Granite Is this run time for real?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthPolePanda

Reaction score
I just bought my son a Granite and am running it straight out if the box, stock everything, the run time is a joke. I used to run mostly nitro so maybe I expect too much. We just went the park and with 2 batteries were back in 20-25 minutes. Not worth the effort of going out in the cold. Am I missing something? We did go in some pretty deep puddles but isn’t that the fun? Any help is welcomed. Thanks in advance

What was the per-cell voltage of the packs when you finished?

Different truck, but I have found that I get about 10-15 minutes on each of my batteries, depending on how I drive, and depending on conditions (eg- deep grass will drain them faster than smooth dirt). Just for a bit of context, albeit on a different machine.

I just bought my son a Granite and am running it straight out if the box, stock everything, the run time is a joke. I used to run mostly nitro so maybe I expect too much. We just went the park and with 2 batteries were back in 20-25 minutes. Not worth the effort of going out in the cold. Am I missing something? We did go in some pretty deep puddles but isn’t that the fun? Any help is welcomed. Thanks in advance
How long does a tank of nitro last?

Run time is effected by loads of things like mAh, gearing, driving style, terrain and the cold. I've had less than 6 minutes run time on a pack flat out, but same car, pack etc will last an hour in the skatepark.

Heavy throttle and braking drains batteries faster. But I'd rather take a few batteries with me than have to tune a nitro and clean up the mess ever again.

Welcome to the forum btw!

How long does a tank of nitro last?

Run time is effected by loads of things like mAh, gearing, driving style, terrain and the cold. I've had less than 6 minutes run time on a pack flat out, but same car, pack etc will last an hour in the skatepark.

Heavy throttle and braking drains batteries faster. But I'd rather take a few batteries with me than have to tune a nitro and clean up the mess ever again.

Welcome to the forum btw!
Thanks. I for sure hated dealing with tuning the nitro. Half the reason I gave up. How many batteries could I actually run? Just keep changing them endlessly?
Yeah, what @RedOctobyr said. You must be running some small MaH batteries.
Yes the stock battery. 3300MaH 8.4v 7cell
Yeah, what @RedOctobyr said. You must be running some small MaH batteries.
What was the per-cell voltage of the packs when you finished?

Different truck, but I have found that I get about 10-15 minutes on each of my batteries, depending on how I drive, and depending on conditions (eg- deep grass will drain them faster than smooth dirt). Just for a bit of context, albeit on a different machine.
Yes the stock battery. 3300MaH 8.4v 7cel. Is there a way better MaH? I don’t think we need lipo yet

Thanks. I for sure hated dealing with tuning the nitro. Half the reason I gave up. How many batteries could I actually run? Just keep changing them endlessly?

Technically yes, although you will want things to cool down between packs.

That there is your problem. Get yourself a 2s lipo with 5000+ mAh and you will get a decent performance bump as well as increase your run time.

Don't expect the standard brushed motor to last overly long (regardless of what pack you use) so when it fails you can upgrade to a brushless system for more power and run time too

??? You must have meant 7.4 volt, 2s?
Thats pretty low MaH. You did good at 10 minutes.

These 2

image.jpg

Technically yes, although you will want things to cool down between packs.

That there is your problem. Get yourself a 2s lipo with 5000+ mAh and you will get a decent performance bump as well as increase your run time.

Don't expect the standard brushed motor to last overly long (regardless of what pack you use) so when it fails you can upgrade to a brushless system for more power and run time too
How long of a runtime would that get us? I want to be 100% sure he’s into it before I start dumping serious money in it. It’s a starter truck for him. He’s just starting to enjoy bashing and it dies. How deep of a puddle can it handle? We are literally coming home and I am cleaning it and drying it every time.

Welcome!

If I am all balls out even with a 6S Infraction rig I can get 7-9min, but I never let off the throttle... how some bash, and those are good MAH batteries I use 🤷‍♂️

Welcome!

If I am all balls out even with a 6S Infraction rig I can get 7-9min, but I never let off the throttle... how some bash, and those are good MAH batteries I use 🤷‍♂️
He’s talking NiMH batteries on a brushed setup. I made the same mistake.

He’s talking NiMH batteries on a brushed setup. I made the same mistake.

Ahh...thx Boss I did overlook that my mistake...thx (y)

@SouthPolePanda after reading more carefully ignore my post...but again Welcome!

That's about right for a nimh battery on a brushed Granite. You might get a bit more run time after the diffs wear in. They are most likely tight which is normal out of the box.

Running much longer will probably make the motor run very hot.

You might want to invest in a entry charger to replace the original.

You can get something like an imax b6 or c240 dual charger. This way you can charge faster and will also have the option to charge lipos if you decide to stay with it.

Switching to a bit smaller pinion will also help as it puts less load on the esc. I think I put an 11 tooth on my son's granite when it was still brushed.

Make sure the jumper on the esc is on nimh and not lipo

had my son with the typhon with the nimh, that brushed lasts like 2 months, theyre cheap and easy to replace. i got similar run time in on his first batteries. 2s lipo isnt gonna give much better speed but more oomph when it gets going and better run time. think with the 2s lipo 5000 hes getting 20ish a batt

These 2

View attachment 286711

How long of a runtime would that get us? I want to be 100% sure he’s into it before I start dumping serious money in it. It’s a starter truck for him. He’s just starting to enjoy bashing and it dies. How deep of a puddle can it handle? We are literally coming home and I am cleaning it and drying it every time.
Do you not enjoy it as well.. is it a mega, just get a better battery

I used to use lhs brand 7200mah 2s lipos in my kids brushed Granite/Typhon, running in our front yard, in the grass, got an easy 15-20 minutes out of them... get some good 2s lipos, you'll need them anyways when you inevitably make that thing brushless

I used to use lhs brand 7200mah 2s lipos in my kids brushed Granite/Typhon, running in our front yard, in the grass, got an easy 15-20 minutes out of them... get some good 2s lipos, you'll need them anyways when you inevitably make that thing brushless
Yup. I get 20-25 minutes on 7200 3s in my Vorteks. He needs to take that 3300 and toss it.

These 2

View attachment 286711

Regarding the puddles: my sons mega typhon has bassically been to its waist in water though briefly, almost every drive we do is muddy at best. It survived and still truxks. Bewarned though that the jumpers for reverse and lipo/nimh is open and the bearings are unsealed. Over time those bearings will eventually rust out. But i barely dry em out and here it is nearly 4 months later and still bashimg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back