Is this transmission housing binding too much?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turn2burn

Reaction score
So I got this transmission housing for my center diff as I have a hearing impairment and am reactive to sound.

I had to use one of the factory shims (extras) that came with my EXB 6s Kraton as the diff moved back an forth when in the housing.
It would be nice if it spun more freely but I was wondering if any of you happened to know if this would fry my bearings or diff. Thanks for checking this out.

https://studio.youtube.com/video/9DWpylKWzJk/edit

it looks pretty smooth to me. it appears that it still spins a bit after you let go, if it was binding it would stop immediately. also, if it was binding you should be able to feel it as you spin the driveshaft cup.

Its a little tight but the mesh is almost there I guess. Im trying to seal housing with RTV, motor I might run a bead around. The back of the mount has a small gap to and one in the pinion gear adjustment slot.

20230203_175302.jpg

20230203_175350.jpg

back2.jpg

back.jpg

#1 was too loose of mesh, #2 looks great. No need to seal the housing, that'll just make it a pain to clean up next time you do service. just put a small amount of grease in the teeth of the spur gear, then close it up and call it done.

Cool thanks guys. I was going to put thin metal plate with rtv to cover the spur hole. Its seems that could let rocks in and with the case already be sealed be an issue.

Assuming the Kraton has a slot for the spur gear location in the bottom of the chassis like the other 6s vehicles do (I don’t know if it does, I don’t have a Kraton 6s), any small rock that gets in that gap will be ejected through the chassis slot.

Yea so thats the idea which is good when everything is open. Im concerned more about dirt attaching to the spur gear because theres grease on it. But if any little rock got in with that slot open it would be like a pop corn machine. Eventually it would get wedged between the pinion. My idea was to stick a plate with VHB or RTV over it. I know this topic has been discussed and it would be ideal to keep it stock and open. The design of the housing gets a 6 out of ten from me. But it should serve its purpose. The housing is sealed (already did it before I posted) and I can blow in the open end and my cheeks expand and only air goes out through the bearings. It such a high maintenance setup, just hoping this tekno 18 tooth pinion and the spur will hold up for a while. My only other concern is heat but Ill see how it goes. Thanks guys.

An old trick to set the mesh is to put a piece of printer paper between the gears and and lock it down. The second video looks pretty good.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back