Is this normal wear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Hey everyone I just in the past month bought a new pinon gear and is this normal wear? It looks like it will need to be replaced Soon. My gear mesh is set correctly from my understanding and I'm just disappointed in having spent $10 on a little metal gear that doesn't last long. It's not a arrma pinon gear. It's some Robertson Racing pinon gear. Yes it is a Mod 1. Thanks!
Edit: Will upload pictures.

Hey everyone I just in the past month bought a new pinon gear and is this normal wear? It looks like it will need to be replaced Soon. My gear mesh is set correctly from my understanding and I'm just disappointed in having spent $10 on a little metal gear that doesn't last long. It's not a arrma pinon gear. It's some Robertson Racing pinon gear. Yes it is a Mod 1. Thanks!
Edit: Will upload pictures.
Robinson racing pinion gears are very high quality and for sure should last longer than a month. Something is wrong. Maybe your center diff bearings are going bad or something.. if your gear mesh was set correctly, then something else was wrong…

IMG_20210623_123322541.jpg
IMG_20210623_123202082.jpg

The mesh looks like it was too tight. Either that, or the centre diff has too much play. This can happen if the top cap wasn't fitted properly or if the bearings are worn out

Also, if you used an old and worn spur with a new pinion, it will prematurely wear out the pinion

How many packs have you run through it this month? A guy I bash with runs probably 15 packs for every 1 I run. I have yet to wear a pinion out on my outcast, I got it in 2018, but I have changed the gearing a few times. Still, I have the original pinion I started with around.

Just went back to see what I used in my videos to take a best guess as to how much I've run it. I record every bash session and typically run 2 sets of 3Sx2 packs through it now. When I first got it, I ran 2x2S.

The first year I went from 15-16 on 4S (roughly 75 packs).
Then 13-14 on 6S for a year (~ 60 packs).
Most recently, 18-19 with a 4092 in it (only 12 packs so far).

Typically I just bought cheap pinions off amazon that come in a range/package of 4 different sizes.

The only truck I wore a pinion out on so far has been my stampede 4x4 and savage flux hp. The stampede had traxxas's non-HD pinions on it, but plastic spur. They would still get chewed up and need replaced every few months. They savage had whatever was on it when I got it and it was pretty worn. I replaced it with RRP pinions and never wore one down.

Yeah that sounds like some pretty good luck. Or your really good at setting the mesh. I think I'll probably have to go buy a new spur and pinon gears. Not ideal at all.

@Clubin I know. Do you want to send me a pair of outdrives? I'm trying to fix things as fast as I can. Seems like this rig needs a lot of new drivetrain components now and that's going to get expensive. Fixing and replacing things as needed and ad I can afford them.

Last edited:
@Clubin I know. Do you want to send me a pair of outdrives? I'm trying to fix things as fast as I can. Seems like this rig needs a lot of new drivetrain components now and that's going to get expensive. Fixing and replacing things as needed and ad I can afford them.
Get a pair of hardened outdrives from M2C for $16

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back