perfectly when pressed together.

Thanks for the advice, I will check that chart your talking about. Did some digging apparently the spur is mod 1, does that seem correct?

Ok you got that much. (y) Find the pitch of that spur gear And match it.(y):cool:
I want to guess it is a 32P (Pitch). Only you can verify this. Check your manual first if you have it.

Curious.... what brand and rig is this???

I bought this on eBay and it came with a pinion, I never stopped to think about the pinion matching the spur, I thought this one would fit.
I haven’t bashed it yet which is lucky, thanks for saying or else.
the spur is 68t which is rather too big and the pinion is 22t but I’ll need to look up the right fit.
Not sure what each of the teeth names are but I’ll try and look it up, thanks
Was this bought used? Wondering if previous owner switched it out...

yeah he had used it, maybe... I’ll just buy a new pinion to match the spur will be much easier that taking out the spur.
(however the spur does need gearing down it is really big , 62t not 68t)
I’ll check the chart to find out the size and update in a bit, thanks

yeah he had used it, maybe... I’ll just buy a new pinion to match the spur will be much easier that taking out the spur.
(however the spur does need gearing down it is really big , 62t not 68t)
I’ll check the chart to find out the size and update in a bit, thanks
Mainly asking in regards if it would be easier for you to purchase a new Pinion and Spur of the same pitch. Mentioning you want to gear down some, might be a good time as well?!!

Thanks so much, that really saved me the hassle!
Mainly asking in regards if it would be easier for you to purchase a new Pinion and Spur of the same pitch. Mentioning you want to gear down some, might be a good time as well?!!
Yeah I agree, I’ll find out the pitch first and go from there, may be the best option fixing two things at once

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back