Kraton Is this pinion noise normal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swift518

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I recently broke the stock pinion and replaced it with a Robinson 12T mod1 pinion from the LHS. Ive read these pinions sound different but Im wondering if this sounds normal?
The spur gear is centered on the pinion and I believe the mesh is proper. Im not having any heat issues, it just seems to scream a lot louder than before. Any input is appreciated.
20180701_105316.jpg

@Swift518 the Kratons have a loud drivetrain as they are stock, adding a Robinson pinion gear is certainly going to add a bit of noise. From what I hear it sounds pretty good and the gear mesh looks pretty good as well. I wouldn't worry about it.

When I was going to order a new pinion everyone said the Robinson pinion is noisy compared to most others. I went with a Tekno.

A harder pinion would send off more noise. Steel on steel is noisy. It's a night and day difference running my savage flux vs my brushless revo. The savage has a steel spur, the revo has plastic. Savage is way noisier and more so now that I have an RRP pinion instead of HPI. The HPI one wore out and I went with RRP just because I've always had good luck with their transmission gears.

Apparently I need to pay more attention to detail. Looks like I ordered what I thought was a Tekno pinion but its actually made by Advantage Racing Products and the title just noted Tekno in it. Oops. Ill test it out anyway. It has some kind of hardened coating on it. It will be interesting to see how it holds up. Anyone heard of this company?
IMG_20180705_191630.jpgIMG_20180705_192009.jpg

I recently broke the stock pinion and replaced it with a Robinson 12T mod1 pinion from the LHS. Ive read these pinions sound different but Im wondering if this sounds normal?
The spur gear is centered on the pinion and I believe the mesh is proper. Im not having any heat issues, it just seems to scream a lot louder than before. Any input is appreciated.
View attachment 19945
Yeah the kraton is toast just send it to me and I will recycle it for you lol. I think your just a bit shy with the mesh

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back