Is this normal wear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-DUB

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
When I sheared a output shaft at the pin, I took apart my front and center diff to check things out.

Upon inspection, I found equal spacers on each diff, and out of all the spacers, only one of them is flat.

I have new EXB diffs coming to replace the stock 6S BLX diffs, but I am still very curious if this is normal wear for a brand new Kraton BLX with 5 packs through it.

If its not normal wear, what causes it so I can keep an eye out for it, and correct it if I see anything with the EXB diffs.

20210420_153138.jpg

That is a big negative sir. They should not look like that.

That is a big negative sir. They should not look like that.
Well I am glad I have new stuff on the way, along with a few packs of different size shims.

What causes this? Improper shimming?

Last edited:
Got it, thank you. I'm really curious how the EXB's will look. Its supposed to be a new take off from JBI, so ill get to see it before I run it this time.

Should all be flat. Agreed that overshimming will do this but that wear and tear after 5 runs is odd. I do not see excessive amount of shims either or did you remove anything?
Seems like major tolerancing issues if this is just 1 shim per gear and stock config.

The only time the internal gears turn on a diff is when one wheel is turning faster than the other . The ware on the parts comes from excessive spinning of one wheel. To prevent this you should be using heavier fluid in the diff which will limit the spinning of only one wheel. Same holds true for the center diff except the power is divided front to rear.

Can you post a pic of the entire diff completely disassembled with all the parts placed out?
The only time the internal gears turn on a diff is when one wheel is turning faster than the other . The ware on the parts comes from excessive spinning of one wheel. To prevent this you should be using heavier fluid in the diff which will limit the spinning of only one wheel. Same holds true for the center diff except the power is divided front to rear.
That wouldn't cause the shims to mushroom out though.

Can you post a pic of the entire diff completely disassembled with all the parts placed out?

That wouldn't cause the shims to mushroom out though.
No, I am not using these diffs anymore, like I said, I have EXB diffs coming so I just took these apart for spare parts. The gears are the only thing that look fine. Pins even have a lot of wear on them for new.

When I pulled them apart, there were no leaks, and the diffs were about half full of oil. Which I also know is wrong.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back